#SLS– More Than This by Roxy Music

song lyric sunday

Jim Adams is the illustrious host of Song Lyric Sunday. Jim says:

This week the prompt is School/Books/Learning. I would appreciate it if you can be patient, and wait for me to approve your pingbacks.
Here are the “rules”:
  • Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not.
  • Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
  • Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
  • Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
  • Ping back to this post will eventually work, as long as you are being patient, but you can also place your link in the comments if you don’t like to wait.
  • Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
  • Feel free to suggest future prompts.
  • Have fun and enjoy the music.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to All. I wasn’t able to find a song about Ireland for today, but Ireland is mentioned and the cover of the album this song came from is a picture of Ireland.

Roxy-Music-at-Crystal-Pal-001

image link

Per wikipedia: Avalon is the eighth and final studio album by English rock band Roxy Music. Released in May 1982, it was recorded in 1981–82 at Compass Point Studios in Nassau, Bahamas. A single, “More Than This”, preceded the album and was a Top 10 hit in Britain, Australia, and several European countries. Bryan Ferry started working on the material for Avalon while staying at Crumlin Lodge on the west coast of Ireland. Ferry was there with his girlfriend, Lucy Helmore, who would become his wife in 1983. The album cover artwork featured the same lough (lake) that can be seen from the lodge.

Avalon_album_cover

The youtube is showing scenes from the movie, “Lost in Translation,” starring Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson. The message of the song is a question and answer: when will we learn that there is nothing more than this (love.)

More Than This

Roxy Music

I could feel at the time
There was no way of knowing
Fallen leaves in the night
Who can say where they’re blowing
As free as the wind
And hopefully learning
Why the sea on the tide
Has no way of turning

More than this, there is nothing
More than this, tell me one thing
More than this, there is nothing

It was fun for a while
There was no way of knowing
Like dream in the night
Who can say where we’re going
No care in the world
Maybe I’m learning
Why the sea on the tide
Has no way of turning

More than this, you know there is nothing
More than this, tell me one thing
More than this, you know there is nothing

More than this
nothing
More than this
More than this
nothing

Songwriters: Bryan Ferry

1. Paula Light says:

Who cares? This is one of my most favorite songs and Bryan is to die for! ❤️❤️❤️

🙂 he does have that certain something…

2. I had such a teenage crush on Bryan Ferry and this is definitely one of his best – great share :O) x

🙂 glad you like it

3. I’d forgotten about this beautiful song (and I loved that movie!) Excellent choice! 😉

Thank you Felicia!

4. Nice song Li, now I want to watch Lost In Translation again.

Glad you like it, Jim.

5. Mary B says:

Excellent timing for this group! They are being inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 29 this year.

~Mary
    Jingle Jangle Jungle
    Literary Gold

Wow! Didn’t know that! As I was searching for a song, this one jumped out at me.

6. ghostmmnc says:

Good song, but I don’t remember the band or the song. I must have heard it though, because I really did like the movie it played in. 🙂

Glad you enjoyed the song and the movie 🙂

7. pvcann says:

I do like this song, i often feel that Roxy Music never really received the critical acclamation that it should have.

8. hanspostcard says:

What a great song- and when I hear it I always think of that scene in Lost In Translation.

Every time I listen to that CD I’m transported to another place. The cover sets the tone. LiT is one I need to watch again. I remember something about the ending p’d me off…

1. hanspostcard says:

I have always wondered what did Bob whisper to Charlotte?

9. I appreciated your visit on Friday voting in my latest BoTB. I often think about joining the SLS but the weekends are too difficult for me to commit to since that’s my time to share with DH. I enjoyed listening to your song choice for the weekly lyric prompt. Have a blessed week and if time permits, please come check out my A2Z Challenge Theme Reveal post!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, SLS is a fun one but you have to do what you have to do.

10. I love Roxy! Thank you.

My pleasure!