#SLS — “Stop Stop Stop,” by The Hollies

on

Jim Adams is the directing host of Song Lyric Sunday.  Jim says:
This week we have the termination prompts of End/Finish/Over/Stop…

Here are the “rules”:
• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not. If it does not fit, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
• Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.

Trade ad for The Hollies’s single “I’m Alive” (from left to right: Eric Haydock, Allan Clarke, Graham Nash, Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliott). — Billboard, page 19, 10 July 1965

Per wikipedia:
Stop Stop Stop” is a song by British pop group The Hollies that was written by group members (Harold) Allan Clarke, (Anthony Christopher) “Tony” Hicks, and Graham William Nash, and was a rewrite of an earlier song by the group. It was first released as a single and later appeared on the album For Certain Because in the United Kingdom.

The song was released as a single by the Parlophone label in October 1966 and was released around the same time in the United States by Imperial Records. It was the last single that The Hollies released that year and became a worldwide hit reaching the top 10 of the singles charts in 8 countries, including at #1 in Canada. There is also an Italian version, made by Rita Pavone. The song was covered by Minneapolis Celtic-punk group Boiled in Lead on their 1989 album From the Ladle to the Grave, also interpolating a traditional Egyptian melody into the song.

“Stop Stop Stop” is notable for being one of the few recordings by the group that feature Tony Hicks playing the banjo and was the only song with that instrument to be performed live by the group. The banjo was played through tape delay so that it sounds like a balalaika, while the tempo was similarly influenced by Middle Eastern and Greek music, which, combined with Bobby Elliott’s vehement cymbal crashes, results in what critic Richie Unterberger describes as, “one of the most offbeat rock songs of 1966.” The song – like most others by the group – feature a three-part vocal harmony between Clarke, Hicks, and Nash. The song was recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London, England and was produced by Ron Richards.

Graham Nash has said in various interviews that this song was inspired by the time American record executive and impressario Morris Levy took him and the rest of the band to a strip club. They had not been to one before since they did not have any in their hometown of Manchester, England.

See the girl with cymbals on her fingers
Entering through the door
Ruby glistening from her navel
Shimmering around the floor

Bells on feet go, ting a ling a ling-ing
Going through my head
Sweat is falling just-a-like-a tear drops
Running from her head

Now she dancing, going through the movements
Swaying to and fro
Body moving, bringing back a memory
Thoughts of long ago

Blood is rushing, temperature is rising
Sweating from my brow
Like a snake, her body fascinates me
I can’t look away now

Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
Give me time to breathe
Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
Or I’ll have to leave

Now, she’s moving all around the tables
Luring all in sight
But I know that she cannot see me
Hidden by the light

Closer, closer, she is getting nearer
Soon she’ll be in reach
As I enter into a spotlight
She stands lost for speech

Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
Give me time to breathe
Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
Or I’ll have to leave

Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
Give me time to breathe
Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
Or I’ll have to leave

Now I hold her, people are staring
Don’t know what to think
And we struggle knocking over tables
Spilling all the drinks

Can’t they understand that I want her?
Happens every week
Heavy hand upon my collar
Throws me in the street

Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
Give me time to breathe
Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
Or I’ll have to leave, leave
Songwriters: Allan Clarke / Graham Nash / Tony Hicks

1. I think I remember you saying that you wanted to learn more about the Hollies recently. This is a new one to me, thanks for sharing it.

You have a good memory, Jim, yes I did. Glad I introduced you to the song.

2. Jen Goldie says:

I remember this. Great choice!

It’s a good’n isn’t it 🙂

1. Jen Goldie says:

YUP! 😊👍

3. Good find Lisa. I was going to choose Bus Stop by the Hollies. Look how young Graham Nash is on that album cover. He looks like he’s 14! 🙂

He probably was!

This is my second comment…mine are vanishing tonight. Great choice Lisa…Their harmonies are complex and unique to them. You can tell the Everly Brothers were a huge influence.

Thank you for giving me the heads-up. There were 39 comments in spam folder and 1/3 were not spam, including this one. Yes, I hear EB in there!

5. hanspostcard says:

Great selection- The Hollies seem to be forgotten- but what an outstanding pop band.

Glad you like it. Amazing the sound that came out of the banjo. Yes they are/were!

6. Carol anne says:

a great song here! an oldie but a goodie!

Glad you like it, Carol Anne!

7. I don’t remember this one, but “offbeat” describes it quite well! 😀

I love how you always give dimension to these songs I’ve heard so many times. Another great selection. (K)

Thank you, Kerfe.

9. Great minds in unison Jade! Love this song.

10. J-Dub says:

What a nice pick me up this morning. Thanks for sharing 😎🎶

Glad you like it, J!

11. John Holton says:

This was my bonus track for today, so you know I think it’s a good pick…

🙂 Cool. I see Peter chose it also.

12. ghostmmnc says:

It’s been forever since I heard this one. Great song for the prompt! 🙂

🙂 Glad you like it.

13. freefallin14 says:

They must have had an influence on The Monkees. Great choice.

Now that you mention it, there is a Monkees like sound to it — or vice versa as the case is.

14. aisasami says:

I love The Hollies! Wonderful choice!

Thanks, Ai!