Women Music March 2021 – Day 3 – k.d. lang

File:Kdlang22 (cropped1).jpg
k. d. lang

Kathryn Dawn Lang OC AOE (born November 2, 1961), known by her stylized stage name k.d. lang, is a Canadian pop and country singer-songwriter and occasional actress. lang has won Juno Awards and Grammy Awards for her musical performances. Hits include the songs “Constant Craving” and “Miss Chatelaine“.

A mezzo-soprano, lang has contributed songs to movie soundtracks and has collaborated with musicians such as Roy Orbison, Tony Bennett, Elton John, The Killers, Anne Murray, Ann Wilson, and Jane Siberry. She performed at the closing ceremony of the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, Alberta and at the opening ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, where she performed Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah”. lang is also known for being an animal rights, gay rights, and Tibetan human rights activist. She is a tantric practitioner of the old school of Tibetan Buddhism.

Discography: 7 studio albums from 1988 – 2008, 6 collaborative albums from 1984 – 2016, and 1 soundtrack album (1993)

One thing to share:
She received a writing credit for the Rolling Stones 1997 song, “Anybody Seen My Baby?“, whose chorus sounds similar to “Constant Craving”. Jagger and Richards claimed to have never heard the song before and when they discovered the similarity prior to the song’s release, were flummoxed as to how the songs could be so similar. Jagger discovered his daughter listening to a recording of “Constant Craving” on her stereo and realized he had heard the song before many times but only subliminally. The two gave Lang credit, along with her co-writer Ben Mink, to avoid any possible lawsuits. Afterwards, Lang said she was “completely honoured and flattered” to receive the songwriting credit.

source: wikipedia

1. hanspostcard says:

What a voice.. seems like after the late 80’s- early 90’s- she has done little with it though.

I know what you mean!

2. Liam says:

I haven’t listened to k.d. lang in a long time. I need to remedy that.

I listened to the Ingenue album earlier today and was happy I did.

3. Carol anne says:

I dont really know a lot about KD Lang, so it was good to read this! xo

4. While her name immediately rang a bell, I really only know k.d. lang because of “Constant Craving,” which I think is a nice pop tune.

Her album, “Ingenue,” is excellent. Check it out if you get a chance. I also have her “Drag” album, which is all about smoking, but haven’t listened to it much.

1. Thanks for the tip, Lisa, will add her to my seemingly ever-growing list of artists to explore! 🙂

🙂 Hey it happens when you blog surf music blogs.

I commented yesterday but I guess something messed up…love her voice…always have…I haven’t heard anything from her in a long time.

Oh no, I haven’t checked my spam folder in a long time. It may be there — will check. I know, I love her voice too. I wish she’d make a comeback. I see she did a 25 year anniversary re-issue but we need new music from her.

I have commented before and the browser goes blank and it loses it that way…that didn’t happen yesterday…but whichever…no harm no foul.
        What I hate is when I have a long reply that gets wiped.

I hear you! When I see it disappear when I hit send there is a sinking feeling 😦

Now I’ve learned…I’ll select what I’m writing and copy before I hit “send.”

I just went through the spam folder — less than 100, not bad! — and didn’t see your comment. Another one ghosted by WP!

This is a worthy addition. I’m never unhappy when she shows up on the radio, although I can’t say I’m familiar with all her work. I really like “Hymns of the 49th Parallel” where she sings Canadian songwriters. (K)

That would be a good one to hear as there are so many good Canadian songwriters.

yes there are

7. Zelda Rene says:

Haven’t heard her sing for a long time, but her voice is magical!

8. I remember when she first started out jumping around in that cowgirl getup. Behind all the shenanigan’s was a talented gal.