Music that Strikes a Chord — Them Crooked Vultures

I have to thank Steve for the Deaf for making me aware of this group.  Dave Grohl on drums (from Foo Fighters and Nirvana) John Paul Jones — yes, that one! — on bass,  Josh Homme on guitar and vocals (from Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss) and Alain Johannes on live performances.  These guys only made one album in 2009 but oh please oh please oh please make more.  I have steadily listened to this album and never failed to be total blown away about how good it is.  I’m not exaggerating one bit.  It is some of the best music I have EVER HEARD!

The video is a full 90-minute concert which covers the album they made as far as I can see.

1. Very intriguing music that strikes a chord, Lisa – and I quite heavy I should add – guess I hadn’t fully realized you’re a rock chick! 🙂

I’m definitely going to take a closer look at Them Crooked Vultures – what a name! BTW, do you realize that gig was captured by German TV music program Rockpalast (translation: rock palace).

This show has been on since 1974. Between 1977 and 1987, they used to conduct marathon concerts called “Rocknacht” (rock night) that were broadcast across many European countries. I lost a bunch of nights over these, sitting in front of the TV

Rockpalast had some great bands on Rocknacht, including Rory Gallagher, The Who, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – and not to forget my favorite German rock band BAP.

I did a previous post on Rockpalast. Can you feel I’m getting excited? 🙂

Glad you enjoyed the music. It was the whole album, not in order, with one song not on the album. Oh I love me some hard rock. Led Zep and Soundgarden are two of my favorites.

I saw it said Rockpalast, but I had no idea what or where it was. I know the crowd was loving the music 🙂 The recording and the sound was excellent! Sounds like they have quite an archive of great performances.

1. Yep, they have a dedicated YouTube channel, which I haven’t explored myself. Though I’ve seen other clips of Rocknacht footage elsewhere. There’s definitely some great stuff out there!

Nice clean sound…I appreciate that. Will have to investigate further. (K)

Good I hope you do 🙂

I like Dave Grohl and of course John Paul Jones. I can hear Jones on this loud and clear which is a great thing. I listened to them a while back and liked what I heard.

They struggled a little doing Reptiles live but on the album it clicks into place like a machine. This album seriously can rival any of Led Zeppelin’s and you know I don’t say that lightly.

JPJ and Dave Grohl seem to be great people…with Grohl’s drumming he could make the band Bread sound heavy metal lol. I’ve liked what I’ve heard from them…. I saw one clip around that time of Jimmy Page and JPJ joining the Foo Fighters on stage.

LOL on Grohl’s drumming. He’s a maniac! How does he find the energy? I really think there is a way to tap into unlimited qi while making music if you’re tuned into it. He is! Would like to see that clip with JP and JPJ w FF.

Here you go…

O.M.G. That is off the hook!!!!!!! Dude can sing! That right there is a supergroup! Thanks for finding and sharing it!

Oh yes… I like them because Grohl and their drummer Taylor Hawkins I believe are really cool…and both of them are throwbacks to earlier rock.

p.s. Where were you yesterday? Didn’t see you?

I got my wish! We got snow but we also got a half inch of ice below the snow…Nashville is shutdown and so is my small town….Our electric went out yesterday afternoon and night…so it sucked for a while…we got it back on this morning and it was cold!

Oh wow! Mother Nature gave you a day off. It doesn’t get much better than that. The heat part is not good though! Glad you got your power back on. Ice can be horrible for power lines and pull trees down on them. We’ve had a crew on our road literally for months now, trimming trees back from the power lines.

I think Mother Nature gave me all week at home working…which I’ll take. There is no way I’ll move from here until Thursday or Friday…if then. I live in Mayberry basically…It’s a non town called Chapmansboro TN…look it up….we are a tiny spot.

I just looked on a google map. You’ve got water all through there!

We are really near a Dam and the Cumberland River…not to mention all of the creeks.

p.s. Can you believe how young JPJ looks? I wonder does he have a portrait of himself back at home…. 🙂

He does look younger than his former bandmates…he did live much cleaner than they did.

