Snap-in Tools

on

Image result for dental implant smile

image link

Greeny had been suffering with a broken tooth for a week while her dentist was on vacation but today was the day of her appointment. The dentist, happy, tanned, and smiling, was ready to work again after his relaxing time on the ocean. His assistant took an x-ray and confirmed the took was cracked and could not be salvaged. They turned on the nitrous oxide, which made the shots in the gum and palate hurt just a little less. Soon Greeny was feeling jolly.

While the dentist went and worked on another patient as the shots took effect, the assistant showed Greeny one of the marvels of modern dentistry, a dental plate that literally snaps into place in your mouth. In order to do it, two dental implants on either side of the mouth are installed, then “snap” are installed, where the denture plate has the other side of the snap. Amazing but costly: $10,000. Stats on satisfaction with the snap-in dentures aside from cost is promising.

The dentist came back into the room and the tooth was out in a matter of minutes. Greeny was relieved that the tooth was gone but worried about the gap it created in her smile. She left the office with a lot to think about.

Fandango’s FOWC is stats and the Word of the Day Challenge is jolly.

True story?

Yes, but I marked it fiction.

I thought there were similarities!

Yeppers. Good catch 🙂

2. Is your tooth better now?

My tooth is gone to tooth heaven, and the socket is pounding 😦 Thank you for asking, Jim.

3. nothing worse than a toothache and $10,000 bucks doesn’t sound too bad while the pounding is going on, but yikes!!!

As long as I don’t smile too wide it isn’t noticeable, but who wants to curb a smile 😦 It has to heal up for 8 weeks now so there is time to think.

4. hanspostcard says:

Sorry about your tooth- and everything that goes with that.

Thank you, Hans. It’s been miserable.

1. hanspostcard says:

I had a similar problem around 20 years ago I can’t recall being in more pain.

I think God chose my teeth as the target of all of the bad karma I have earned. From my first dentist, who thought the solution to every problem was to pull the tooth, to other variations of bad dentistry, until I finally found an excellent dentist; however my teeth were in such bad shape by the time I got to him, that he continues to make heroic efforts to save the ones left whenever possible.

1. hanspostcard says:

We must have went to the same first dentist! He was known for filling teeth with the cheapest material he could find I believe. I know a number of folks who went to him who are paying the price now.

1. hanspostcard says:

I knew the fella pretty well he hated being a dentist but i think it was one of those things- he got into it- was making good money- felt stuck in his job.

I love my current dentist. He’s good at what he does, but he absolutely hates to give pain to anyone, which, as a dentist I’m not sure how you can get around. He’s not only a good dentist but a good human being. Your dentist sounds unethical in that he was not good at what he did but he continued for the money. He’s lucky he hasn’t been sued!

1. hanspostcard says:

Oh I think he has been sued. He is no longer a dentist- last I heard he was working as a stock boy at a grocery store. Not that there is anything wrong with that- there isn’t -but after making that dentist money…he was a lousy dentist. I wish I had never gone to him.

5. ghostmmnc says:

Fun story about the terrible tooth.
    Hope your mouth is feeling some better today. Lots to consider with the snap in plate, plus the cost! 🙂

Thanks Barbara. They were talking about a partial plate also yesterday, which seems less extreme, and way cheaper.

6. badfinger20 says:

Hmmm….wonder what inspired this? All medical is crazy priced. No one can afford to be sick.

You are so right, Max. I was watching some other youtubes on the snap-ins and before they didn’t snap back out and you had to go to hygienist to have them irrigated underneath every so often. They keep improving things but then they jack the price up more. I’m hoping by the time I”m ready for these things they will be a breeze and cheap (I can dream, yes?)

1. badfinger20 says:

Yea they just keep going up. I like the screw in’s also but they are crazy high

7. selizabryangmailcom says:

I want to be sarcastic and say, “Well, at least your dentist was nice and rested and tanned from his vacation–that’s all that matters!” but actually it probably IS a good thing since it helps him do such good work when he gets back.
    Sorry, though……..

If I didn’t know what a hard worker he was and that he rarely takes vacations, it might have bothered me. It was his and his wife’s 30th anniversary.