dVerse — Poetics — The dragon is a fractal.

on

The dragon is a fractal.
The dragon is a fractal?
That which has been regarded at an end
has revealed its infinity.
It’s not a dot-eyed twin small fry
wiggling in waterways that
one day bursts into the sky.
It’s dragons all the way down
and flies high beyond high.

What associated lexicography
is to be reminted? When down
is up and up is down in forevers
in waterways below and above;
from snowflakes to rainclouds and the
recursive slurry they slink about in?

The dragon, like the turtle,
goes all the way down. And up,
up, and on its way.
The dragon is a fractal.

image is Japanese Dragon by Coji 13

I am today’s host of dVerse’ Poetics.ย  I say:
1) Use any of the definitions, examples, images, or application of fractals to inspire you to write whatever strikes your fancy.

OR

2) Think about something/someone in your world that you have, up to this point, only given a superficial consideration of and decide to look a little closer at it/them. Use what you discover as fodder for a poem.

1. Paula Light says:

Wonderful! ๐Ÿ‰

Isn’t that cool as heck?! It’s like learning Elvis is still in the building ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Gillena Cox says:

Infinity speaks in your poem. Bravo

Happy you dropped by to read mine

Much๐Ÿ’šlove

Gillena, thank you for what you see in the poem โค My pleasure on reading yours.

2. Dale says:

What an interesting take, Lisa. I do love how your mind works.

Dale, it’s going to take a long time to see the shift in my perception based on the new info. Thank you for your kind words.

1. Dale says:

๐Ÿ™‚

3. Such a fascinating post you posted…actually. more than fascinating, and displayed here in lovely way. So well done.

Ain, thanks, buddy! Looking forward to seeing what you write to the prompt ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Grace says:

This is a creative approach to the prompt and makes me question of what I know of them. If one looks closely the designs and creatures, one can be astonished by their existence in other ways.

5. Ron. says:

Dragonishly gooood indeed, Lisa. And THANKS for hosting us with such an interesting (and challenging!) prompt.

Thanks much, Ron. I enjoyed reading what you wrote to the prompt.

6. Well that explains a lot! ๐Ÿ˜† The dragon curve must have some mathematical magic, as above so below, and the dragon knows! ๐Ÿฒ

LOL! What flips me out is how far back were dragons depicted like this in Asian art? I think it was a long long time ago. It’s like finding cave are 100 million years earlier than what archeologists thought humans existed at. Same with the Hindu temples. This is ancient news that is being depicted as a recent discovery.

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9zSMsKcwk If you watch this at around the 41 minute mark it kind of compares dragons to the golden serpent, guarding treasures. The serpent and dragon does show up in every culture’s ancient writings it seems. The whole episode is very good and there is also a Part 2 and Part 3 on YouTube. So much history around dragons and snakes!

Thanks for the link! I started watching at 41 minutes and until the end. In my dream class, we started out with mythology across cultures and I definitely remember learning about Thoth.

1. Yes, it’s interesting to compare religions. I like what C.S. Lewis said about True Myth. I sometimes share this PDF that he wrote because I find it great as a Christian http://judithwolfe.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/files/2017/08/Myth-Became-Fact.pdf I appreciate the perennial wisdom the Samadhi videos get into as well.

1. The last two pages of the PDF are the best. He’s kind of wordy, but I’ve always liked him.

Thanks! downloaded it and will try to read it tomorrow.

7. A fun and creative take Lisa!
    ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Thank you, Cindy! I’m still trying to wrap my head around it.

1. You’re so welcome Lisa!
        All in good time .. like good wine!
        ๐Ÿ’–

8. rothpoetry says:

I love the dragon and all of its fractal parts! You have really challenged us today, Lisa. You did a fine job with this one.

Dwight, thank you so much. Can’t you just see that dragon swirling in the sky right now? ๐Ÿ™‚

1. rothpoetry says:

Draco is up there every night shooting fire and smoke at us! :>)

9. Badfinger (Max) says:

Wow… I don’t know how you word things the way you do…awesome

๐Ÿ™‚ Max, thank you. You are a wonderfully supportive person.

1. Badfinger (Max) says:

That one was amazing.

How wonderful

๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!

Youโ€™re welcome my friend

11. kittysverses says:

You’ve posed an interesting prompt, Li. Your poetry is magically worded, like the dragon. I enjoyed these lines :-
    “When down
    is up and up is down in forevers”
    Great take, Li. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kitty, thank you.

12. This is so cool, Li!โค๏ธ I was aiming for something on these lines but couldn’t come up with anything worthy.
    Thanks for the fantastic challenge.

Thanks much, Punam. I’m headed back to the poetry trail to read today’s linkups in a bit. I’m excited to see what others have written today.

1. My pleasure. I too am looking forward to the entries.

13. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

Yes, your refrain and poetic build in the piece is a fine illustration for your prompt. I was going to write on dragons too, but went with snake scales.

Glenn, I was heartily pleased with what you wrote about the snake scales. Also they often call dragons winged snakes… Thank you for your kind words on the poem โค

14. Nitin Lalit says:

This is a very creative take on the prompt. I especially loved these lines –
    When down
    is up and up is down in forevers
    in waterways below and above;
    from snowflakes to rainclouds and the
    recursive slurry they slink about in?

Thank you, Nitin. Just wanted to let you know that I read your new poem that you linked up and loved it, but again was unable to leave my comment. The comment box asks me to log in to WP, so I click on “log in” but it goes into a terminal log-in process and never logs me in ๐Ÿ˜ฆ My comment for it:
      Your poem reminds me of Rumi, love how the sustained thought flows down the page. It is probably just so.

1. Nitin Lalit says:

Thank you so much for your kind words! I think one way of commenting on my blog is simply entering your name and email id. That might work. If it doesnโ€™t, then the only way is to find making sense of everything in the WP search bar and comment. Itโ€™s a tedious process, I know. I really hope they fix this comment problem soon.

15. Xan says:

So much here to admire: the sneaky alliteration, the use of a mythical (?!) creature as metaphor, and this amazing line: ” Itโ€™s dragons all the way down”

Alexandra, thank you for your feedback and appreciate the kind words.

16. You’ve given me good reason to keep my eyes open for dragons. Armed with this insight, it shouldn’t take long. ๐Ÿ™‚