dVerse — Poetics — Repurposing

on

figure in case.jpg

I’m in a glass case of emotion.
-Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, 2004 –

Repurposing

I’m in a glass case of emotion
casually placed on your shelf
a trophy for the world to see
yet suffocating, dessicating,
becoming a museum piece;
an oddity, an icon of other times,
something you visit on “free day”

Let me be your Wardian case
deep with pungent loam,
planted with perennial seeds;
something you water and tend.
I promise if you do, you’ll see
me green, grow, and bloom
as you also sprout yourself anew.

top image link
bottom image is of The Wardian Case at Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park (which I’ve seen up close MANY times!)

Mish is today’s host for dVerse’ Poetics.  Mish says:
So as you may have predicted, “your mission should you choose to accept it” is to select one of the movie quotes above and incorporate it into a poem of any style.

1. sanaarizvi says:

This is incredibly heartfelt, Lisa! I think most people forget at times .. that our green friends require more attention and care. ❤️❤️❤️

Sanaa thank you very much for your wonderful comment.

2. Mish says:

Metaphorically marvelous. Nurture each other, grow…..we all benefit. Loved this one, Lisa.

Thank you very much, Mish, for your kind words — and for the prompt that made the poem possible ❤

3. Ron. says:

This lets me be inside and outside the case, looking out / looking in simultaneously, Lisa. Thanks!

Cool, Ron. Thank you.

4. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

I have been too selfish, too busy to tend to plants. I have a brown thumb. There never are enough hours in the day. My creative projects always exceed my grasp.

I don’t see you as a selfish person, but everyone has their own life triage. I’m guessing what keeps you busy is your writing and your photography.

Glenn, my yard work is what gives me a sense of purpose. And I finally got the tomatoes and peppers planted this afternoon!

5. Grace says:

I love the message of being able to grow and nurture, instead of being put in display like a museum piece. Good uplifting and positive message.

Grace, thank you for your comment and glad you enjoyed the message.

A beautiful poem! Shows your love of growing things.

You’re always welcome

7. kaykuala h says:

I promise if you do,
    you’ll see me green,

Love the balancing contrast Jade! You beautifully picture a friendly response to the laments in the earlier stanzas!

Hank

Thank you so much for reading and your thoughtful comment, Hank.

8. Such truth in the metaphor – we need that intimacy, that “tending” that keeps relationships fresh and vibrant.

9. Ali Grimshaw says:

I love the metaphor. The way you have written that first stanza especially grabbed me.
    “I’m in a glass case of emotion
    casually placed on your shelf”
    Fantastic poem.

Ali, thank you 🙂

1. Ali Grimshaw says:

I meant every word. Keep shining your light.

10. rothpoetry says:

A very interesting poem Lisa. I like the contrast of being on the shelf or being in the ground. A great take on the prompt.

Thank you, Dwight, glad you found it interesting.

11. Ingrid says:

A great repurposing: from a still museum piece to something alive and blooming!

🙂 Indeed!

12. AH. strong metaphors here, Ms. Jade. It’s human nature to think we are the only one’s rightful of tending. ❤

Yes it is, Rosemarie. If each can tend to each other, maybe our human experience can be enhanced a little?

1. I agree. I think a lot. So much more.

13. Nobody, not even flowers, should be shut in a case. Let it grow!

14. Great choice of title, and skillful write!

Thank you, Beverly. Who knew Ron Burgundy would be so inspirational! 🙂

15. Great choice of title, and skillful write!

16. Beautiful piece with a timely message. Well done, Jade/Li!

17. Helen Dehner says:

Lovely write ….. Bend Oregon’s climate is high desert which is challenging to say the least when it comes to beautiful gardens ….. I rely on deck containers. However .. not as troubling as the glass container. Loved reading about your tomatoes and peppers too.

Thank you, Helen 🙂 Sounds like an unusual climate with high desert. How close are you to Portland? Around here the grass is so domineering that it invades any open space. I had a tarp over the area I planted the tomatoes and peppers for a good year just to have clear space.

18. I love how you gave life to the character in the glass case and then compared it to the plants in the case which are nurtured and kept alive for the benefits of themselves as well as the viewer. It made me feel sad for the character 😢

It’s a sad situation for the character in the case 😦 Thanks for seeing the character’s pain.

19. Everyone needs to be “tended to,” appreciated for who they are.

You’re right. I wish everyone had that person who appreciated them.

20. I hope I can tend people better than I tend the plants… though I am getter better with the plants this year.

🙂 You’re a sensitive soul, which leads to being a good tender of others’. Thank you for reading and your comment.

Tending is key. Even objects need love. (K)

So very true, K. They say plants are silent, but when my plants need water they nag me!

Plants definitely communicate!

22. Xan says:

Oh I love a good garden metaphor!

fyi, I just signed onto fb and saw your IM. I have friend requested you 🙂

23. sean@bogie says:

Love the sentiment, well executed too.

Thank you, Sean, glad you connected with it 🙂

I really like how you made a character out of the object Lisa.
    I love that glass case btw.

The top one or the Wardian one? I see they have them for sale. I have a huge aquarium in the garage that a co-worker gave me — with all the bells and whistles, including a few fish — that I think I’ll turn into a Wardian case. Another project on the to-do list…

I like both but the the Wardian Case caught my eye…that’s a good idea about the aquarium.

It’s funny because I love glas structures like that and Jennifer had just given me something for an early Fathers Day present…basically a glass shadow box…3 of them by an artist named Virgil Thrasher from 1974…I love them… he painted on glass and then a backdrop from behind.

Oh wow! Jennifer knows what you like and such a wonderful gift. That link is a blog I’ve been to before looking at Turner stuff, which I adore.

She hit it out of the park on this one. They are so much better in person also.