dVerse — Prosery 10 — Between heartbeats

stiletto switchblade

Harvey pulled starlets into his sphere, sure it was his irresistible sex appeal. Starlets knew that Harvey was the film industry power player who could rocket them into cinematic top billing orbit.

What starlets didn’t know about Harvey was that his lure was more like a glue trap. Once the hotel room door closed, orifices would be violated and the beauties would be evacuating his fluids for days.

Mira’s little sister leapt from a tall building afterwards.

Mira maneuvered her way to an “audition.” While Harvey went to change into his bathrobe, Mira positioned her lanky legs just-so. Returning and seeing her, niceties were forgotten. He lunged with a wolfish grin, his tongue lolling to the side. The stiletto’s aim was true. Harvey’s heart stopped at “lub.”

She thought, ‘There are moments caught between heart-beats.’

She wiped the knife on his robe and left.

[144 words]

Kim from Writing in North Norfolk is today’s host of dVerse.   Kim says:
I’d like you to write a story that includes the following line from Louis MacNeice’s poem, “Coda”:

‘There are moments caught between heart-beats’.

1. 2robins says:

Wow. I love how you brought this right into our current events!

Thank you, Sadje.

You’re most welcome

2. Gina says:

You write thrillers so well, I confess I was holding my breath a little, you made every last word of the 144 work hard and deliver. One of the best stories I have read in a long time.

Gina, thank you very much.

3. kim881 says:

I love the way you’ve turned well-known current events into a tense story, Jade! I also like how you start by juxtaposing Harvey’s view of himself with that of the starlets, before introducing the glue trap – yuck! – and then introduce the tragic catalyst for the action of the story in an isolated one-liner – and end it with another.

Thank you for your lovely feedback, Kim.

4. calmkate says:

lol great fantasy I bet many women have had about him!

Super well written about a current controversy … giving starlets a few ideas!

Kate, thanks. I bet you’re right.

5. Maybe that’s the best way to deal with men like ‘Harvey’.

One way to reduce the human population, as quite a few would be “taken out” if that happened. They are everywhere.

1. I’d like to think times and attitudes are changing, but it must be hard to let go of the top place when you’ve been sitting in it for so many thousands of years…

6. pvcann says:

A delicious vengeance, using the fetish as the weapon too, a desired just desert.

🙂 Thanks, Paul.

1. pvcann says:

Pleasure Lisa.

7. This is an amazing take on the current events and to accomplish it in 144 words is no mean feat!

Punam, thank you. Yes, and I’m afraid after what I heard yesterday, the two cases they chose to prosecute him on are weak ones. Why!?!? They have 90 different women who have stepped forward and choose 2 weak cases?

1. You are welcome.
        Infuriating to say the least! So easy for powerful men to manipulate. Makes one’s blood boil!

8. I wonder how many of his victims have fantasized about this. A powerful story Lisa.

Thank you, Linda. Victims and family members of victims…

9. rothpoetry says:

Some say revenge is sweet… but it always seems to leave a scar!
    Great story!

I hear you, Dwight, about revenge. Karma has a way of taking care of things without having to lift a finger. In “Harvey’s” case it was more of a public service.

10. I wonder if the current revenge is not really even sweeter… maybe a quick stiletto is really preferable to the humiliation Harvey is facing today. but the story was great.

Great comment, Bjorn. May be….

11. merrildsmith says:

Great job on this. I’m sure many women have had this fantasy. At least 100 women have allegations against him. I just finished writing a book on sexual harassment, so his name might have come up. 😉
    Over the weekend, we saw the new movie, “The Assistant,” in which Julia Garner plays the assistant to a Harvey Weinstein-type character.

Merril, good for you on writing a book on a pervasive phenomenon in human society. Glad “he” is mentioned. First time hearing about “The Assistant” and now must see it.

1. merrildsmith says:

I put a link to the trailer in my Monday Morning Musings, but I’m sure you can find it on your own. It just opened in Philadelphia last week.

12. A fanciful dream of many, I’m sure. Love this, Lisa!

🙂 Thanks, Sara!