A2Z 2021 Jethro Tull Songs Day 14(A) New Day Yesterday from Stand Up (1969)

N letter_scaled

During an interview with BraveWords in 2015, Anderson selected Stand Up as his favorite Tull album: “I suppose if you were to really twist my arm, I would probably go back to 1969, with the Stand Up album, because that was my first album of first really original music. It has a special place in my heart.” Barre and Bunker have also ranked it as being among their favorite Tull albums.

Recording engineer Andy Johns tried some innovative recording techniques on the album; for example on, “A New Day Yesterday” he achieved a swirling, stereo-shifting guitar effect by swinging an expensive Neumann U67 microphone on its cable in wide circles around the studio.

The song is one of the 10 tracks on the original album. Multiple subsequent releases have added varying numbers of other tracks.

Anderson has denied that songs concerning relationships such as “A New Day Yesterday”… were inspired by real life experiences, saying that

I’ve always had a feeling that you don’t talk about real stuff when it comes to that, and that you shouldn’t betray real relationships in songs.

Source: wikipedia

My first and last time with you
And we had some fun.
Went walking through the trees, yeah!
And then I kissed you once.

Oh I want to see you soon
But I wonder how.
It was a new day yesterday
But it’s an old day now.

Spent a long time looking
For a game to play.
My luck should be so bad now
To turn out this way.

Oh I had to leave today
Just when I thought I’d found you.
It was a new day yesterday
But it’s an old day now.
Songwriter: Ian Anderson

A2Z 2021 on each page banner

I love how they swung a mic around the room for an effect. Now there is a boring plugin that you use on a computer. No one experiments like this anymore.
    This is probably my favorite of the ones you have posted…

I’m listening to it right now. It’s a good jam! Glad it makes the top of your list so far.

1. Another thumbs up.

Thanks Frederique!

2. Liam says:

I honestly had no idea that Jethro Tull is so bluesy.

In their early days yes. They’ve morphed pretty regularly over the years.

3. ghostmmnc says:

Very good song! I like the deep bass tones, and I keep being reminded of songs by Cream. 🙂

4. Paula Light says:

Lovely lyrics 💕

5. ahtdoucette says:

What a wonderfully chill song. Thanks for explaining about the guitar. I usually queue the music before reading your post and I was like wow that is a cool sound and wasn’t sure if I was imagining that it was a bit different. That explains it. Cool. Very true about always fictionalizing real relationships in writing/song. I love that note too. Very good advice to keep in mind. Man, I love that guitar sound though.

Am I turning you into a Jethro Tull fan? So glad you’re connecting with their music.

1. ahtdoucette says:

LOL. I don’t know. Maybe. I’m not sure I’ve heard any of their songs before. I’m starting to feel like I might need to listen to them after April and see. Definite maybe. It feels like great writing/chilling music.

Most of it is, but they also have some hard rockers as well.

1. ahtdoucette says:

I did a side by side comparison and I think I like Yo-Yo-Ma better for writing. I’ll have to try different ones of their songs. Mostly as a distraction from writing. LOL. I am such a procrastinator. Maybe that one with the swinging mic. And then absolutely back to writing.

1. ahtdoucette says:

Okay think this song is better for music writing. That trippy mic thing makes my brain so happy. I don’t know why. I was trying to listen to Aqualung (since it’s their famous one) and was like uh, it’s okay. Yeah, this is really cool. Totally missed it was *this day’s* song and was trying to find what it was called for a bit. =D Have a great weekend!

🙂 You too, Anne!

The Cream phase. (K)

7. Great tune! As a blues rock fan, it’s right up my alley!

So happy you like this one, Christian 🙂

8. There’s that blues mixed in with the newer direction. I have this one on vinyl.

It’s an excellent album! I wish I could say I had any of their music on vinyl.

1. Thats what I get for being from another time.

I have vinyl too just not Tull vinyl 🙂

9. Cool recording technique with the swirling mic!

Yes, a lot of these old groups got creative with their sound effects.