#MM Tale Weaver #228 – Cooking – 20th June

on

IMG_0154

There is skill and art to cooking. Cooking is an exercise in experimentation based on experience. When one’s experiment is successful, sometimes the recipe is written down and shared. Not all cooks like to write down recipes, and some don’t like to share their recipes.

In the olden days you got your recipes from friends and family or from the newspaper home section or from a cookbook. Nowadays allrecipes.com has any possible recipe you could want and often has pictures and preparation videos.

The irony of having every recipe at your digital fingertips is that there are a decreasing number of individuals who are cooking from scratch. The convenience of pre-packaged meals in a time when parents are working outside of the home makes them easy to turn to. One unfortunate reality with pre-packaged foods is that the additives, most not healthy for you, come with the food. It’s a good thing that the human body is as hardy as it is. Or is it?

Getting back to cooking, I grew up in an era where the women did all of the cooking, and cook they did. There was a hot meal waiting on the table for when their men came home from work. There was at least one hot meal a day prepared, and all of the family members sat around the table to eat it. There was a great variety of foods being prepared. No vegetable was exempt. The meats ranged from animal, to cut, to ground. Grilling wasn’t much of an event back then, with just tabletop charcoal grills available.

Canning was a standard in households when I grew up. Canning days would get relatives and friends together and make large batches of tomatoes, carrots, corn, pickles, peaches, cherries, relishes, jams. There are pleasant memories of these times.

Cooking from scratch today is cheaper than fast food, restaurant dining, and pre-packaged dinners. It takes time and planning and room in your freezer to store the extra portions you should make when you take the time to cook from scratch.

I’m a good cook. Now that I live alone, I rotate my standard meals and seldom cook anything “fancy.” In the back of my mind though, I know if an occasion should arise where my cooking skills are needed, I can rise to the occasion.

[387 words]

Michael is the host of Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie’s Tale Weaver.  Michael says:
This week consider the notion of cooking. We have all had experiences, some good and most likely some not so good.  Write your response in 500 words and link it using the linking toll below.  Go where the prompt takes you and have fun.

1. Sandra J says:

I wish I could cook well. I know I could really, I just don’t have the patience. It is a art and a skill to cook well.

If you really want to do it, try something easy and build on it.

1. Sandra J says:

That is exactly what I need to do, start small.

2. About the only thing that I ever cook anymore is breakfast.

What do you make for breakfast?

3. Jules says:

Both of my folks cooked. Were good cooks. Me I use a recipe as a guide line. I do try to cook more at home. Stock the freezer to save some pennies. But I have easy stand-bys that don’t need measuring. Like stir fry, Dutch oven baking, Dump stuff in the crock pot…
    I did try to cook fish in paper – that turned out OK I stuck veg in with the fish too.

I still make my plates fancy – since we eat with our eyes too! My Hubby appreciates that.

Interesting about cooking in paper. The fish market lady told me to wrap the fish in swiss chard leaves, then foil, for the grill. It turned out dang good.

1. Jules says:

I watch the cooking channel. I get ideas.
        But simple to me is best. Protein or not, variety of veg, fruit… and let us not forget dark chocolate! Well not all on the same plate. 😉

dark chocolate in some form for every meal has my vote

1. Jules says:

One should always eat desert first, after all you need to have room for that! 😉

4. During the week it is just toast and coffee, but on weekends I make eggs or pancakes with sausage.

Do you cook for your whole family on the weekend?

5. I don’t really have a family.

Don’t you live with your niece and her kids? Maybe you were talking about them in a fictional story?

6. I rent a room in a house owned by my cousin.

That is great. I do feel that cooking for a family from scratch is way better The then the packaged meals. But if it’s for a single person it does seem like a bother. But home cooked is way better because it’s made from real and fresh ingredients.

Agreed, Sadje. I cook from scratch for myself, but very simple meals. Your family is blessed if you cook from scratch for them.

I do, but the taste varies vastly.

8. Cooking from scratch is the best way to de-stress for me. Simple, nutritious meals.

It is relaxing to cook…

9. Michael says:

Good to know you have confidence in your cooking skills, we are having a family dinner next week as we have three birthdays to celebrate within the week so I will have to make a bigger effort than normal.
    Thanks Jade, for sharing your thoughts this week.

You are welcome, Michael, and if you want to tell us what you plan on making for the family dinner, our mouths can start watering ahead of time. 🙂

1. Michael says:

The plan will be something Italian

10. badfinger20 says:

I do the grilling and I bake cakes once in a while…that is about it…I’m not that good. But I love to eat lol.

From my experience, men seem to do a better job at grilling. They have the patience and focus to get it just right. I hope that doesn’t sound sexist. I’m sure there are plenty of excellent female grillers.

1. badfinger20 says:

No it’s not sexist… yea my wife doesn’t like fooling with charcoal and all the fun that goes with it. I enjoy it…sometimes in the dead of winter I’ll fire it up just for a change.

11. Carol Anne says: