SLS — 2nd offering — Merle Haggard — Mama Tried

on

song lyric sunday

Because I’m feeling guilty for not choosing a song for all the moms out there, I’m posting 2 songs today for SLS.

Haggard - Mama Tried cover.jpg

“Mama Tried” is a song written and recorded by American country music artist Merle Haggard and The Strangers. It was released in July 1968 as the first single and title track from the album Mama Tried. The song became one of the cornerstone songs of his career. It won the Grammy Hall of Fame Award in 1999, and was selected for preservation in the National Recording Registry due to its “cultural, historic, or artistic significance” on March 23, 2016, just 14 days before Haggard’s death.

Mama Tried

The first thing I remember knowing,
Was a lonesome whistle blowing,
And a young un’s dream of growing up to ride,
On a freight train leaving town,
Not knowing where I’m bound,
And no one could change my mind but Mama tried
One and only rebel child,
From a family, meek and mild,
My Mama seemed to know what lay in store
Despite my Sunday learning,
Towards the bad, I kept turning
‘Til Mama couldn’t hold me anymore
I turned twenty-one in prison doing life without parole.
No one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried
Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied
That leaves only me to blame ’cause Mama tried
Dear old Daddy, rest his soul,
Left my Mom a heavy load,
She tried so very hard to fill his shoes
Working hours without rest,
Wanted me to have the best
She tried to raise me right but I refused
I turned twenty-one in prison doing life without parole
No one could steer me right but Mama tried, Mama tried,
Mama tried to raise me better, but her pleading, I denied
That leaves only me to blame ’cause Mama tried
Songwriters: Merle Haggard

Jim Adams is the ever-ready and always-prepared host of Song Lyric Sunday. Jim says:

The theme today is Mom/Mother/Flowers.

Here are the “rules”:

• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not.
  • Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
  • Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
  • Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
  • Ping back to this post will eventually work, as long as you are being patient, but you can also place your link in the comments if you don’t like to wait.
  • Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
  • Feel free to suggest future prompts.
  • Have fun and enjoy the music.

1. hanspostcard says:

You can’t go wrong in choosing a Merle Haggard song! My favorite country artist ever!

Well I saw him in the hobo show last week and you mentioned him yesterday in a post, so yes, Merle’s on the plate today 🙂

2. badfinger20 says:

One of my favorite songs by Merle…a classic.

I do love this song. He had a rough time of it as a kid.

1. badfinger20 says:

If I’m not mistaken they lived in a converted train box car as a home.
        I saw a doc on YouTube a while back about it.

I’d like to see that doc!

1. badfinger20 says:

It’s really short

There is a seven minute version also

3. frequently performed live by the Grateful Dead

I saw they had a version out on youtube but didn’t listen to it.

4. I know this is a Merle Haggard song, but it makes me think of the Grateful Dead.

That’s what “the only deadhead” said. Guess I will have to go out and find that youtube again. Did you know it was written by Merle Haggard? Don’t the GD usually write their own songs?

5. Throughout their career the Grateful Dead played 317 cover songs and 184 original tunes. For me once the Dead covered a song, it became theirs, because I always liked the way they did it.

6. willowdot21 says:

This another great song, I have never heard of Merle Haggard or this song before , also must look up the grateful dead version 💜

🙂 Glad you enjoyed it, Willow. One of the other bloggers I read said that Merle and his mom lived in an abandoned rail car at one point 😦

1. willowdot21 says: