A2Z 2020 — essential oils — I — Immortelle

I letter

The name Helichrysum is derived from the Greek words helios meaning sun and chrysos meaning gold, which refer to its numerous clusters of tiny yellow flowers. These dried flowers were presented as an offering to the Gods in Ancient Greece, used in Medieval Europe as potpourri, and have flavored sauces in various cultures around the Mediterranean. While the origins of the name Immortelle are not well documented, it may refer to the long life of the cut flowers or the powerful anti-aging properties of the essential oil and extracts derived from these sacred yellow blossoms. – from Kate’s Magik

Helichrysum Italicum (Italian Everlasting/Helichrysum)

Parts used: flowering head clusters

Immortelle is listed as a medicinal herb in many Greek, Roman, and Medieval European texts. There are hundreds of helichrysum/immortelle varieties but very few produce essential oil.

Image result for historical use of immortelle in art
image link

Appearance of oil: pale yellow liquid

Therapeutic uses: pain, bruising, wounds, contusions, coughs, bronchial congestion, rhinitis, abdominal cramps, muscle spasms, rheumatism, arthritis, carpal tunnel, tendonitis, edema, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, circulatory conditions, ulceration, acne, pimples, eczema, psoriasis

Precautions: avoid prolonged use; avoid during pregnancy and while nursing; GRAS

Image result for Helichrysum Italicum
image link

RECIPE

Good remedy for part of a bursitis treatment. First use an ice pack on the affected area, then massage with the following blend (mixed with the carrier oil):

Sweet marjoram EO 10 drops
Immortelle EO 10 drops
Lavender EO 10 drops

EO = essential oil

For each teaspoon (5ml) of carrier oil (e.g. sweet almond &/or hemp oil) add 5 drops of the blend

1. soniadogra says:

I’m learning about a new oil every single day. Thank you!

You are very welcome 🙂

2. Frewin55 says:

I love the smell of Helichrysum – like someone is cooking a curry. Does the essential oil smell like that? Or dishes cooked with it? I didn’t know you could cook with it – will have to look into that more…

I haven’t personally smelled it or used it. I do see that there are hundreds of varieties and only a few produce essential oil. I would check the label on any of them. Just like olive oil can be used to cook with, you wouldn’t want to use that kind in therapeutic ways, as the way olives are processed for cooking oils is different. I’m guessing it’s the same with Helichrysum.

3. Arti says:

This is my first visit and I’m hooked.
    I love walking into L’Occitane stores just to stand under bunches of immortelle that usually hang from their ceilings.
    Learnt a lot today.
    Thank you.

So the store uses them for display and aromatherapy. Smart move! Glad you enjoyed the post today, Arti.

New to me. The flower is lovely. (K)

5. Frédérique says:

Pretty flowers, I think they are consumed in infusion but not sure.
    I is for Improv

Now that’s interesting! I will have to do some more research.

6. I’ve not heard of this despite its charming and memorable name.

I is for …

7. Tamara says:

Thank you for posting a picture along with the post – that way ignorant people like me know what you mean by a plant’s name that doesn’t ring a bell 😉

Question: is there a connection from the color of a plant to healing power they provide? You know, like yellow is good for the skin, red for (insert what may apply)?

My I today is about the International Organizations based in Geneva – plus a good sightseeing part.

I learned so much as I went along with creating the posts, including what the plants look like. Tamara, that’s a VERY good question! It would seem reasonable to think that. Unfortunately I do not have enough knowledge about them to answer your question.

1. Tamara says:

The reason I asked is because I was told it was true for veggies and fruit: the red ones have other health benefits than “leafy greens” or white-ish produce.

8. Helichrysum EO has a lovely somewhat complex scent – warm and sweetly herbaceous, a bit earthy, with honey and tea tones.

Wow that sounds so good. I need to get some.

9. I know Immortelle as Helichrysum. It is an expensive essential oil. It is an ingredient in the pain rub I use that also has eucalyptus and a bunch of other essential oils. Helichrysum is fantastic for anything that causes pain.

Good to know, Andrea. Making notes.

10. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says: