#Haikai Challenge #172 (1/3/21): first sun (hatsuhi) — winter vacuum, a tanka

HubbleSite: Image - Simulation of Black Hole Flare

Winter Vacuum, a Tanka

Finding this morning
a hole where first sun should be,
vacuum sucking light;
stranded gold, streaming from earth,
as my slack face funnels tears.

Image is from the HubbleSite.

Frank J. Tassone is the host of Haikai Challenge.  Frank says:
A double-header! Two distinct challenges in one week! The first, a traditional New Year kigo, celebrating the arrival of the New Year’s first daylight. The second, a testament to the life-blood of any free people: a system in which the people decide who shall lead them.

This week, let us honor the traditional and unconventional. Write the haikai poem of your choice (haiku, senyru, haibun, tanka, haiga, renga, etc.) that alludes to either first sun (hatsuhi) or Democracy!

1. Carol anne says:

Beautiful! I love it! ❤

Thank you, Carol anne.

Looking for the light and finding darkness…that about sums it up. (K)

😦 Oh how I wish it wasn’t so.

3. Jules says:

I know I’ve been stuck in a flash fiction series. Almost done. New Year so I’m sprinkling in some poetry as I did for this prompt 🙂

Lovely image. I am sure we are all waiting to shed tears of relief.
    Though our hearts are saddened by the unnecessary losses…

Yes we are, Jules. I haven’t been writing (or reading) as much lately.

1. Jules says:

Understandable….
        Be well and stay safe!

4. Reblogged this on Frank J. Tassone and commented:
    #Haiku Happenings #1 (1/12/20): Jade Li’s latest #tanka for my current #Haikai Challenge!

5. The great expectation turning to tragedy.