#SLS — Here Comes the Big Rush by Echobelly

Jim Adams is the music aficianado host of Song Lyric Sunday.  Jim says:
This week we have Diamond/Emerald/Jade/Pearl/Ruby/Sapphire and I hope that everyone will be able to find a song that uses one of these prompt words.

Here are the “rules”:
• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not. If it does not fit, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
• Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.

image link

On a song search with the glittering prompts I came across this song by this group right away. It isn’t often that I stumble onto new music I like on a first try. The lyrics are sharp and provocative and the guitar is pounding.  Hope you enjoy it on this beautiful Easter Day!

Echobelly are a British rock band, debuting in 1994 with their album Everyone’s Got One. They were often compared to Blondie and were influenced by Morrissey, who himself was a fan of the group.

The most prominent part of Echobelly’s success formula was vocalist Sonya Madan, who was also the group’s primary lyricist. Born in Delhi, India, before moving to England at the age of two, Madan had an unusual background for a pop star. Her rigid upbringing made rock music taboo for her as a youngster and she did not attend her first rock concert until she was in college.

Lustra was Echobelly’s third album, released in November, 1997.”Here Comes The Big Rush” is the second and final single from it, released in October of the same year. It reached #56 in the UK Singles Chart.

Personnel:
Sonya Madan (vocals)
Glenn Johansson (guitar)
Debbie Smith (guitar)
James Harris (bass)
Andy Henderson (drums)
Gil Norton (producer)
Roy Spong and Niven Garland (engineers)
Gil Nortin and Roy Spong (mixer)

Save your point of view
For the manic charm that he puts you through
When he wears your pearls, your ruby dress
And he looks so good with his sunken chest
There’s a certain charm

To the pretty boy that is on my arm
He’s my double friend, a boy and a girl
When he says,
Paint my face, lick your mouth
Fake a yawn and we’ll go out and glow
We’re on our way to somewhere in particular
I’ll take you somewhere, where you haven’t been
And I’ll show you a good time, like you’ve never seen

Here comes the big rush
There’s a special ring
To his Cuban heels and his six-pack swing
His mother’s clothes are his new disguise
And his good advice when he says:
Vanity’s a virtue, lets no one in to hurt you
I’ll take you somewhere, where you haven’t been

You’re one of the boys
Pump that pipe dream, sell you something
Pump that pipe dream, sell you something
New new

Songwriters: Glen Mikael Johansson / Sonya Aurora Madan

1. freefallin14 says:

I always enjoy hearing bands I have never heard before.

Glad you liked them 🙂

2. Never heard of them. Great choice, Li

Glad you like them, Punam

1. I was intrigued to hear the lead vocalist and she did sound good.

3. CARAMEL says:

Wow Li! I am so impressed.
    I was a huge fan of Echobelly – i saw them play live a couple of times.
    Three of their songs stand out in my memory…
    – “King Of The Curb”
    – “Great Things” (loved this one as a teenager!)
    and because it truly appealed to me as a teengaer I loved “Go Away”

I think about six months ago I used one of their songs “Worms and Angels” in an SLS theme – can’t remember what the theme was. I loved Sonya’s voice.
    Echobelly, Sleeper, Lush, Elastica and Garbage all had female vocalists, and females who were playing guitars. I thought they were so cool. It made me want to be part of the music industry. Then I got myself a job at a record company (just doing trivial tasks – cleaning, making tea, opening post, running errands) and got to see loads of live music for free as a result.

After a few months of seeing people around me getting drunk or high, and having a very close shave with a bass player of an American band (who must have thought I was old enough to be in an over 18s club – even though I was 14/15) I decided I didn’t want to work in the music industry after all. I don’t regret that decision, but I do have some fab memories.

Mel, I love hearing about your personal connection with this band! They sound really good to me.

I do see the connection to Blondie. Nice balance of vocal and guitar. (K)

5. Another great find Lisa! W ell done 🙂 New to me but I really liked it. You got a few gems in that one song’s lyrics.

6. I had no idea that I would be listening to this song today, but it is really nice.

Glad you like it, Jim. It sounded good and fresh when I heard it.

7. Lisa Coleman says:

Never heard this before and I like it. Wow, the lyrics – what a special friendship. I wanted to see that ruby dress and pearls! Great choice Li!

So glad you like it, Lisa!

8. J-Dub says:

New to me and I like it!

9. theresaly520 says:

Really enjoying these sharp lyrics and I love the accompanying instruments!

Glad you are enjoying it, Sa!

10. badfinger20 says:

Never heard this one before…good solid rocking music.

11. aisasami says:

It is a really great song. Something from one of the genres that I like to listen to!

So glad you like it, Ai!

12. New-to-me and definitely different! I’m still trying to understand the meaning of the lyrics! 😄😄

They sound anti-establishment for sure…

13. ghostmmnc says: