Music that Strikes a Chord — Them Crooked Vultures

I have to thank Steve for the Deaf for making me aware of this group.  Dave Grohl on drums (from Foo Fighters and Nirvana) John Paul Jones — yes, that one! — on bass,  Josh Homme on guitar and vocals (from Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss) and Alain Johannes on live performances.  These guys only made one album in 2009 but oh please oh please oh please make more.  I have steadily listened to this album and never failed to be total blown away about how good it is.  I’m not exaggerating one bit.  It is some of the best music I have EVER HEARD!

The video is a full 90-minute concert which covers the album they made as far as I can see.

1. Very intriguing music that strikes a chord, Lisa – and I quite heavy I should add – guess I hadn’t fully realized you’re a rock chick! 🙂

I’m definitely going to take a closer look at Them Crooked Vultures – what a name! BTW, do you realize that gig was captured by German TV music program Rockpalast (translation: rock palace).

This show has been on since 1974. Between 1977 and 1987, they used to conduct marathon concerts called “Rocknacht” (rock night) that were broadcast across many European countries. I lost a bunch of nights over these, sitting in front of the TV

Rockpalast had some great bands on Rocknacht, including Rory Gallagher, The Who, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – and not to forget my favorite German rock band BAP.

I did a previous post on Rockpalast. Can you feel I’m getting excited? 🙂

Glad you enjoyed the music. It was the whole album, not in order, with one song not on the album. Oh I love me some hard rock. Led Zep and Soundgarden are two of my favorites.

I saw it said Rockpalast, but I had no idea what or where it was. I know the crowd was loving the music 🙂 The recording and the sound was excellent! Sounds like they have quite an archive of great performances.

1. Yep, they have a dedicated YouTube channel, which I haven’t explored myself. Though I’ve seen other clips of Rocknacht footage elsewhere. There’s definitely some great stuff out there!

Nice clean sound…I appreciate that. Will have to investigate further. (K)

Good I hope you do 🙂

I like Dave Grohl and of course John Paul Jones. I can hear Jones on this loud and clear which is a great thing. I listened to them a while back and liked what I heard.

They struggled a little doing Reptiles live but on the album it clicks into place like a machine. This album seriously can rival any of Led Zeppelin’s and you know I don’t say that lightly.

JPJ and Dave Grohl seem to be great people…with Grohl’s drumming he could make the band Bread sound heavy metal lol. I’ve liked what I’ve heard from them…. I saw one clip around that time of Jimmy Page and JPJ joining the Foo Fighters on stage.

LOL on Grohl’s drumming. He’s a maniac! How does he find the energy? I really think there is a way to tap into unlimited qi while making music if you’re tuned into it. He is! Would like to see that clip with JP and JPJ w FF.

Here you go…

O.M.G. That is off the hook!!!!!!! Dude can sing! That right there is a supergroup! Thanks for finding and sharing it!

Oh yes… I like them because Grohl and their drummer Taylor Hawkins I believe are really cool…and both of them are throwbacks to earlier rock.

p.s. Where were you yesterday? Didn’t see you?

I got my wish! We got snow but we also got a half inch of ice below the snow…Nashville is shutdown and so is my small town….Our electric went out yesterday afternoon and night…so it sucked for a while…we got it back on this morning and it was cold!

Oh wow! Mother Nature gave you a day off. It doesn’t get much better than that. The heat part is not good though! Glad you got your power back on. Ice can be horrible for power lines and pull trees down on them. We’ve had a crew on our road literally for months now, trimming trees back from the power lines.

I think Mother Nature gave me all week at home working…which I’ll take. There is no way I’ll move from here until Thursday or Friday…if then. I live in Mayberry basically…It’s a non town called Chapmansboro TN…look it up….we are a tiny spot.

I just looked on a google map. You’ve got water all through there!

We are really near a Dam and the Cumberland River…not to mention all of the creeks.

p.s. Can you believe how young JPJ looks? I wonder does he have a portrait of himself back at home…. 🙂

He does look younger than his former bandmates…he did live much cleaner than they did.

He was playing what looked like a 12 string bass in part of this? Not sure but it wasn’t the usual bass. He played one flat also. He also played a piano piece in this. What an amazing musician!

He was the best musician in Led Zeppelin by far. He was their secret weapon. They have 12 string basses…I’ve played an 8 string bass before.

I’m surprised to hear you say that, Max. Bonham and Page weren’t no slouches! Kinda like The Band where Garth was the secret weapon? 🙂

Yes because his musical skill was more than one instrumental…plus JPJ was an expert arranger…that is what he done before Zeppelin.

Cool, didn’t know that.

4. selizabryangmailcom says:

Another group I’ve never heard of! But that’s not really surprising, not being a *music* person, per se. You sound like you were absolutely transported! I’ll have to save this post to play that clip when I get the time.
    So behind on it all. I started listening to Led Z. in the mid-’80s! And that was only because a friend of mine gave me a tape. Really love their bluesy stuff…..

That clip is the whole concert, which I learned from Christian was taped in Germany with high video and sound quality. I’ve been listening to the album for months now and really have gotten to love it. When deciding to post on it I found that video and it did transport me to see them while listening 🙂 Led Z is great and the bass player adds so much to this group also!