dVerse — Ekphrastic poems – Mary Frances — Ikaria

D1PAUEoX4AAZolP

Mary Frances

Ikaria

From afar, a green memory on grey cloth,
Migratory urbanites rush to its verdant cocoon
Each season, flying on fumes.

Rich capillaries run and play within
And around its circumference,
Where water babies are nourished.

Armanis shed, skivvies donned,
Metamorphosing each summer,
From plated salmon to dragon tadpoles

August’s wane brings regret of reversion
Which some resist — and others refuse;
Immortality’s children, playing in the sun.

Sarah is the host of dVerse today. Sarah says:
Choose a picture [of the choices given of Mary Frances’ work] that speaks to you, and write a poem for it. Mary has given us permission to use her art, but, of course, we must credit her for her work.

1. I love the images you use here. I don’t know what a dragon tadpole is – is it a real thing? In my imagination it’s the thing that grows into a dragon. Maybe it has a fiercer face than an ordinary tadpole, and a fiery tail. Anyhow, I like the idea that this is an island. Now you’ve given me that image, I can see that of course that’s what it is!

Sarah, thank you very much for the feedback. In Chinese mythology, the koi fish morphs into a dragon, which I called a dragon’s tadpole.

2. I love this Jade, and the video you have shared is amazing!

Doesn’t that look like a magical place? Glad you liked the poem, Linda.

1. I did like it! Yes, it does.

3. Glenn Buttkus says:

Ikaria–you’re not heavy, see, I carry ya; smile. I believe thatm our soul is already immortal, moving from one host to another, in one dimensional spoke in the Cosmic wheel.

lol didn’t even see ‘I carry ya’ in there. It works for the island’s magical properties. I really hope you’re right about our souls being immortal.

4. Reena Saxena says:

Immortality’s children, playing in the sun …. I could see them changing color as the sun sets, and reappearing at dawn.

I love those images, Reena ❤

1. Reena Saxena says:

Yes. They are beautiful.

5. kim881 says:

I like the way you describe the ‘Migratory urbanites rush[ing] to its verdant cocoon /Each season, flying on fumes’ and ‘Rich capillaries’ – the privileged few taking over a little Greek island for the summer, oblivious to the effect they have on the environment and its inhabitants.

Thank you, Kim.

So many beautiful images. I love the idea of a green memory stitched onto cloth. (K)

Glad you enjoyed it Kerfe.

7. Wonderful imagery. 🙂

Thanks JP 🙂

8. Frank Hubeny says:

Very nice praise of Ikaria. In the video, the T-Shirt reading “I like people who smile when it’s raining” is something I will have to remember since it has been raining here for a few days.

It is a good one to remember. We’re getting some here also which we need.

9. Such a place is one to dream of… love all the mythology you have weaved into your word

Thank you Bjorn it is one to dream of.

10. Oh I loved your poem and watching it unfold. I did not understand the title until I watched the video. I want to go there!!! Wonderful Lisa 🙂💕

Thanks, Christina, it does look wonderful ❤

11. lynn__ says:

Now I want to visit Ikaria 🙂 Beautiful poem to fit the image…a glimpse of heaven, I’d say!

It does look like heaven. Glad you enjoyed the poem and the video, Lynn.