bad boys (and girls)

on

Image result for hands in handcuffs

I had lunch today with some friends and former co-workers. One still works at the place I retired from, two have retired from it, and all three are actively involved in the community in one capacity or another. Compared to them, I’m out of touch with the pulse of the community – by choice.

These lunches with former co-workers help me keep up to date on the news just enough to satisfy but not so much that it overwhelms. What is difficult to hear is when former probationers commit heinous crimes, which is what I heard today.

The universe would be much easier to understand if things were as this-that “bipolar” as so many humans like to believe it is. Reality is varying shades of grey. What I’m thinking when I say this is about juveniles who commit crimes. I’m torn in two about it and have been for years. On the one hand, my heart goes out to the kids, as I know many/most times they have come from multiple trauma backgrounds and have had to adapt to survive; it’s just that the ways they survive many times involve illegal acts. On the other hand there is a great misperception by the public that “they are just wayward kids, give them a chance.” The ones who say that have not been victimized by them or had loved ones harmed/raped/killed by them. There are kids who are (undiagnosed) sociopaths out there that would just as soon shoot you as look at you. Yes, they probably – no, almost certainly – had multiple traumas growing up, but it doesn’t change the fact that they are dangerous.

Having seen it from both ends of the pole, I am caught in the middle. MOST juvenile delinquents are not dangerous and menacing; however a small percentage are and those are the ones who need to stay locked up. They can be given plenty of perks and privileges but from behind bars.

Fandango’s FOWC is news and the Word of the Day Challenge is universe.

You have seen the system up close and you know it’s problems.

Thank you, Sadje, yes I have and do.

2. Marleen says:

I am thinking of volunteering at a local garden. I have, subsequent to forwarding my contact information, learned that a large number of people there are performing community service by order. This makes me wonder how advisable the idea is (for my sake). On the other hand, I think it could be good (for I don’t know who) for more ordinary people (like me) to be there. What do you think?

I think it could be a good thing for them and for you, and I think you will be safe while you’re working at the gardens. It’s outside of the setting I’d be most worried about, like if someone asked you for a ride home, or wanted your address or phone number, etc. Without knowing why each was ordered community service it’s an unknown factor you need to be aware of.

3. hanspostcard says:

There is nothing wrong at all with being out of touch- You probably need to be a little out of touch from that now..

Yes I do, Hans. I did my time.

1. hanspostcard says:

that is how I feel.

It’s a labor of love, our jobs, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t exhausting.

4. Having truama while growing up does not give one the licence to be dangerous to the society! You are also right that most juvenile delinquents are not dangerous.
    It can be emotionally draining…perhaps it’s good you are a bit out of touch.

Yes, Punam, exactly, about all of it.