poem — Lament on the Fly

on

LOCUST Like CICADA INVASION!! Billions EAST USA; Now ...

Why will the bugs not go away?
Why will the bugs not go away?

The heat has made them multiply
They crawl, they bite, they flutter by
They eat the crops, get in my eye
The heat has made them multiply

Their frolicked buzzes make me cringe
Their frolicked buzzes make me cringe

In every color, shape, and form
They churn into distinctive swarms
The pretty even lose their charm
In every color, shape, and form

Their nemeses can’t eat them all
Their nemeses can’t eat them all

I dream of quiet winter’s freeze
The bugs have brought me to my knees
I dream of quiet winter’s freeze
I dream of quiet winter’s freeze

top image link

Paul at Paul’s Poetry Playground created the singsangsong poetry form. It looked like he had a fun time writing some which inspired me to give it a try. I was right, it was a lot of fun.

Please check out Paul’s blog at the link for details on how to write the singsangsong form! I dare you to give it a try.

A fun poem Li.

Thank you! A good venting of my frustration with the bugs.

2. Slightly creepy, also that Pearl Jam tune! ๐Ÿ™‚

You’ve nailed it, Christian. Bugs ARE creepy!

3. kittysverses says:

Nice one, Li. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. kittysverses says:

You are welcome, Li. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. this felt like a song. effective refrains, Ms. Lisa โค

Thank you, Rosemarie. I think I succeeded in the singsangsong form ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Paul Szlosek says:

Great job! I really love your poem! Thanks so much for writing a singsangsong and spreading the word on the form…

Thank you, and my pleasure, Paul ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Dale says:

Fun one, Lisa! Though, ugh… swarms of bugs are never fun, are they?

This is definitely the worst year EVER for bugs. No joke!

1. Dale says:

I’m not saying a word because we didn’t get all that much rain (yet – she says as she watches the drops hit the windos) so the skeeters have been rather minimal – which is a very rare thing!

Dale, the skeeters aren’t too bad here either because of lack of rain, but all others have gone berzerk. I’m glad your skeeters are in check ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Dale says:

Touch wood… we aren’t inclined to get the masses of cicadas and for some strange reason, the shad flies were nothing that I noticed – not that I drove along where they like to decorate your windshield!!

One of my kitchen was invaded by flies one summer. I finally found a hole under the cabinet that I plugged up. The building next door was vacant and they must have been coming from there. It truly was like a horror movie. (K)

Ugh!!!!! God knows what might have been generating them in the vacant apartment!!!!!!!

I remember once when a mouse died (didn’t learn what it was until later, when I found its dried out corpse in a drawer with potholders, which I then tossed en masse) and several large black flies were flying around in the house for a number of days. My stomach churns just thinking of it.

They are pretty disgusting.