Your Racist Friend – They Might Be Giants — Steve For The Deaf

The gateway arty college rock band of all gateway art college rock bands. They may take the obvious stance on this their most famous issues based song, but it appears time has swollen the potency of this track from TMBG’s third album, 1990’s Flood. These days these guys are either the sit com theme tune band or they’re the ones who aren’t BareNakedLadies to almost all

Your Racist Friend – They Might Be Giants — Steve For The Deaf

Steve for the Deaf talks about the They Might Be Giants song. Please take a read and learn.

1. Sadly a topic that remains very remains. I have no patience for racists!

I love when people start to tell a story with “You probably won’t think this is funny, but…” No. No I don’t. So don’t tell it to me. (K)

I hear you. I’ve had to tell people, “Just because I’m white don’t assume I’m a racist.” Isn’t that disgusting? I come from a family of racists so I’m even more sensitive to it. It took years and years to deprogram myself. I know my kids got a better head start than I did on sensitivity.

I find it especially with men and sexism. People pretty much know racist stuff is off the table with me, but somehow they think its still ok to act as if I’m fine with female degradation.

😦 I remember reading about a trans person who went from female to male. He was a scientist. He wrote about how differently he was treated as a man from when he was a woman, especially when it came to “good ‘ol boy” misogynistic comments that he was expected to go along with to be part of the club. Enough.

We need a culture overhaul.

When you are southern…you open your mouth and it is assumed many times…that is why I lost most of my southern accent…if not all.

I would have to call this type of assumption prejudice. I’m sorry to hear it, Max.

It is what it is…I know what I am so that is all that matters. It’s funny though because now when I talk to someone on the phone…I’ve had several people say…I bet you are from Oklahoma! So somewhere I picked that up lol. I’ve never been there.

Yes I like your first sentence. Wow, Oklahoma!? My cousins were born and raised in German (on a US army base) and both have lived in TX or AZ most of their lives. They both have TX accents.

I assume I have one lol. I think it’s years of listening to the Beatles talk growing up and changing my most southern sounds with a little British if that makes sense…it came natural after a while.

Wow, now you have got me curious.

It’s nothing special lol. Sometimes if I’m angry or lazy my southern ways comes out.
                Words like “ask”
                A southern way would be long A sound…the way I trained myself would be like “open your mouth and say “ahhh” I would say ahhhsk…or something like that…like you want to hear this.

4. Liam says:

A great song by one of my favorite bands.

I think these guys are a magnet for geeks (no offense intended!) 🙂

1. Liam says:

I resemble that remark.

5. I am a huge TMBG fan. Huge. Flood was my first album.

I’m not well-versed in their music (my son is) but I think you just gave yourself away as being a nerd 😉