dVerse — apostrophe — Cool Relations

Dear Snow, who comes and goes at whim,
Dangling, tangling scarves here and there,
Must you be so fickle and play until you stay?
Perhaps this is why, when bundled, I
love crunching you beneath my boots?

Puny hairless human, how could I not try
to toy with beings so ill-equipped for joy?
Never once have you dared to dunk
Yourself into me and be a living popsicle.
Your shells and shields refuse to yield.

The first stanza is speaking to the snow, and the second is the snow responding back.

Amaya is today’s host of dVerse.  Amaya says:
Tonight, I challenge you to a two-part prompt.
1. Write a poem using apostrophe, and you can name your object/recipient, or choose to be more cryptic than declaring, “O Love…” for instance.
2. This part is optional, or you can skip the first part and just share this portion. Write a response from the perspective of your object/recipient, which will in essence also use apostrophe.

image:  “Secrets in the Snow” by Debbie Miller

1. I do actually remember being dunked into that snow… either falling when skiing or as part of “games” from bullies…

But doing snow-angels would be fun.

Naked?? It is the barrier between the snow and the skin that the snow snickers at 🙂 I do love to play in the snow but not naked. Snow-angels are best but snowmen are close.

1. Only naked at face-value… 🙂

2. kim881 says:

I’m so glad your snow replied, Jade! Even if it did call us puny hairless humans. 🙂

3. Hmm. I think the games snow likes to play might not be good for humans. I like the innocent, dangerous voice of your snow, like a giant toddler.

Giant Toddler with an innocent, dangerous voice, I love it.

4. kanzensakura says:

I agree with Sarah. This is perfect. So this is an apostrophe, hey?

Toni, your guess is as good as mine 🙂 Glad you liked it.

1. kanzensakura says:

I always like your poetry Lisa. It isn’t pretentious and it doesn’t try too hard. It just is and that is, delightful.

Toni, that may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my poetry. ❤ Thank You ❤

Some seasonal fun. I remember those snow angels…(K)

6. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

I think this rocks the prompt. An alternate title might have been THE ARROGANCE OF SNOW or POPSICLES R US. Smile.

7. I have not seen any snow since I moved to Florida.

When did you move to FL? Do you miss snow? I don’t mind snow. It is the grey skies that get me.

8. 2011 and I have had enough snow for the rest of my life.

9. What fun Lisa! It made me smile 🙂💕

🙂 I’m glad.

Good one Li. We indeed are puny in front of nature.

11. How funny. The snow sees all the creatures roll around in its fluffy white, but then here we are in our ridiculous multicolored poofy wear. I like how each took (or would take) pleasure in a little aggression toward the other: the crunching beneath the boot, the irresistible popsicle. What a fun write!

🙂 So happy you enjoyed the romp, Amaya.

12. Reena Saxena says:

Your shells and shields, refuse to yield — speaks a lot more other than snow.

I’m glad you picked up on that Reena 🙂

13. rothpoetry says:

I really like the way you went both ways here speaking from both perspectives,

Thanks, Dwight!

14. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the Snow’s perspective: “Puny hairless human, how could I not try
    to toy with beings so ill-equipped for joy?”

15. pvcann says:

Brings back memories of snow so long ago, but most of all I like how you work that apostrophe.

🙂 Thanks Paul! I had fun with this one.

1. pvcann says:

Yes, I thought you might have, it’s in the flow.

16. rivrvlogr says:

Back in New York, I spent many winters as a popsicle!

17. Anonymous says:

I love the humour here. It gave me a good chuckle. excellent use of apostrophe too.

Thanks, Someone, glad you enjoyed it.

18. Jules says:

I picture the clouds of the North wind forming a big white bearded face of some weather god laughing in triumph at dumping tons of unexpected white flakes…

We just heard on the news that one state close by has stated that people can no longer warm there cars (leave them empty in their driveways) for more than 5 or ten minutes – subject to a fine. How are you supposed to drive safely in winter without a car up to temp? Some politician wasn’t thinking too clearly with that new ‘law’.

I like that image of the weather god. Nuisance laws are just that.

19. Excellent response Jade. ‘Puny hairless human’ made me smile!

Glad you enjoyed it, Linda 🙂

20. As always, you rock!
    My favorite line.”Must you be so fickle and play until you stay?” I just love it when a rhyme sneaks in!
    I like the reference to those shield we humans erect towards anything that might be unlike us or uncomfortable or un-anything in fact. Perhaps, once in a while we need to answer such invitations?

Christine, thank you with your comment, which also rocks. The rhymes were snuck in with purpose — each line has one 🙂 And to your question — YES!