Women Music March 2021 – Day 18 – Linda Ronstadt

linda ronstadt live

Linda Ronstadt

Linda Maria Ronstadt (born July 15, 1946) is a retired American singer who performed and recorded in diverse genres including rock, country, light opera, and Latin. She has earned 10 Grammy Awards, three American Music Awards, two Academy of Country Music awards, an Emmy Award, and an ALMA Award. Many of her albums have been certified gold, platinum or multi-platinum in the United States and internationally. She has also earned nominations for a Tony Award and a Golden Globe award. She was awarded the Latin Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award by the Latin Recording Academy in 2011 and also awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award by the Recording Academy in 2016. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April 2014. On July 28, 2014, she was awarded the National Medal of Arts and Humanities. In 2019, she received a star jointly with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for their work as the group Trio. Ronstadt was among five honorees who received the 2019 Kennedy Center Honors for lifetime artistic achievements.

Ronstadt reduced her activity after 2000 when she felt her singing voice deteriorating, releasing her last full-length album in 2004 and performing her last live concert in 2009. She announced her retirement in 2011 and revealed shortly afterwards that she is no longer able to sing as a result of a degenerative condition later determined to be progressive supra-nuclear palsy. Since then, Ronstadt has continued to make public appearances, going on a number of public speaking tours in the 2010s. She published an autobiography, Simple Dreams: A Musical Memoir, in September 2013. A documentary based on her memoirs, Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice, was released in 2019.

Discography:
studio albums: 24 from 1969 – 2004
live albums: 1 in 2019
duets and trios albums: 5 from 1987 – 2016
compilation albums: 12 from 1974 – 2015 (4 of them multi-disc sets)

One thing to share:
Her mother, Ruth Mary, of German, English, and Dutch ancestry, was raised in Flint, Michigan. She was a granddaughter of Lloyd Groff Copeman, a prolific inventor and holder of many patents. Copeman, with nearly 700 patents to his name, invented an early form of the toaster, many refrigerator devices, the grease gun, the first electric stove, and an early form of the microwave oven. His flexible rubber ice cube tray earned him millions of dollars in royalties.

Source: wikipedia

She was the 1970s leading pop/rock female singer…to me anyway. She could sing anything and very well. One of my favorite female singers.

She’s one of my favorites also. Her tone reminds me of a perfectly calibrated wind chime bell. It sounds good by itself and meshes well with other voices. I know that sounds strange, but it’s what I think of when I hear her sing.

No I get what you are saying.

Another reason I respect her is because although she was gorgeous…she didn’t seem to exploit that much at all. Her music did more of the talking…

You know I have all of the albums she made with Dolly and Emmylou now 🙂

No I didn’t know that… I have heard some of their singing together…it’s made in heaven.

What a voice. Hard to pick a favorite song. I do love “Heart Like a Wheel” (K)

It’s the one album of hers I know well.

3. I’ve really come to love Linda Ronstadt. She was such a great and versatile vocalist. The harmony singing on her collaboration albums with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris is just amazing. Their cover of “After the Gold Rush” has literally brought me to tears.

Sad she can no longer perform. I watch that 2019 documentary. She appeared to be at ease with her situation. I guess she did have a great career.

I think you were the one who told me about the Trio albums. I haven’t seen the doc yet.

1. I really enjoyed the documentary!

4. Dave says:

One of my favorite artists, male or female, of the 70s. Seems like a very good person too… her bio is interesting but rather dull for those expecting a wild kiss’n’tell…she’s quite discrete, which I think is a bit of a credit. Such a shame she can’t sing anymore

Glad you enjoy her music, Dave. She’s a good’n.