He was playing what looked like a 12 string bass in part of this? Not sure but it wasn’t the usual bass. He played one flat also. He also played a piano piece in this. What an amazing musician!

He was the best musician in Led Zeppelin by far. He was their secret weapon. They have 12 string basses…I’ve played an 8 string bass before.

I’m surprised to hear you say that, Max. Bonham and Page weren’t no slouches! Kinda like The Band where Garth was the secret weapon? 🙂

Yes because his musical skill was more than one instrumental…plus JPJ was an expert arranger…that is what he done before Zeppelin.

Cool, didn’t know that.

4. selizabryangmailcom says:

Another group I’ve never heard of! But that’s not really surprising, not being a *music* person, per se. You sound like you were absolutely transported! I’ll have to save this post to play that clip when I get the time.
    So behind on it all. I started listening to Led Z. in the mid-’80s! And that was only because a friend of mine gave me a tape. Really love their bluesy stuff…..

That clip is the whole concert, which I learned from Christian was taped in Germany with high video and sound quality. I’ve been listening to the album for months now and really have gotten to love it. When deciding to post on it I found that video and it did transport me to see them while listening 🙂 Led Z is great and the bass player adds so much to this group also!

5. selizabryangmailcom says:

I finally got to listen to many of the songs on the Crooked Vultures full show. I love the eclectic sound, if I’m not incorrect, in that they go from bluesy to funky to pure rock. I would totally listen to an album of theirs while I drove to my dad’s place 25 miles away!
    Also heard a little of the clip badfinger provided of Foo Fighters.
    1.I cannot BELIEVE how many people are in that audience.
    2.Lead singer’s got a great voice!
    3. The drummer IS a maniac, lol !!!

Delighted by everything you say here, Stacey. I just picked up a Foo Fighters from the library and have only listened to it once so far, but now I see what I’ve been missing with them! I chair dance every time I listen to The Crooked Vultures album and get amazed over and over at how danged good it is. Speaking of good music, I re-watched, “It Might Get Loud” last night. Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White, all jamming together. It doesn’t get much better than that.

6. selizabryangmailcom says:

Arrrghhh! Whenever I’m feeling like I’m starting to catch up a little bit with the music stuff, I get slapped back down, lol !! I don’t even know who Jack White is! But thank God I’ve heard of the other two. It Might Get Loud sounds like a musical documentary……..? Or is it just a concert?

Jack White started out with The White Stripes, which was just him on guitar and his sister-wife (he introduced her as his sister but it was his wife) on drums but has moved on since then. Grew up in Detroit. It Might Get Loud is a doc but not a concert, more a montage of the 3 guys and their love for and style of playing the guitar. There are a few sections where the three sit down and play songs together.

7. selizabryangmailcom says:

Oh, gotcha. Introduced his wife as his sister, huh? Kinda weird, lol !! But yeah, a montage of those guys…I can imagine. I’ve always had a special place in my heart for drummers, too. Always secretly wanted to be one…

Jack’s a little “out there” but he’s a damfine guitarist. I hear you about the drummer. Ginger Baker, yes! Dave Grohl got it as well. Why secretly? It’s never too late! There are not enough female drummers in the world!

8. selizabryangmailcom says:

Totally fine with “out there”, especially considering that I’m probably one of them, haha.
    And thanks. I know! It’s not over till the fat lady sings, right? Who knows……hehehe………

9. Totally agree! So lucky to see them live at the Hove festival in Norway in 2010, what an epic concert🤘

I’m hooked on that album. Can’t even begin to imagine how good they were live!

1. Totally! One of the most epic «one album» bands ever! Up there with Mad Season, Temple of the Dog and the Sex Pistols.

Not sure I’ve heard the Mad Season one. Is that with members of Alice in Chains and PJ? I have Temple of the Dog and love it especially now that Chris has passed on. The Sex Pistols no, but I can imagine if they only produced one it’s a good one.

1. Mad Season is fantastic! Members of Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees made 1 album that is legendary. Surprisingly for their infamy, Sex Pistols only made 1 album. Check out Mad Season👍

Willdo. Thanks for the recommend!