Ai Weiwei — prison is a state of mind

Ai Weiwei (b. 1957), "With Wind", 2014, bamboo and silk, around   240 x 5000 cm. New Industries Building in Alcatraz, California.
Ai Weiwei (b. 1957), “With Wind”, 2014, bamboo and silk, around  240 x 5000 cm. New Industries Building in Alcatraz, California.© Studio Ai Weiwei

I was just looking at a google feature I didn’t know existed until now, Google Art and Culture. When I saw Ai Weiwei’s name I immediately had to check it out. The photo was taken at Alcatraz, the island prison off of the coast of CA. If you click on the title, it will take you to an excellent article about Weiwei’s art. If you want to see a slide show of the exhibit, click here.

The misconception of totalitarianism is
that freedom can be imprisoned.
This is not the case.
When you constrain freedom,
freedom will take flight
and land on a windowsill.
— Ai Weiwei

1. Suzanne says:

What a wonhderful quote and so fitting for these troubled times.

Thanks Suzanne.

That is a very cool detailed article…I didn’t know that much about the place.

Yes it is. I read it earlier today and was amazed. I like the way it felt like you were taking the tour with the slideshow. Ai Weiwei is a powerful political artist. He really gets people to thinking and feeling.

A perfect place to do what he is doing also. What a place that was…forget about escaping.

I would really like to go there someday. It wasn’t that far from the mainland either! There is a guy who swam across all of the Great Lakes, one at a time. I think Lake MI is 7 miles from WI.

There were 3 who tried and they were never found. It’s specualtion if they really did get away or drowned.
            Whew that is a long way to swim. I can’t imagine it.

3. Sheree says:

I’ll have to check that feature out, thank you

Sheree, the slide show walks you through the exhibit if you want to see it. At the end is the documentary.

4. We only need to see people’s different reactions to lockdown to see this in action.

Good point, MBUK. A lockdown that will keep recycling until people decide they’ve had enough and follow proper safety protocol.

1. I have hardly been out since March and haven’t felt imprisoned for a moment.

I’m not suffering as much as social butterflies are, but I’m not immune from feeling restrained, mostly when it comes to seeing my kids. Those who ignore the restrictions are threatening their own and others’ lives 😦

He’s an interesting man. It’s always good to stir things up and make people think. And he’s pretty fearless, which I admire. (K)

YES on all. Seeing his work up close was one of the highlights of my life.

6. +1 many thanks for the link – wonderful dragon kite – brilliant in such a place.

You’re welcome. It’s a great exhibit, very strategically located.