Women Music March 2021 – Day 7 – Fran

Fran on Audiotree Live - Album Cover - Web.jpgMaria Jacobson from Fran

Fran is an American indie rock band from Chicago, Illinois. Frontwoman Maria Jacobson grew up interested in musical theater, however, became “fed up” with it while attending college. While in college, Jacobson purchased a guitar for herself to learn how to play while working at a repertory theater. After graduating from college, Jacobson moved to Mexico where she taught English. While in Mexico, Jacobson began writing music. Upon returning home from her career in Mexico, Jacobson decided to start a band.

Band members:
Maria Jacobson (vocals)
Mike Altergott (guitar)
Atticus Lazenby (bassist-keyboardist)
Raul Cotaquispe (drums)

Discography: 1 studio album (2019) and one EP (2017); it also looks like she performed a song, “Just One Look,” on the soundtrack of the 2020 movie, “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

One thing to share:
She’s from Chicago, IL. Not a lot of information out there on them (yet!) I love Jacobson’s voice, her lyrics, the way Altergott plays (he’s got perfect minimalist flourishes,) and the organic drumming of Cotaquispe.

Source:
wikipedia

1. First time I hear about Fran – I like it. Maria’s singing is pretty. I can hear a bit of Sarah McLachlan and a bit of Joni Mitchell in her voice. Also, Atticus Lazenby, what a cool name! 🙂

Can you tell I’m geeked about this group? Yes, I can hear those ladies in there, and yes very cool name. Atticus makes me think of “To Kill a Mockingbird.”

1. Fran sound like a great find. There’s also something to be said about self-taught musicians.

2. Well, this I like. Quite a lot. Thank you for the tip off

I’m glad, and you’re welcome!

I like how the guitar tone…speaking as a halfway musician mixes with her voice and fades back. Everything does seem natural. Who ever their sound person is knows what they are doing.

Great feedback on this from a musician’s p.o.v., Max! I really like how they put those pauses in there to wait for the sound to stop before continuing. Can’t wait to hear more from Fran. I’m sure Covid has put a big crimp in their touring and production of new music.

The dynamics are really good in it. To me dynamics are the most important thing…some bands don’t get there. I feel for all of the younger musicians right now…it’s almost impossible to ride this out right now.

4. Anonymous says:

New one for me, but I’m liking what I hear here… saving that session for listening to later.

Very glad you do, “Someone.” 🙂

5. J. says:

ok, you must be “Someone.” Glad you like it and hope you do listen to it later.

1. J. says:

Yes! Sorry – have no idea why it posted as Anonymous first time around.

No worries. WP does that from time to time and there is no explanation on why from them.

I like her voice. Not so crazy about more dirgelike music though. I’ll listen more later to see if all the songs have the same ambiance. (K)

Some are more upbeat but not that much more upbeat lol

It’s the fashion. But not one I’m fond of.