dVerse — Quadrille 160 — to a better place

of your faraway, home
where all are one,
where superfluous bodies
are given in service
to gods like you.
Departure day we sit
knee to knee, selfless circle,
sipping farewell punch.

top image: APOD: 2004 October 3 – Comet Hale Bopp and the North America Nebula

De Jackson (aka whimsygizmo) is today’s host for dVerse’ Quadrille Monday.  De says:
…make sure your piece contains some form of the word punch and comes in at exactly 44 words total.

1. whimsygizmo says:

Lisa, I love the alliteration in your first line, especially! And the calm acceptance in sipping farewell punch…

1. I like “faraway home, where all are one”. I wonder what that puch will taste like?

Thanks much, Mary. I wonder myself sometimes what it would taste like.

2. This sounds like a great way to leave for something better… a place somewhere like that sound so great.

Bjorn, I’m glad you see it that way 🙂 Thank you.

3. Oh, this sounds so good – but I’m not sure I trust anyone who claims to be a god. Maybe I’ve read too much dystopian sci-fi…

Sarah, this is based on the Heaven’s Gate cult that was linked to the Hale Boppe Comet. You’re so right, I am sure one should be leery of anyone making that claim. Thank you very much.

4. kim881 says:

I could do with some farewell punch, Lisa, to toast our late Queen.

Kim, not sure you want any of this particular batch… I will make you a tall frosted glass of cranberry, cherry, pomegranate, and a splash of orange juice with a bit of squirt, mixed on the rocks. I raise my glass to yours and toast to your late Queen.

5. I don’t know how it would have felt partaking that farewell punch but you really created that feeling of fraternity/sorority that cults have.

Punam, thank you very much.

6. Jim says:

Lisa, nice. I hope the visit you all were going to went well. Your poem reminded me of a time I went on a short work assignment at NASA, Huntsville, Alabama and tried to see an old friend who had moved there. The friend was out, but his son invited me to go to a party with him. It turned out to be in a big room where we all sat on the floor against the walls. Then around the room we’d take turns speaking, telling, or reading. Also around the room, besides lots of poems, were three bottles of wine that never went dry.

Jim, thank you. So happy this reminds you of a happy memory.

7. This was intriguing. I wondered about those superfluous bodies being given to a god. Gave me a shiver. Then I read the comments.

Jane, I’ve read and heard about too many of these cult leaders using charisma to sexually exploit members. I imagined this was one of the rationales they might use. Thanks for reading.

8. forestbather says:

Those short, sharp lines make for great, fast-paced reading…enjoyed that!

Ain, thank you! Hoping all is well with you.

9. Ron. says:

Cult, captured. Awesome stuff, Lisa. Thanks.

10. The galactic drama goes so well with the music!! It took me a minute to realize that punch is a doorway, haha! 🥂

Tricia, I love how you see it. Happy you enjoyed the music as well 🙂

11. Great photo. It has me wanting to disturb all the stars with a swift swoop of my hand. 😁

I understand why! Thanks, Gia 🙂

12. Gillena Cox says:

Nice one. The sipping of the punch. …easy acceptance.

Much💛love

Thanks, Gillena!

Humans are way too vulnerable to seeing what they want to see and hearing what they want to hear. (K)

Yes they are, K.

14. With everything that’s happening on our planet, the thought to leave it all behind and head to a new, presumably better world can be tempting. That said, I don’t think cults are the answer.

In total agreement with you, Christian.

I love your use of the word punch here Li.

Sadje, thank you!

You’re welcome Li

16. rothpoetry says:

I like your sci-fi story! I like going out on punch!

LOL thanks, Dwight!

17. Rob Kistner says:

No Lisa — don’t drink the kool aid! 😱

18. Badfinger (Max) says:

I like the sci-fi story line.

Thank you, Max. I’d like to get back to writing more stories. Maybe this winter.

19. The first line’s alliteration worked so well and the flow continues up to that farewell punch. Felt like a sci-fi prologue, Lisa!

Rosemarie, thank you! It may very well become one at some point.

1. that’s great. 🙂

20. Love the opening line – so chant-like. (Couldn’t open your video unfortunately.) Scary to think a bit of charisma is all it takes sometimes.

The fringe are looking and so is the charismatic leader, leading to unhealthy places… Thanks much, Marion. The song is “A Trip to the Fair” by Renaissance if you want to check it out. I’ll try to correct it on the post also, thanks for letting me know.

p.s. link embedded now so you can go to watch it on youtube if it doesn’t work. hope that helps!

1. Thank you Lisa. I found it on a search. I’m using a chrome book while we are travelling and it doesn’t always behave itself!

21. Raivenne says:

“where superfluous bodies / are given in service”
    “Departure day we sit / knee to knee, selfless circle,”

One part is minded of captured slaves stowed on being taken away from their gods to serve new ones.

Another part thinks of benevolent beings taking the worthy to finer shores among the stars.

The dichotomy of feelings is disconcerting.

Raivenne, thank you for sharing what you see in this poem. I’m glad you connected with it, even in a disconcerting way.

22. I love, “knee to knee, selfless circle”. Seems like they are buying into it.

Yes they have bought in all the way.