A2Z 2020 — essential oils — O — orange, sweet

O letter

In folklore, oranges exchanged among the unmarried was a subtle way of saying, “Let love blossom.” In Greek mythology, they had ties to fertility and innocence. In Victorian times, orange blossoms were used for garlands, bouquets, and tiaras for brides as symbols of youth, purity, and eternal love.NUVO Magazine

Image result for citrus sinensis
Citrus Sinensis

Orange, sweet (citrus sinensis)

Plant appearance: tree growing around 25 feet high, with dark green leaves, white flowers, large orange fruit

Parts used: rind of fruit

Oil appearance: yellow to orange (sweet) and yellowish-green to yellow-orange (bitter)

Therapeutic uses: nervous anxiety, constipation, intestinal spasm, fluid retention, detoxifying, cellulite, insomnia, depression, anxiety and stress-related conditions, tension, convalescence

Precautions: none known. GRAS status.

Image result for citrus sinensis essential oil
sweet orange essential oil
RECIPE

Orange Essential Oil Uses
from Rocky Mountain Oils

• A few drops in a bowl of warm/hot water helps moisturize the air in your home.
  • Diffuse 3 drops Orange with 1 drop Cinnamon Bark to give your home a holiday feel.
  • Diffusing it helps clear stagnant thoughts and intentions. Helps you focus better.
  • Great for children’s playrooms.
  • Use on sticky stuff when cleaning. Cuts through grease as well.
  • Fill a spray bottle with 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar and a small squirt of liquid soap. Then add 5 drops of Orange oil. Shake and use to clean surfaces.

I love all things orange.

Orange goes well with a lot of other flavors. I love orange creamsicles. YUM!

2. Oranges way back when would have been expensive so yes, a good thing to give as a gift. My mother said that when she was a child in Poland, well before the EU, you’d get an orange to enjoy only when you were sick.

Good oranges, ones that taste good not just look good, are not easy to find in northern stores. One of my kids orchestra parents group used to have an annual sale where they came directly from FL, and those were really good. I enjoyed hearing your mom’s story about oranges.

3. I love anything orangey…the fruit, marmalade, popsicles, cake…mmmm! I could go on and on. 😊

4. Frédérique says:

Another great and unexpected recipe! In Sweden I think, they pick cloves into oranges, it smells good and it’s a great insect repellent.
    Thank you for being such a loyal visitor!
    O is for Oya

We do that here also with orange and cloves to hang in clothes closet. You are welcome and thank You also for your loyal visiting. I look forward to what colorful designs you will treat with every day 🙂

5. jazzfeathers says:

If it helps to focus, I desperately need it now!

@JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter – Living the Twenties

6. Tarkabarka says:

Orange flowers are so beautiful! 🙂

The Multicolored Diary

Yes they are!

7. Beth Lapin says:

I remember picking fruits in the back yard when I lived in CA. Blemished and a bit tart, but MINE!

I would LOVE to be able to walk outside and pick an orange off a tree!

8. Nothing rhymes with orange.

I wonder who came up with an unrhymable word for a fruit that inspires poetry? Sorry I missed your letter “N” yesterday but I’ll catch up.

1. Nothing rhymes with purple either.

Color namers must be rebels at heart.

9. Love the scent of an orange right after being picked from a tree.
    Can you guess I love in Florida? 😊

Oh my you are blessed if you can pick oranges from a tree ❤

1. Yes, I am. They have the best flavors. : )

10. I love lingering over peeling oranges just to press the oil out of the rind. Such a delightful scent.

Yes, fresh essential oil! I do that with grapefruit also.

11. Arti says:

Looking at that beautiful picture of orange blossom makes me want to smell its scent. Love oranges and orange blossoms.

I’m with you, that scent is so refreshing.

12. badfinger20 says:

fluid retention…I didn’t know that. It is my favorite fruit.

I don’t care for the oranges we can get here, they are all looks and low on juice and flavor. Grapefruits are much better. Glad to have featured your favorite fruit today, Max 🙂

13. I’ve made a note of each and every one of those uses!

Watch out, Rosey’s about!

Awesome, Keith. And every letter for this month is in the A2Z 2020 category on my main page for future reference.

14. I love oranges! Thanks a lot for those helpful recipes. I have never used it to cut through grease. I’ll start now. The lockdown is the best time for cleaning!

So glad you find the recipes useful. What amazes me is natural substances can do the same job as those marketed products that have terrible chemical additives in them. You’re right about the cleaning, have been doing a lot of cleaning in lockdown.

15. Lael-Heart says:

Orange anything always smells so clean and fresh.

16. Tamara says:

Orange is such a bright, positive flavor and smell. It reminds me of my very first time visiting Israel, my Mom’s home country. We arrived when it was already dark, and we landed somewhere outside the gates, meaning we had to walk to the bus. The smell at Tel Aviv airport was a blend from kerosene and orange blossoms. Unforgettable!

Happy Friday!

My O is for opening hours and customer service in Switzerland:

Thank you so much for sharing that memory, Tamara. I like your description of the smell of oranges. Happy Friday!

17. Kathe W. says:

Smart and smells great while cleaning! Thanks for the recipe! See you tomorrow!

Yes! Ok 🙂

18. I use orange essential oil the most. I simply put it into a battery-operated diffuser to freshen the air. But, did you know that citrus oils are top notes and don’t last long? Every oil has either a top, medium or base note.
    I had not thought to mix it with cinnamon, that sounds great!

No, I didn’t know about top notes and that they didn’t last long. Where does geranium fit in there? Is cinnamon longer lasting?

19. soniadogra says:

Orange is my favourite fruit. I love the colour as well. You gave me another use for it today!

20. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says:

I love the smell of orange blossoms 🙂

An A-Z of Faerie: Occult

21. S. M. Saves says:

Now I really want an orange. 😫 But there’s a cat in my lap and le oranges are all the way downstairs.
    One of my coworkers saves his orange peels and feeds them to the garbage disposal to keep it from smelling foul.

That’s a great idea!

22. I have not used orange oil but over Christmas I discovered the joy of putting a slice of orange in my water. It really spruces and refreshes the palate. Ever since, we have it a glass usually every night with dinner. 🙂 Thanks for stopping in to check out my ‘O’ Pinup Girl Sketch. 😉

It does sound refreshing with orange on it!