Women Music March 2021 – Day 24 – Carole King

Carole King

Carole King Klein (born Carol Joan Klein; February 9, 1942) is an American singer-songwriter who has been active since 1958, initially as one of the staff songwriters at the Brill Building and later as a solo artist. She is the most successful female songwriter of the latter half of the 20th century in the US, having written or co-written 118 pop hits on the Billboard Hot 100. King also wrote 61 hits that charted in the UK, making her the most successful female songwriter on the UK singles charts between 1962 and 2005.

King’s major success began in the 1960s when she and her first husband, Gerry Goffin, wrote more than two dozen chart hits, many of which have become standards, for numerous artists. She has continued writing for other artists since then. King’s success as a performer in her own right did not come until the 1970s, when she sang her own songs, accompanying herself on the piano, in a series of albums and concerts. After experiencing commercial disappointment with her debut album Writer, King scored her breakthrough with the album Tapestry, which topped the U.S. album chart for 15 weeks in 1971 and remained on the charts for more than six years.

Discography:
Studio: 17 albums from 1970 – 2011
Live: 5 albums from 1994 – 2017
Compilation: 9 albums from 1978 – 2015
Soundtrack: 1 album in 1975

Other things to share:
King’s autobiography, A Natural Woman: A Memoir was published by Grand Central in the United States in April 2012. It entered The New York Times best seller list at No.6.

In late 2012, the Library of Congress announced that King had been named the 2013 recipient of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song – the first woman to receive the distinction, given to songwriters for a body of work. President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama hosted the award concert at the White House on May 22, 2013, with the President presenting the prize and reading the citation.

Carole King has been one of the most influential songwriters of our time. For more than five decades, she has written for and been recorded by many different types of artists for a wide range of audiences, communicating with beauty and dignity the universal human emotions of love, joy, pain and loss. Her body of work reflects the spirit of the Gershwin Prize with its originality, longevity and diversity of appeal.
–James H. Billington
Librarian of Congress

Source: wikipedia

1. Ingrid says:

Hooray for one of my all-time favourites 🤗

Happy to make you happy, Ingrid. I love her too!

2. Sheree says:

One of my all time faves

She’s one of the greats!

3. Chris Hall says:

Love her songs!

She’s a good’n!

4. Dave says:

A great talent, both as a writer and performer. I certainly hope the rock & Roll Hall of Fame correct the obvious oversight and induct her this year.
    Coincidentally, today I wrote about another great musical Carol of the 60s- Carol Kaye.

She’s not in “the hall” yet??? Unreal, especially in light of others who are. I will check out your post on Carol Kaye who I know is an unsung hero in the music of her time.

5. hanspostcard says:

IF all she had done was the album Tapestry she would still be an important figure in music…

6. Carole King is just an amazing artist. “Tapestry” was one of the first vinyl music records I heard as a 7 or 8-year-old. I didn’t understand a word of English at the time, but the music and Carole’s singing were enough to draw me in. I’ve been a fan ever since. I agree with Hans that only for that timeless gem of an album does Carole deserve to be recognized as one of the greatest key singer-songwriters of our time.

What still blows my mind that “Tapestry” was preceded by the 10-year-plus writing partnership with Gerry Goffin. They wrote so many hits for other artists like “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” (The Shirelles), “Take Good Care of My Baby” (Bobby Vee), “The Loco-Motion” (Little Eva), “One Fine Day” (The Chiffons), “I’m Into Somethin’ Good” (Herman’s Hermits) and “Pleasant Valley Sunday” (The Monkees), to name some. Goffin-King even went somewhat psychedelic with the excellent “Don’t Bring Me Down” for The Animals.

I also hope that Carole will finally be inducted into the Rock & Hall of Fame this year. Though I suspect given how moderate she is when it comes to recognition, she probably doesn’t get sleepless nights over it. At least she and Goffin are in the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Thank you so much for expanding on the information and your personal connection to her music. She’s one of a kind in my book.

Tapestry was an album I grew up on…what a talent…and that is not counting all of those 60s songs she co-wrote as the soundtrack of that decade.

She is pretty amazing!