excerpt from Bridge Michigan, “Michigan’s nonpartisan, nonprofit news source, May 11, 2021: “On eve of Line 5 shutdown deadline, Enbridge vows to defy Michigan order”

on

Demonstrators gather in Mackinaw City for a protest against the Line 5 pipeline

Demonstrators gather in Mackinaw City for a protest against the Line 5 pipeline, which crosses the Straits of Mackinac between St. Ignace and Mackinaw City. (Photo courtesy of Whitney Gravelle)

Enbridge Energy technically has one more day to shut down the Line 5 pipeline in the Straits of Mackinac, but even the pipeline’s most vocal opponents acknowledge slim odds that the oil actually stops flowing right away.

In the six months since Gov. Gretchen Whitmer gave Enbridge 180 days to stop transporting petroleum across the tempestuous waterway that links Lakes Michigan and Huron, and the four months since Enbridge vowed to defy her, state officials have been adamant that the order still stands.

But as for what Michigan can or will do if Enbridge keeps the oil flowing beyond midnight on Wednesday?

That’s unclear.

Spokespeople for the governor declined to answer questions about their plans, but supplied a written statement noting that Whitmer “stands behind her decision” to cancel the easement that first gave Enbridge’s predecessor permission to build a pipeline along the sandy bottom of the straits 68 years ago.

“We cannot risk the devastating economic, environmental, and public health impacts of a catastrophic oil spill in the Great Lakes,” the statement reads.

Please click here to go to the rest of the article.  In addition, there are links at the article that comprehensively cover what has come before that has led up to the “showdown.”

1. M. Oniker says:

I was born in Michigan. I love the Great Lakes. I love the Mackinac area. I had no idea. A 68-yr-old pipeline!!! Yikes. Fingers crossed that intelligence wins and that thing gets shut down and all possibilities of a spill are destroyed. ffs…

They are trying to get it approved to build another pipeline and surround it with a tunnel. No way! It’s still a menace. I have read they are saying some kind of treaty between the US and Canada says no one shall interrupt the flow of energy-producing substances (paraphrase) but I don’t care! Treaties change when circumstances change, and 68 years means a LOT of change, especially when it comes to caring about what happens to such a huge source of fresh water!

I never knew there was a pipe in there! They can cause so much damage.

YES! And basically the corp is saying they will ignore our governor! Thank goodness Biden is in office. We at least have a chance of putting an end to the madness! You see he canceled all of the permits for the XL pipeline out west, which def sets a tone.

Can they not get the gas there some other way without risking the water?

Oil tanker trunks maybe? You would think some of those huge ships on the Great Lakes could move it around. I think they want what makes them the most profits.

Well those ships can sink…that would be my thought…trucks would be the safest way.

I agree. Of course not being dependent on oil at all is the safest…

Yea I would love that… like today…Jennifer and Bailey went out and no gas to be found in our little town anywhere. I’m glad I filled up on Monday…I’ve been oblivious to the news…I didn’t know this was going on as far as the hacking.

What is going on??? Another blogmate who lives in NC said his town was out of gas also.

Someone or country hacked into a pipeline is all I know…so your story kind of syncs with everything in a way.

All I can say is WOW!

When will we learn? Apparently, never. You would think at least some of these corporations could see past profits to the impact it will have on the lives of their family and friends. (K)

Kerfe, until the stockholders, who are just as evil and money-grubbing as the corporation, acknowledge they don’t care about the planet and hide behind the icon of the logo, our mother is in danger.

I just don’t get it. No thought in those brains at ll.