Doodads 061621 The larch tree is planted as of today and more…

Click on links to see pics full size.

resized bluebird near nest 0621
bluebird box and bluebird. not easy to get pictures of these shy birds, but that’s ok

resized deep pink astilbe with ladybug 0621
dark pink astilbe starting to bloom. ladybug.

resized Gaura Belleza new in 2021 0621
new perennials this week Gaura Belleza

resized ladybug on astilbe 0621
closeup of ladybug

resized larch planted near ginkgo today 061621
finally got the larch planted. she is now neighbors with one of the ginkgos

resized larch tree planted today 2 061621
She is finally planted as of today. I had to buy a hand truck to move the whole thing over here.

resized larch tree planted today 061621
Digging in the dirt. Quite a job. Good thing the heat wave left 2 days ago.

resized penstemon aka beardtongue new in 2021 0621
Another new perennial, grows 2-3 feet tall. Penstemon aka beardtongue. Hummingbirds are going to love it.

resized triple peony blossom 061421
First time I’ve ever seen the peony with 3 blossoms on one stem. Very few of them bloomed this year because of drought and an invasive plant that keeps taking over their spaces. This bed will be dug up in the fall. I curse the woman at the garden shop for urging me to buy the “herb” 8 years ago.

resized white peony 061421
The only white peony that bloomed and it looks quite scraggly. My fault for allowing the invasive “herb” and not watering them as I should have.

resized survivor tomato 0621
believe it or not, all of the frostbit tomato plants recovered. Yes they are behind but that’s ok. I also bought one more small brandywine red but it’s smaller than these and cost me $4!
resized invasive herb
invasive “herb” that I was heartily encouraged to buy 8 years ago. It has methodically eradicated half of my peonies and is working on eradicating the rest. Do not, under any circumstances, ever buy or plant this whatever-it-is. If you can identify it, please let me know. Your prize: a poem on the topic of your choice.

1. Jen Goldie says:

Good to hear about the tomato plants! The peonies are gorgeous!
    Everything looks great! I have everything crossed for the Larch Tree. πŸ™‚πŸ€žπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘ I hereby declare June 16th as LISA’S LARCH TREE DAY!
    btw what was the herb that was so invasive? Was it mint?

Thank you Jen! I’m going to put that in the calendar on my phone and do a post on it next year πŸ™‚ No, it isn’t mind, the leaves look like the foliage on mums but oh this stuff goes out of control and takes over wherever you plant it. Thankfully it is in a contained bed right now and hopefully eradicated from that bed in the fall (will put pulled up plants in the trash bin instead of the compost bin. I will try to remember to take a pic of it.

1. Jen Goldie says:

Yah I’d be interested to know what the herb is. Try to do an image search. I do that all the time. Mum leaves eh? Hmm
        Happy future LARCH DAY! 😊

Jen, I just added a picture of it at the end of my post. It’s dark outside but my camera has a flash so I was able to take it.

1. Jen Goldie says:

ok I’ll look

2. Jen Goldie says:

It looks like Mugwort. Hmm

Jen I think you’re right! Just scanned some pages. Some think it’s a useful remedy but it’s considered an invasive species in a lot of places. That is not what she called it at the nursery! I see it is a kind of artemisia.

Your garden is looking lovely.

My pleasure

3. Mark S says:

It is good to see the that the larch made it to its new home.

Thank you, Mark. I’m sure you know planting a tree that size is a lot of work. So relieved it’s done now. I’m sure the tree is also.

4. rothpoetry says:

Great photos. Love your bluebird box and bird! Your tree should do great in that spot. Tomatoes will come back.

Thanks a lot, Dwight.

5. Dora says:

Love your garden, Lisa. A little bit of heaven. The larch looks happy next to the ginkgo too.
    pax,
    dora

Thank you, Dora. I can’t wait until they each grow enough to touch branches.

YES. Thank you! It’s a noxious nightmare. I don’t care how medicinal it is it’s going bye-bye real soon! OK what topic do you want your poem on, Jen πŸ™‚

1. Jen Goldie says:

Poem? OMG
        I dunno.πŸ™‚
        I’m just glad I could help. But maybe ,,,,
        In keeping with my little Sparrow friends, who visit me everyday/all day. They’ve really been great to have around. One of the regulars is bringing a fledgling. πŸ’œIts so cute.

Slim Verse for Jen

sparrows hop
          branch to soil
          fledgling fluffs
          to get fed

Thanks again, Jen!

1. Jen Goldie says:

Thankyou so much Lisa! πŸ’œ Sweet!!

You’re very welcome and I’m glad they are keeping you company.

1. Jen Goldie says:

It’s great! I put a small container of water out and they use it too.
                Thanks again! πŸ™‚

6. I loved that bird house. That pink peony looks amazing. 3 blossoms! I hope you can get rid of that invasive plant and save your peonies. I’m glad the tomatoes have recovered. Let me see if I can find out what that invasive herb is. Great garden, Li!

Shweta, thank you for the glowing words on the yard. Jen Goldie identifed it as mugwort.

1. You’re very welcome, Li. Oh. That’s great! I’ll beware of mugwort.

7. Ingrid says:

Lovely to see the larch tree taking root! πŸ™‚

It’s happy, yes!

Great job Lisa….I love the picture of the ladybug on the Pink
    Astilbe…that is good enough to be framed.

Everything looks great. I’m glad the tree found a home too. Keep the updates coming! (K)

A litany of relief this week: got the tree planted, got the mower back, got all of the mowing done, and it rained all last night. Life is good. I will!

It is (strangely).

10. Dave says:

Very nice. May the larch grow tall and proud! That’s so nice having bluebirds using your box! Love those little birds… one of few things I like about here more than the North is that they are still pretty common in these parts (also were in Atlanta). Up in Ontario they were rare, there was a whole nestbox trail in our county but most years still only had maybe half a dozen pairs total over 20 miles or so of appropriate terrain and scattered boxes.
    That white peony is great. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one though I haven’t actually looked for them…

Thanks, Dave. I hope so too! I just looked up types of bluebirds and see there are Eastern, Western, and Mountain. You probably have the Western or Mountain type? Maybe your type in TX isn’t as shy as these Eastern ones? They really avoid humans! Once I get the mugwort eradicated I hope to replant with more colors. I used to have a beautiful light pink one, now only these 2 shades in this raised bed. I do have 3 other nice plants out in another bed but it doesn’t get enough sun. They will be transplanted to the revamped full sun bed. One of those is yellow and not sure what the other ones are they haven’t ever bloomed.

11. J. says:

Excellent! Glad to hear the frostbit tomato plants made it!

Truly amazing! Thank you, J.

12. judeitakali says:

Amazing captures Jade.

Jude, thanks much. My plants are my family.

1. judeitakali says:

Hey! Don’t call me a plant. πŸ˜…πŸ™πŸΎ