Women Music March 2021 — Day 1 — Rosanne Cash

File:Rosanne Cash, 2012 (cropped).jpg
Rosanne Cash

Last year I decided to cover one female musical artist every day in the month of March. I decided to do it again this year. If you want to take a look at the artists I covered last year, go to the bottom of my blog’s main page and find the tag, Women Music March. These will also be tagged with it. The artists are in no particular order. Many I don’t know much, if anything about right now, but it is hoped that I learn a lot while doing the posts. I don’t want to make each entry exhaustive as there is no time, but I will read through information and highlight one thing to share.

I’ve already got my list of 31 set up, but if you want me to cover a particular female musical artist next year, please put your requests in the comments section. If you happen to choose an artist already on my list, you’ll be lucky and see them this year.

First on my list is none other than Rosanne Cash.  Born on May 24, 1955, Rosanne is an American singer-songwriter and author. She is the eldest daughter of country musician Johnny Cash and Vivian Liberto Cash Distin, Johnny Cash’s first wife. Although she is often classified as a country artist, her music draws on many genres, including folk, pop, rock, blues, and most notably Americana. In the 1980s, she had a string of genre-crossing singles that entered both the country and pop charts, the most commercially successful being her 1981 breakthrough hit “Seven Year Ache“, which topped the U.S. country singles chart and reached the Top 30 on the U.S. pop chart.

Discography: 14 albums from 1978 – 2018

One thing to share: Rosanne Cash signed with Blue Note Records in 2013 to release a new original album. The River & the Thread was released on January 14, 2014. It was Cash’s first album in more than four years. The River & the Thread is a collection of songs written with husband and collaborator John Leventhal, inspired by trips through the American South. Cash describes The River & The Thread as “a mini-travelogue of the South, and of the soul.” The Journey included visits to father Johnny Cash’s childhood home in Dyess, Arkansas; her own early childhood home in Memphis, TN; William Faulkner’s house; Dockery Plantation in Cleveland, MS, the plantation where Howlin’ Wolf and Charley Patton worked and sang; Natchez, MS; the blues trail; the Tallahatchie Bridge; as well as a visit with Natalie Chanin, a master seamstress in Florence, Alabama. Throughout 2014, Cash toured extensively with partner John Leventhal, performing The River & The Thread in sequence with first-person stories woven through historical time to much critical acclaim. The River & The Thread was the Number One album of 2014 on Americana radio, and was honored by USA Today, The New York Times, The Village Voice, Rolling Stone, The Huffington Post, NPR Fresh Air, Uncut (magazine), No Depression, The Sun (UK), and American Songwriter as one of the top albums of 2014. On February 8, 2015, Cash won three Grammy awards for Best Americana Album for The River & The Thread, and Best American Roots Song with John Leventhal and Best American Roots Performance for “A Feather’s Not A Bird”.

Source:  wikipedia

I always liked Rosanne… the song that always comes to mind besides Seven Year Ache is Tennessee Flat Top Box…love that song.

you mean this one:

YES! I don’t know why…it just sticks with me.

2. hanspostcard says:

great selection! I’ve always liked her music- I can’t think of a son/daughter of a big star who has done better than her. Hank Jr has been very successful but I will take Roseanne.

3. I worked at a little station that played old and new country back in ’91. I loved playing her stuff.

4. I listened to part of “The River & The Thread” just the other day after hotfox63 had posted about the album. I immediately liked it but haven’t heard any more music by Rosanne Cash yet. She’s definitely an artist I’d like to further explore one of these days.

I found it mentioned at wiki when putting the post together and it sounded like it would be worth a listen.

5. rothpoetry says:

A wonderful singer and such a warm personality. I like her song…Tennessee Flat Top Box!

Glad you enjoy her music, Dwight!

I was lucky enough to see her in performance with just her husband John and a guitar–one of the best shows I ever saw. It was right when she released The List, and thats still one of my favorites. This album is pretty good too.
    You want a list? Just off the top of my head– Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Jean Richie, indigo Girls, Odetta, Annie Lennox, Tina Turner, Chrissie Hynde, Brittany Howard, Rhiannon Giddens, Patti Smith, Mavis Staples…ok, I’ll stop now. There’s an endless supply. Can’t wait to listen to your choices!

Very cool you got to see her live in an intimate setting, K. Thanks for the list. I can see at least one of the ladies on your list will be featured 🙂

I could give you a bunch more, but I’ll wait to be surprised!

7. The Hinoeuma says:

I LOVE Roseanne Cash!

8. Im starting to get back into her.