The Second British Invasion Music Series — The Brit Box, Disc 1, Track 16, “This is How it Feels,” by Inspiral Carpets

The Second British Invasion Music Series banner

Inspiral Carpets

Steve Huey from allmusic says about Inspiral Carpets:

After the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets were arguably the third most popular band to emerge from the late-’80s/early-’90s Madchester scene. Like the Charlatans UK, they weren’t quite as innovative as the city’s two standard-bearers, relying less on the contemporary dance club beats that became Madchester pop’s identifying signature. They did, however, share a fascination with trippy psychedelia, particularly the Farfisa organ-drenched sound of Nuggets-style garage rock from the ’60s, which set them apart from their peers. It also enabled them to tinker with their sound once the Madchester fad had passed, and the group continued to score hits right up to their mid-’90s breakup.

The band reformed in 2003 and went through personnel changes up through 2016. On November 20, 2016, drummer, Craig Gill, committed suicide, thought to be related to 20 years of debilitating tinnitus. The band has been inactive since then.

Per wikipedia, Life is Inspiral Carpets’ debut studio album, released on April 23, 1990. The group released three singles from this album: “Move“, “This Is How It Feels” and “She Comes in the Fall“, with the latter two in different versions from those found on the album. This is How it Feels is the 4th cut on the album. The song hit the British Top 20 and landed them a TV appearance on Top of the Pops.

Personnel on the album:
Clint Boon – keyboards, backing vocals
Craig Gill – drums
Tom Hingley – lead vocals
Graham Lambert – guitars
Martyn Walsh – bass

The second verse of this song was changed for the radio edit. The original lyrics for the first and third line were: “There’s a funeral in the town” and “Seems they found him under a train” respectively. However, in the radio version, they are as follows: “Black car drives through the town” and “Left a note for a local girl.” The edit was most likely made because the original version’s lyrics were in reference to suicide.

“This Is How It Feels”

Husband don’t know what he’s done
Kids don’t know what’s wrong with Mum
She can’t say, they can’t see
Putting it down to another bad day
Daddy don’t know what he’s done
Kids don’t know what’s wrong with Mum

So this is how it feels to be lonely
This is how it feels to be small
This is how it feels
When your word means nothing at all

Black car drives through the town

Some guy from the top estate

Left a note for a local girl

And yet he had it all on a plate

So this is how it feels to be lonely

So this is how it feels to be lonely
This is how it feels to be small
This is how it feels
When your word means nothing at all
Songwriter: Clint Boon

1. great post and song Lisa! love the lyrics! 💖

Thanks, Cindy, glad you like this one. It’s too bad they made them change the lyrics to the airplay version.

1. I did and yes that was unfortunate!

2. Cool song with a nice retro sound. The thought of 20 years of debilitating tinnitus sounds pretty horrifying. I can see why this could somebody drive to take their own life.

Glad you like the song, Christian. My heart goes out to anyone who has it. I have a mild case of it now but sometimes it gets pretty bad.

1. I’m sorry, Lisa. My dad has tinnitus as well, and sometimes it’s pretty bad.

It bugs me most when I go to bed because there are no distractions from it then. One thing that seems to help is turning off all electronic devices. I believe the wifi waves are the source or at least contribute to it.

1. My dad has told me the same about lack of distraction at night in bed.

I heard there are little devices similar to hearing aids that emit certain sounds/ frequencies that are designed to “neutralize” the tinnitus. I’m not sure how effective they are and also imagine results vary from patient to patient like with most other medical treatments.

Good to know about the devices. Will look into them.

Still sounds fresh. (K)

Of the links of songs I put in this, I like “Move” best. I agree it still sounds fresh.

Now this is a different kind of sound. I like this one. I have not disliked any that you have had in this series. I thought it would be full of 80s music I didn’t like…but this is a good package.

I agree with everything you say here. I’m enjoying it so far and am learning about the genres and the bands as I go.

This fits in nicely with the unknown bands from the 80s I kept covering….and will continue when time permits.

5. Dave says:

Love it and the few other Inspiral Carpets songs I heard …back in the day they & Mighty Lemon Drops were my two favorite “new” British bands from about ’88-92. Great organ sound and retro feel on all their stuff. Odd, I never really listened to the lyrics of this one that closely, didn’t really piece it together but they’re quite good albeit downbeat.

Glad to see you’re familiar with this one. Not sure what a Farfisa organ is but I like the sound of it. Have you heard, “Move”?

6. Dave says:

I don’t know that one by name , “Commercial Rain” was a goodie, I remember hearing a few others by them but can’t remember the titles.