dVerse — haibun — Today I’m Thankful

I woke up this morning to a light fog hovering over the field. The temperature is even warmer today than yesterday. Most leaves have been washed and/or blown off of the trees, so the view out back is fairly unobstructed.

The bird feeders are full from yesterday. They draw in ever more diverse species. A young possum acts as clean-up duty under them, contenting his wee self on the crunchy hulls of the seeds and other crumbs.

Both cats are curled in their favorite sleeping spots. When I slipped out to run a few errands, they barely noticed. On the way back I traveled one of the main roads in and out of the area. It had been worked on this past summer for the entire five or so miles leading between the old highway and the lake. Part of the work was widening the shoulders on both sides to the extent they become safe for bicyclists.

Old man, new bike lane
Snug helmet, thick overcoat –
Bright smile in grey sky

Frank J. Tassone is today’s host for dVerse.  Frank says:
This week, let us consider gratitude: Its essence, those reasons we have for feeling it, and what our lives—and our world—may look like if we live it.

Use this as your jumping-off point and write a haibun that alludes to gratitude. For those new to haibun, the form consists of one to a few paragraphs of prose—usually written in the present tense—that evoke an experience and are often non-fictional/autobiographical. They may be preceded or followed by one or more haiku—nature-based, using a seasonal image—that complement without directly repeating what the prose stated.

Image by Sheena Graham-George

1. It must have been me on that bicycle… sounds like a wonderful ride… just like mine to work

lol it is a beautiful stretch of road

2. There’s something joyful about being on a bicycle just for the fun of it. I’m not into lycra and competitiveness. I love your haiku.

Yes there is, Sarah, and I’m a non-lyra-ite also. Glad you enjoyed the haiku. His smile brightened my day.

3. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

I liked the detail in your descriptions–a very strong sense of place. A very tidy and interesting first-hand recall and haibun.

Thank you, Glenn, glad you enjoyed it.

4. kanzensakura says:

Wonderful haibun full of memories. At least the old man is smiling! Love the details about the possum clearning up the crumbs under the birdfeeder.

🙂 Thanks Toni!

5. gillena cox says:

Wishing the mist clears to sooo much happiness today

Much🌻love

Thank you much, Gillena.

6. Rob Kistner says:

Wonderful haibun Lisa! Thank you for including me in your morning. 😉

lol Rob, was that you I saw??? I should have waved 😉

7. Gratitude exhudes from every image in this iconically present haibun!

🙂 Thanks so much, Frank.

8. This is lovely! 🙂

9. I love all the details in your haibun and your haiku is endearing.

10. rothpoetry says:

I love your story. The simplicity of life is such a gift!~ W have so much to be thankful! I am always thankful when the county finally makes the roads drivable again!

Thanks Dwight. Isn’t that funny when we think of drivable roads as a treat? 😉

1. rothpoetry says:

With more and more cars that becomes the reality!

11. calmkate says:

delightful, I love cycling 🙂

12. Sabio Lantz says:

Superb — no sanctimonious signaling, but instead pure vision of the day. Nicely done.

Sabio, glad you enjoyed it. It’s my life 🙂

It’s all those little things. (K)

14. When we take the time to observe the present, and not be swept up in the anxieties of what we cannot see.

15. lynn__ says:

This is heart-warming gratitude for the simple joys of living…lovely, Jade!

Thanks, Lynn 🙂

1. lynn__ says:

My pleasure 🙂

16. Jules says:

Reminds me of a roadway here that used to be a single lane low bridge – finally it got widened. I think it was because the last cornfield was sold to make a 55 and older community. And they had to make the road safe. As it was on a township border the two communities could never get together to ‘fix’ it. I’m happy they sort of fixed the road, but adding sidewalks would have made it even safer…

(Oh in traditional sweet potato casserole remember to top it with mini marshmallows…)

One of my old co-workers used to put coconut milk in his. Haven’t tried it yet but it might be tasty 🙂