Coloring Club Plus — 7/12/19

on

July 12

July 12a

There are so many well-known songs from this album, I decided to choose one less known.  In the materials at wikipedia it calls it a concept album about the American South.  I have no idea whether it’s a concept album about the American South.  I’ve never spent any time of note in the South.

The Band is the second studio album by the Band, released on September 22, 1969. It is also known as The Brown Album. According to Rob Bowman’s liner notes for the 2000 reissue, The Band has been viewed as a concept album, with the songs focusing on people, places and traditions associated with an older version of Americana.

After unsuccessfully attempting sessions at a studio in New York, the Band set up shop in the pool house of a home rented by the group in the Hollywood Hills. Located at 8850 Evanview Drive in Los Angeles, California, the home was once owned by Judy Garland, Wally Cox and, at the time the group worked there, Sammy Davis, Jr. According to Robbie Robertson, the location was chosen to give the songs a Basement Tapes–like feel in what was termed “a clubhouse concept.”

“Across the Great Divide” is a song written by Robbie Robertson. It was first released by The Band on their 1969 album The Band and was subsequently released on several live and compilation albums. According to music critic Barney Hoskyns, it was one of several songs that contributed to The Band being something of a concept album about the American South.

Jaime Royal “Robbie” Robertson, OC (born July 5, 1943), is a Canadian musician, songwriter, film composer, producer, actor, and author. Robertson is best known for his work as lead guitarist and primary songwriter for The Band, and for his career as a solo recording artist.

Standin’ by your window in pain
A pistol in your hand
And I beg you, dear Molly, girl,
Try and understand your man the best you can

Across the Great Divide
Just grab your hat, and take that ride
Get yourself a bride
And bring your children down to the river side

I had a goal in my younger days
I nearly wrote my will
But I changed my mind for the better
I’m at the still, had my fill and I’m fit to kill

Across the Great Divide
Just grab your hat, and take that ride
Get yourself a bride
And bring your children down to the river side

Pinball machine and a queen
I nearly took the bus
Tried to keep my hands to myself
They say it’s a must, but who can ya trust?
Harvest moon shinin’ down from the sky
A weary sign for all
I’m gonna leave this one horse town
Had to stall ’til the fall, now I’m gonna crawl
Across the Great Divide

Now Molly dear, don’t ya shed a tear
Your time will surely come
You’ll feed your man chicken ev’ry Sunday
Now tell me, hon, what ya done with the gun?

Across the Great Divide
Just grab your hat, and take that ride
Get yourself a bride
And bring your children down to the river side

Songwriters: J R ROBERTSON, (Jaime Royal “Robbie” Robertson)

1. hanspostcard says:

I still can’t get my mind wrapped around the fact that this album was recorded in Los Angeles. One of my handful of favorite albums ever! Great selection.

2. pvcann says:

Exceptional colouring, and I just adore the band.

Thank you, Paul on the compliment. Yes, they rank right up there for sure.

1. pvcann says:

They sure do.

3. badfinger20 says:

Thanks, Lisa…I needed this song this morning. Excellent choice as always! They really were pioneers while recording this…this was not standard practice needless to say. How many albums were recorded in a pool house?

Yes they were pioneers, in more ways than one. How many were recorded in a basement of a big pink house? How many can say they traveled Europe with a #1 folk singer when he transitioned from acoustic to electric? These guys are one of a kind. Glad you enjoyed today’s selection 🙂

1. badfinger20 says:

Robbie said he wanted to do it because he was being told it couldn’t be done…the basement also.

I love Robbie! I didn’t like the way Scorcese focused on him in The Last Waltz, which biased me against him for a long time, and that’s a shame. Glad I woke up. Robbie’s a unique individual and talented in so many ways. I love his guitar playing style also. Never a grandstander or hot dogger, he gives the songs exactly what they need.

1. badfinger20 says:

I felt the same way after reading Levon’s book also. He is a no frills guitar player and an incredible songwriter. Very level headed person.
            To be in that band… he had to want to strangle some of them at times because of their habits/problems.

Danko and Manuel seemed positively goofy in a lot of those scenes, like had done too many drugs or something. Hudson seemed cool. Levon had a sharp tongue and might have been spiteful, but he also seemed like a deep thinker like Robbie.

1. badfinger20 says:

Manuel was probably the worse one in abusing…yea Levon could be very spiteful and hold a grudge. Levon was one of a kind…great drummer and vocalist…

4. Nice one Li. This song is very soothing to listen to, it makes me want to just grab my hat, and take that ride and then get myself a bride.

with chicken dinner every Sunday. Thanks Jim 🙂