#FF — In the year 2120

PHOTO PROMPT © Ronda Del Boccio

Forget about Tesla and NASA — Amazon created the future with its innovations.

What started out as home delivery of everything from artichokes to zithers through the public postal service morphed into a fleet-of-vans lifeline during the beginning of Covid Times a hundred years ago.

These days vans are driven by AI androids called Amabots.

Ever-morphing killer viruses descended from C-19 hunt us.

Most humans live in sanitized boxed dwellings in front of screens while Amabots keep things running. Amabots love walks on the beach and amusement parks on holiday. The air rides are their favorites.

Bezos Clan are Gods.

[102 words]

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields is the host of Friday Fictioneers.

1. neilmacdon says:

Terrifying little whimsy

Thank you, Neil.

2. Do the Amabots have dating profiles?

lol probably. they need compatible chemical compositions you know

3. When you said that they love walks on the beach and amusement parks, it made me think of that.

4. Iain Kelly says:

I can’t help thinking that the complaints about working conditions and Amazon’s need to keep up with demand will ensure they will develop robotic workers in warehouses and delivery drivers. I imagine they are investing a lot to develop this as we write. Good take.

Thanks, Iain, I think so also.

Good take on the image.

🙂 Thank you!

My pleasure 😇

6. Visionary post, JadeLi.

Len, thank you. I hope it doesn’t come to pass.

7. Dear Lisa,

Your title sent me her to Zager and Evans’ one hit wonder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yesyhQkYrQM I’m not so sure your story isn’t prophetic. Scary times.

Shalom,

Rochelle

Rochelle,
      Good, it was a spin of the title by intent. I pray some good thing intervenes to neutralize such a future for us.
      Shalom,
      Lisa

1. Amen to that Lisa.

8. I’d like to call this dystopia, but it could well turn out not to be fiction. Nice one.

Thanks Anthony, I hope we’re wrong.

9. Do Amabots have relationships through date-a-bots? Do they delivery babies on a Stork-a-zon? 😉

lmao-azon 🙂

10. Nobbinmaug says:

You saw robots, too. I thought I would be the only one that weird.

I can see some twisted version of the future where Amazon takes over and Bezos is worshipped as a deity. This reminds me of a joke from one of my stories, “Yes, Amazon.com, a website, was elected president of the United States and eventually the world. That’s just humans being humans. The sad part is, it was a lot better than many rulers throughout the planet’s history. It actually delivered on its promises, usually in just two days.” (https://nobbinblog.wordpress.com/2018/10/23/l-squad-vignettes-episode-four-camp-l-squad/)

I think there are a few of us weirdos this week.

Oh how that amuses me. It’s how amazon has gotten to where it is today. It has follow-through. There were a few blips on the screen for these recent unprecedented times, but in its history the only one I know of.

11. Where possible I try to avoid Amazon, however convenient they are, fortunately I collect records and buying straight from the label is a nice thing to do, Bozos is the devil, and theres not much more I can say about that. Good stuff as always!!

Shrawl, I think there are a couple of devils out there vying for top pitchfork these days. I usually buy my music from the label or the musician, but I have been getting some e-books from amazon, which I know is not good. Thanks!

1. Ive got a kindle, what can you do!??

This sounds about right unfortunately…and lucky us are in the beginning of the nightmare.

I told Bailey he may tell his kids…at one time…we could go out without masks!

Oh I hope not…(k)

14. Wow, such a cool sci-fi story, loved it.

15. plaridel says:

i haven’t thought it would go to that extreme. but who can really tell what the future holds? 🙂

Well-said, Plaridel. Thanks for reading.

16. I received 4 large chairs from Amazon yesterday. I live 4 floors up and judging by the sweating red-faced driver, I’m sure he’d rather they were delivered robotically!

I hope he carried them up for you then. Congrats on new furniture.

17. Oh dear! What a bleak future! But terrifyingly it could come true 😦

18. Dale says:

If we’re not careful…

19. draliman says:

Hopefully this will not come to pass, though I’d quite like to meet an Amabot 🙂

Oh I’m sure you will someday 🙂

20. granonine says:

Yikes. That’s just scary!

21. doodletllc says:

This is terrifying…and could very well be our future reality…so far, for me, every crazy new tactic to fight the virus has been frightening but then with lightening speed, becomes the ho hum norm…Hmmm. Not good.

22. Hoping it does not come to that!
    Ronda

Thanks for reading and commenting, Ronda. Me neither!

23. James McEwan says:

A fully automated future, indeed. What will we do with ourselves after those endless walks along the beach.

Polish the stainless steel and get the sand out of the gears, I suppose.

24. Almost sounds like some of the conspiracy theories out there.

Like Pink Floyd sings, “There’s a lot of it about.”

25. magarisa says:

I didn’t know the word “zithers” until I read your story and looked it up. 🙂

26. Laurie Bell says:

Oh freaking heck I believe this could happen!