#SLS — Double Feature — Old King by Neil Young and Damned Old Dog by kdlang

on

song lyric sunday

Jim is the ever-inventive host of Song Lyric Sunday. Jim says:
Zodiac animals being Rat/Ox/Tiger/Rabbit/Dragon/Snake/Horse/Sheep/Monkey/ Rooster/Dog/Pig is our Song Lyric Sunday theme this week.

Here are the “rules”:

• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not.
  • Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
  • Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
  • Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
  • Ping back to this post will eventually work, as long as you are being patient, but you can also place your link in the comments if you don’t like to wait.
  • Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
  • Feel free to suggest future prompts.
  • Have fun and enjoy the music.

Image result for neil youngimage link and to good 2013 variety article on Neil Young

Harvest Moon is the 19th studio album by Canadian musician Neil Young, released on November 2, 1992. Many of the musicians appearing on it also appeared on his 1972 album Harvest.

King went a-running after deer
Wasn’t scared of jumping off the truck in high gear
King went a-sniffing and he would go
Was the best old hound dog
I ever did know

I had a dog and his name was King
I told the dog about everything
There in my truck the dog and I
Then one day the King up and died
Then I thought about the times we had
Once when I kicked him when he was bad
Old King sure meant a lot to me
But that hound dog is history

That old King was a friend of mine
Never knew a dog that was half as fine
I may find one, you never do know
Because I still got a long way to go
I had a dog and his name was King
I told the dog about everything
Old King sure meant a lot to me
But that hound dog is history
Songwriter: Neil Young

K.D. Lang at her home.image link and good 2018 NYT article on k.d. lang

Damned Old Dog” is a track on a compilation album, “Tame Yourself ,“ which was released by Rhino Records on April 30, 1991 to benefit People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) by Canadian musical artist, k.d.lang.  What’s aggravating is that youtube has taken the Tame Yourself version off and added this one, which is almost identical to it, EXCEPT for the steel guitar parts, which are not as good.  What a disappointment.  Wish I could upload the song from my CD, but I don’t know how to do it.

Do I want to be a dog
Any diddlin’ male would do
if I was a damned old dog
I wouldn’t be fussy for you

Do I wanna be a housebroken dog
Eat better than an Indian
If I was a damned old dog
I’d just wanna lick your chin again

I thought that I could convince you
I thought that I could get through
Chew out a hole in the fence you
Barked up between me and you

Limpin’ around in the moonlight
Coverin’ up what I did
Words decompose all around me
Nuisances that I committed

Do I wanna be a dog
Cut the heat out of me
If I was a damned old dog
I wouldn’t have to damn well human be
(Words & Music by Margaret A Roche)

I’m a dog in the Chinese zodiac so I chose “dog songs.”  Here is a picture of my dog, Chauncey, who I was blessed to have as a part of my world from 2004 — 2016.  He was the best buddy anyone could ask for.  I miss him.  I hope he’s there, waiting for me, in the beyond.

chaun at rest_061209

1. hanspostcard says:

I wonder what the most famous song ever about a dog is? Off the top of my head Martha My Dear comes to mind but maybe there are others- oh what was the infamous song about the dog dying that flipped Casey Kasem out? Shannon- Henry Gross…

Shannon was about a dog? I should write a poem about Chauncey. Why was Casey flipping out?

1. hanspostcard says:

Shannon I believe was one of The Beach Boys dogs- Carl Wilson? Henry Gross was friends with him- the dog died and he wrote a song about the Wilson dog.. Yes a infamously funny outtake you can find on youtube- Casey comes out of an uptempo song and is then reading a long distance dedication about a dog dying and he flips out on the producer. It’s hilarious. Let me find it.

2. hanspostcard says:

lol I don’t blame Casey!

p.s. thanks for finding it, Hans. Worth a chuckle 🙂

4. Nice music Li. It is so sad when your dog dies.

Thank you, Jim. I don’t think the pain will ever go away. As you can see I’m way behind on everything today. My kids will be here at any minute, but I will be listening to SLS selections today at some point.

5. willowdot21 says:

Both songs are brilliant, I love Neil Young and K.D Lang has such an amazing voice…both perfect for the prompt.🙂💜

Thanks Willow, yes on all 🙂

1. willowdot21 says:

😊🧡😊🧡

6. pvcann says:

Can’t go wrong with these two!

7. Carol Anne says: