Doodads — Bird Sunday

DOODADS BANNER

It’s been a sunny but very cold day, with bitter winds.  Sitting inside in the warm on a cushy couch, I was able to snap a few pictures of birds that variously perched in one of the apple trees while waiting their turns at the bird feeders.  The way they fluffed up shows you how cold it was today.  I do apologize for the fuzziness of the images, but they were taken through two panes of glass with the digital zoom on.  They are more impressionistic than anything.

blue jay in tree 010922 (2)
blue jay

2 male cardinals 1 female in tree 010922 (2)
2 male and 1 female cardinal

female front facing and male cardinal in tree 010922 (2)

cotton puff snow in winter shrub 010822 (2)
When I got up yesterday this is what I saw outside one of my windows. The snow was almost up to the window and the shrub had what looks like snow puffs on it.

1. Wow! Such pretty visitors, Li. And that tree looks awesome.

Thank you, Punam. The apple tree is pretty neat, and there is also a bigger tree (cottonwood, I think) behind it that makes it look like one big tree.

1. You are welcome. I thought it’s one tree!

Those glimpses of colorful feathers always brighten any day! (K)

3. Adina says:

It’s kind of winter I’d read in my primary school Russian language exercise textbooks and you live in it with proper snow all over outside and birds who stay and stand the cold, unlike the ones who flied away to warmer regions

Well-said, Adina. This year it took winter awhile to get here, but it’s here now. It is amazing that the birds can survive through the bitter cold for months.

4. Dale says:

Through the window or not, they are lovely visitors to have!
    I think you got more snow than we did!

Thanks, Dale. We got probably 15″ so far and it’s sticking.

1. Dale says:

Wow! We had snow falling pretty much sideways yesterday (yeah, it was that windy) but no big accumulation.

Dale we had that horizontal snow last week. We have more snow but after seeing your temps in your posts it gets way colder there! Windchill ain’t no joke!

1. Dale says:

Windchill is particularly nasty today and tomorrow. -8 right now.. F, not C 😉 in C, the windchill is -22. Not to be taken lightly but honestly, not as bad as I’ve see 😉

5. Dave says:

Very nice! Even here, the feeder outside the bedroom window (well, it’s in a tree about 12 feet away) is one of my daily sources of happiness in winter. Mostly just the “common” species – largely Cardinals, Blue Jays (like yours), chickadees, Tufted Titmouses (titmice?), Mockingbirds (which many books suggest do not come to feeders, but they like the food here) but it’s great to watch them and figure I’m helping them survive when it gets really cold. One of my best thoughts about my mom was that she did like nature and put up feeders in our yard in Ontario when I was little and that helped me really appreciate birds, and in turn, nature in general.

Dave that is so awesome you learned bird appreciation from your mom and follow her tradition with the feeders. My younger son also has bird feeders up now so that makes me happy and proud of him. What’s put a crimp in the bird feeding this year has been the almost doubling of the price of oiler sunflower seeds from last year 😦 I was forced to buy the cheaper “general” birdfood that has a lot of what I consider waste with relatively few oiler seeds. I do see different birds coming in now (juncos are new) and less chickadees. I have continued to have the suet cages up — even though one mysteriously disappeared! — which brings all species of woodpeckers and others in to eat.

Birds really pop out in a snow. You can see them really well. We get cardinals around and they awesome.

Hoping your snow situation has settled down there? Cardinals surely add color to the scenery.

Yes it did…the sun came out on Saturday… on Sunday we had severe thunderstorms and flash floods…seems like we are going from one extreme to another…but since then we have had a couple of normal days.

I’m not sure what is worse, the blizzards or the floods, you’re right extremes in weather have become the norm 😦 It got down to 10F last night and with the windchill even colder. Weird to think a week ago there was no snow on the ground.

That is cold! Needless to say lol. All in all we got 8 inches of snow…everything was shut down. 1-2 inches shuts Nashville down.
            I haven’t seen 8 inches of snow since the 70s.

Wow that is a lot of snow for Nashville!

7. selizabryangmailcom says:

Beautiful vibrant birds and scenery. I have a little bit of snow/real winter experience from living in NYC for seven years, so I know that it’s actually a little warmer when it snows and it IS the wind (as said above) that’s absolutely freezing cold. It was stamped in my mind a few times when I was walking home from work with all the layers on including long coat past the knees, scarf, gloves, etc., etch, and with the wind chill, I might as well have been naked. You know what I’m talking about! NAKED !!!! lol

You do good comments, Stacey. Arctic air molecules are tiny and they get vicious when they decide to crawl under your clothes en masse.

Hey, I’ve started reading your book! I’m on page 96 and am loving it.

8. selizabryangmailcom says:

Tiny arctic air particles attacking en masse! Brrrrrrrr, lol !!!!!!!
    And–eeeeeek/yay on the book! Always a nail biting time for me. I do hope you have some fun, and thanks again for your support !!

Stacey, I had forgotten how funny your writing is. This one has me just a tad frightened also. I’m at the part where she finds Dante and his roommate. Talk about creepy!

9. selizabryangmailcom says:

Ha ha! Good! Good reaction, I’m thrilled, lol !! Many many thanks, Li.

You’re welcome, and it’s my pleasure.

10. selizabryangmailcom says:

🙂
    Aw.
    Speaking of pleasures….when will your poetry come out?

Which poetry???

11. selizabryangmailcom says:

The haiku series! I looked it up. Coming out in February. I hope you send out a reminder…….

Ah yes, I will reblog that day on my blog. Hoping you will see it.