Reena’s Exploration Challenge — Woman in Chains

on

Reena likes to delve deep with her Exploration Challenges. Reena says:

Yes, you got it right. [Women are] about half of the world’s population. How do you view it? Are we really walking together with the other half, or just resisting/battling/complementing each other?

PROMPT

Woman – Her Journey

FOR THE NEW ENTRANTS

There is no restriction on the format or the length of the piece. It just has to be your reflection on the prompt from the core.

WOMAN, doing your best to stay one step ahead of men, whatever it takes.

Buying into a sick, materialistic system because wealth protects.

Men think twice about raping a rich woman.

WOMAN, using what you have that men want, to stay alive.

Batting your eyelashes; opening your legs and mouth

to keep from being thrown on the street like a piece of refuse.

WOMAN, teaching your boys to be strong and cruel, so they can attract a woman.

Teaching your boys to be bosses, to rule the materialistic system.

Teaching your girls to be pretty and sexy, to attract a rich man.

The vicious cycle continues, as humans choose to rape and destroy OUR MOTHER Gaia.

WOMAN you can resist the status quo and go your own way.

You can become educated and earn your own wages and live frugally.

You can learn self-defense, so when the men attack, you are ready.

You can choose to teach your sons and daughters a different way –

Sons: teach and show them that kindness comes first, always.

Daughters: teach and show them they have worth beyond their use to men.

Enough of us, enough sons, enough daughters,

over enough time, will build a new world.

MEN, we love you,

We want you,

We need you.

Why do you hurt us?

Enslave us?

Gaslight us?

Discard us?

MEN, before you act,

each and every time —

ask yourself the questions:

Would I do this to my mother?

Would I do this to my daughter?

You better love loving and you better behave
You better love loving and you better behave
Woman in Chains
Woman in Chains

Calls her man the Great White Hope
Says she’s fine, she’ll always cope
Woman in Chains
Woman in Chains

Well I feel lying and waiting is a poor man’s deal
And I feel hopelessly weighed down by your eyes of steel
It’s a world gone crazy
Keeps Woman in Chains

Trades her soul as skin and bones
Sells the only thing she owns
Woman in Chains
Woman in Chains

Men of Stone
Men of Stone

Well I feel deep in your heart there are wounds Time can’t heal
And I feel somebody somewhere is trying to breathe
Well you know what I mean
It’s a world gone crazy
Keeps Woman in Chains

It’s under my skin but out of my hands
I’ll tear it apart but I won’t understand
I will not accept the Greatness of Man

It’s a world gone crazy
Keeps Woman in Chains

So Free Her
So Free Her

Songwriters: Roland Orzabal

1. Oh no… I think men have a lot of things to learn. Strangely enough most of my best friends are women… strong women not batting lashes at all… and I have male friends who think the same.

Bjorn, with your sensitivity, it is no surprise you appreciate strong females. I hope you and your like-minded male friends “call it out” when you see the non-like-minded men act like… [insert bad word here].

2. scotthastiepoet says:

You lay it on the line very well here, Jade – with a balance of real truth… yours is truly a voice to listen to. I’ll be back to read more…

Scott, very high praise. Thank you so much. I don’t think we’ve “met” at dVerse before, but I will be looking for your poems.

3. Glenn Buttkus says:

Like Bjorn, I have many more female friends than men. I have always been attracted to strong women, and have been a advocate for Women’s Rights since the 60’s. I ended up with a strong wife and three daughters; plenty of education for me.

So glad to hear it, Glenn. Appreciating a woman who chooses to be with you as opposed to one who is too fearful to leave is so important for all men to learn. I’ve seen it too many times, with myself and with people I care about, where fear of loss drives men to do all sorts of things…

4. Beverly Crawford says:

My women friends are all strong women, and my male friends are all honorable and respectful….not that I haven’t met a few cads along the way! Great write.

Beverly you are blessed. Glad you liked it.

5. Again a great post. You are so good at this.

Thank you very much, it is appreciated.

6. Grace says:

I like the tribute to the strong woman! And yes, to teach our boys to respect women too.

If we could all agree to at least try out playing nice with each other, just to see where it could take us…

7. Reena Saxena says:

The first part is hard-hitting but realistic. I like how you present a solution after that, and continue with reflections. It is not easy to maintain sharpness and hold attention in a long poem, but you did it so well.

Reena, thank you. The first part was what poured out when I read your prompt, then I thought I had better add some balance.

8. Reena Saxena says:

Reblogged this on Reena Saxena and commented:
    The poem that came tumbling out, but hits with its sharpness and carries us with the flow …. by Jade (msjadeli)

A powerful poem!

Thank you, Sadje. It isn’t necessary to talk about it all of the time, but once in awhile it needs to be spoken.

You’re welcome 😉

10. sanaarizvi says:

Hear, hear! ❤️ This is such a heart-stirring write, Jade! 🙂

Thank you, Sanaa. It came from my heart.

11. BunnyLou says:

Love this! And Women in Chains is one of my all time favorite Tears For Fears songs. You expressed yourself beautifully.

Thank you very much, Bunny. I love that song too, it says so much.

I was just listening to that song…
    It’s so hard to change patterns of behavior, but we must try. We can’t wait for others to do it first. (K)

13. pvcann says:

yes, free her. Besides any woman freed is also a man freed, any woman chained is a man chained too, when we chain one we chain them all, be freed indeed.

14. Indira says:

Powerful poem. Loved this post.

Indira thank you very much. It came from my heart.

1. Indira says: