dVerse — villanelle — Green Disease

on
The Walking Man’s wallpaper of Pearl Jam’s, “Green Disease” logo

We should control our avarice
It matters not if kith nor kin
It makes our souls cadaverous

Our urge to win is sick, scabrous,
Where matricide isn’t a sin
We can’t control our avarice

Our Mother’s become cancerous
We can’t tell her bone from her skin
It makes our souls cadaverous

Our eyes gulp down what’s glamorous
Bite down on rancid lure of spin
We won’t control our avarice

Trumpet blares makes shit look lustrous
Extrusion-cased, a plastic bin
It makes our souls cadaverous

We need to grow a gravitas
What’s left of poisoned air grows thin
We must control our avarice

Message clear, writ on papyrus
Avoid the morbid mortis grin
We will control our avarice
Or face our end, calamitous

Today’s offering is a villanelle form poem. The two words that popped into my head earlier were avarice and cadaverous, so that was my starting point.

Frank Hubeny is today’s host of dVerse.  Frank says:
Today the challenge is to write three-line poems or poems having mainly three-line stanzas.  In other words the focus is on tercets or as I titled this prompt, “triplets”.

Cadaverous…that’s a great word to enlarge upon, and it really vividly makes its point. (K)

Thank you very much, Kerfe.

Very strong message here Li

Thank you, Sadje.

3. calmkate says:

a wondrous weaving of words, avarice and cadaverous …
    I had just commented elsewhere that I hope this isolation might have curbed some people’s materialism as nature restored herself!

Thank you, Kate.

4. Really fine, though blunt

Thank you, Larry. There comes a point where it’s too late for subtleties.

1. Yes I’ve been noticing that so very often~

5. poetrybydebi says:

“We will control our avarice” I’m not really expecting that. What in the world are all the people gonna do with random armfuls of assorted sized clothing and twelve TVs… There is no end to the avarice so I can see that end calamitous

I fear you’re right.

6. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the villanelle form with so many repeating lines pressing the point. I especially liked “Bite down on rancid lure of spin”. There is a lot of spin today. We have to control the avarice.

Thank you, Frank. I like the villanelle also.

7. Truedessa says:

Interesting thoughts in your villanelle. I thought of writing one but, I decided it was too much for me tonight. The form works well to reinforce the message.

Thank you for reading and your thoughtful comments, Truedessa

8. kim881 says:

Great use of the villanelle form, Lisa. I love the alternation of rhymes and the way you riffed on the word ‘cadaverous’. The lines that stand out, especially for the play on ‘Trump’, are
    ‘Trumpet blares makes shit look lustrous
    Extrusion-cased, a plastic bin’.
    Thanks for the blast of Pearl Jam!

Thank you very much, Kim. My pleasure 🙂

9. hank77 says:

kaykuala

Beautiful villanelle Jade, not easy to create!

Hank

I didn’t get the meter right, but I was fixed in using those two words. Thank you very much, Hank.

10. rivrvlogr says:

This is a good summary of our current state of affairs.

Thank you, Ken. We’re at a tipping point.

11. Ab-so-lu-te-ly A-ma-zing! I loved the repetition, the message, the oh so rhytmic rhyming of such tasty, pleasantly macabre wording! Thank you!

🙂 Happy to hear you enjoyed it. We still have a smidge of a chance, but not much of one. I hope we choose wisely.

1. Actions are needed, we in other countries should get our support protests going on, UN should say something but no, this one is in our hands. As people we will have to make it end, take back the control and liberty, hell dignity is even taken away! Votes wont in my opinion decide how this goes, the people will. Right now, Bullied like they do in third world dictatorships.. No, or where is the Congress? The Senate?