A2Z 2020 — essential oils — D — using essential oils for depression

D letter

Nowadays, use of alternative and complementary therapies with mainstream medicine has gained momentum. Aromatherapy is one of the complementary therapies which use essential oils as the major therapeutic agents to treat several diseases. The essential or volatile oils are extracted from the flowers, barks, stem, leaves, roots, fruits and other parts of the plant by various methods. It came into existence after scientists deciphered the antiseptic and skin permeability properties of essential oils. Inhalation, local application and baths are the major methods used in aromatherapy that utilize these oils to penetrate the human skin surface with marked aura. Once the oils are in the system, they remodulate themselves and work in a friendly manner at the site of malfunction or at the affected area. — from Science Direct

People react to depression in different ways. The biggest danger when it comes to depression is suicide, which is why it is important to seek professional help. The use of essential oils is never to be used as a substitute for consulting with your health professional.

Depression can be caused by a medical condition (e.g. hormonal imbalance, post-natal developments, thyroid disorders) and/or a psychological factor.

There is a belief (fear?) by some that if you seek professional help you will be prescribed pills to take, which often have a nasty set of side effects. There are many non-pill forms of help, including talk therapy, meditation, massage, aromatherapy, and developing a loving support system. There are many viable options that can be explored with your health professional.

Image result for essential oils diffuser
image link

Although there are oils and oil blends that can target specific types of depression, the following blends are considered “classic blends” to use. With each of these combo blends, dilute them with 1 fluid ounce (30 ml) of sweet almond oil or other carrier oil. Use them as bath or shower oils and in all room and inhalation methods (room diffuser, breathed from a kleenex, etc.)  Note:  if using in a diffuser, don’t use a carrier oil and put only a few drops of the blend in the diffuser at a time.

blend 1

ylang ylang 8 drops
sweet orange 14 drops
cardamom 8 drops

blend 5
neroli 20 drops
petitgrain 10 drops

Most of this information has been taken from:
The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy, by Valerie Worwood

If you try one or more of these blends I’d be very interested in hearing your thoughts about it/them.

Thanks for sharing!

1. Aromatherapy is quite the rage these days and it is very effective. This post is very relevant, especially with all that we are going through now. Thanks a lot for sharing. 🙂

Thank you for your thoughtful comment, Shweta, and you are welcome.

2. Tamara says:

OK, depression is a serious topic, and I don’t want to make fun of it, but I will say this: as long as you have coffee and cinnamon rolls, how can you be depressed? Meaning, certain smells just HAVE to make you happy, no?

My D today is about democracy in Switzerland. Not nearly as fancy as uplifting smells. You’ll get, however, to vote on something:

Woah! I’m guessing you’re trying to be funny, but depression is no joke!

3. Frédérique says:

I agree with Tamara, but I would add chocolate!! ;D
    Blend #4 sounds (or smells?) appealing, I love the 3 ingredients, so can’t be bad 😉
    D is for Denim

You and Tamara are “joking” about depression, but it isn’t funny for those who suffer from it. Glad you find one of the blends appealing. Thanks for reading 🙂

4. We all need something to lift our spirits these days. X

Yes, we do, Bernie. (I saw your name on the A2Z list!) Are you participating this year? I’ve gone to your blog a few times and haven’t seen any posts.

1. Yes, I’m up to c. Struggling today so will catch up later xx

OK will be by later to check them out 🙂

5. jazzfeathers says:

Great post. And so useful.
    I bet we can use these essences even if we are not depressed, but feel a bit down.

@JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter – Living the Twenties

100% agreed, Jazz. One of my friends gave me a blend called, “Liquid Xanax” that I’ve been using the past couple of days. It smells great!

6. I have a friend who found aromatherapy very useful when she was going through a difficult period. I’ve no idea what she used, but I am all for treatments that gives people the help they need.
    Tasha 💖
    Virginia’s Parlour – The Manor (Adult concepts – nothing explicit in posts)
    Tasha’s Thinkings – Vampire Drabbles

Thank you very much for your thoughtful comment.

7. Depressed or not, these potions are bound to lift the spirits. I can’t imagine living without my reed diffusers!

D is for…!

Yes, they do! Reed diffusers are a great way to aromatherapy!

8. Kathe W. says:

fascinating. Never thought of using in a shower. Thanks

Glad you learned something!

I’m glad you make note of the very real fear that you will be dismissed with a pill and not listened to. No one should accept that as the only remedy. (K)

100% agreed, K.

10. soniadogra says:

This is totally new for me. I had just no idea. So useful.

Glad you find it useful, Sonia.

11. Pradeep says:

I never knew that oils could help in the case of depression.
    – bpradeepnair.blogspot.com

12. Essential oils can lift spirits (raise vibration). So yes, they make a good supplementary part of any treatment.

They certainly lift my mood.

13. As an aromatherapist myself, you’ll get no argument from me about the value of using essential oils. I can’t help smiling at the adorable diffuser – who wouldn’t be charmed by a spouting unicorn?

🙂 Glad you agree, Deborah.

14. Chris Hall says:

I always find the smell of geranium oil uplifting. I sometimes dab a little drop on the sleeve of my jersey. I also find it good for confidence – I used it a lot when I was working.

Chris, so far of the oils I’ve used (slowly building the collection) geranium is my favorite. It’s like hearing banjo music. Nobody can be sad while experiencing it 😉

1. Chris Hall says:

My bottle has moved to my desk!

15. I love aromatherapy via a diffuser but have had to curtail it after reading that it can have a toxic effect on dogs. If I use a diffuser now I do it in a closed room. Maybe I should try them another way as you suggest. 🙂

Just a drop or two on a kleenex and breathe in. Blends for skin also work if diluted with carrier oil.

1. I will have to try it on a kleenex because I looked up blends for inspiration when I couldn’t seem to write but haven’t really tried them because of the diffuser situation. It never occurred to me to put it on a kleenex. I have tried smelling it from the bottle. 🙂

16. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says:

With all of your fantastic posts this month, I’ll definitely have to try out aromatherapy 🙂

An A-Z of Faerie: Duergar

They really are miracle substances. Just remember they are extremely powerful and to be used with caution. Like having a magic wand at your disposal 😉