#Haikai Challenge #112 (11/10/19): Veterans Day

To our soldiers, living and passed on, I thank you.
Please accept these humble poems to honor you.

Trained sacrifices
To appease warmongers —
White crosses, green hills

Image result for poppies in fields

Poppies pale mimics
of fields blossoming red –
Tears remember.

Image result for war medal on american soldier in wheelchair

Shiny medals dance
on the chest of a hero –
wheel-chaired, he accepts

Image result for Armistice Day

Armistice Day
Blood faucet turns right
One half smiles; the whole sighs
Death’s sickle dries

Frank J. Tassone is the host of Haikai Challenge.  Frank says:
This week, write the haikai poem of your choice (haiku, senryu, haibun, tanka, haiga, renga, etc.) that alludes to Veterans Day, Beaver Moon, or both!

Re: Veteran’s Day — coincides with other holidays including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day which are celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. At the urging of major U.S. veteran organizations, Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day in 1954.

image 1 link here
image 2 link here
image 3 link here
image 4 link here

1. Real good stuff Li.

Thank you, Jim. Many of my relatives are/were veterans. They can’t be honored enough in my opinion.

1. simplywendi says:

Amen, they cannot be honored enough! I worked at a VA hospital until I could no longer work due an illness……..it was the best job ever and a piece of my heart never left.

Wendi, that would be a tough job to do, but so rewarding as well, I would imagine.

1. simplywendi says:

It was mentally challenging but I absolutely loved it. I feel so blessed to have worked there. 🙂

2. Reblogged this on Frank J. Tassone and commented:
    #Haiku Happenings #3: Jade Li’s latest #photo haiku sequence for my current #haikai challenge!

3. Jules says:

Stunning.
    I actually did a solo renga just for this prompt;
    relatable ku

Thank you and glad you liked the poems. I just read yours and commented at your page 🙂

4. merrildsmith says:

You expressed this so well–honoring those who served, but I think too many forget the horrors of war.

I wish I could disagree, Merril. Only among those who have nobody risking death in war are in favor of them.

5. Indira says:

Excellent take.

Indira, thank you.

1. Indira says:

Welcome, dear.

We must remember both the sacrifice and the horrors of war…and perhaps someday we can learn to live without the need for the sacrifice. (K)

WELL SAID, Kerfe.

7. Carol Anne says:

Beautifully expressed! I liked it very much!