dVerse Haibun Monday on January 2023

Joel and M on Christmas 2022

Over the Christmas weekend we had our first big blizzard and I was snowed in until the day after. We gathered on the twenty-seventh. The grandbaby passed out gifts and watched as each was opened. At one point, she crawled into my lap and put her head on my shoulder, a first.

New Year’s Eve brought a concert of fireworks from the neighbors three hours before midnight. By the strike of the gong we were mid-thunderstorm that ended up melting all of the snow. There were still a few guns going off, but not as many as usual.

Now that the months-long human festivities have wound down, it is a good time to regard and listen to nature’s muted tones. It’s a time to read poetry and philosophy and to consider whether or not to lay a template down for twenty twenty-three.

January’s white
new page written with old pen
warm hearth fire crackles

top image:  younger son and his daughter on Christmas 2022, taken by daughter in-law

Kim is today’s host of dVerse’ Haibun Monday as we reconvene at the poets pub. Kim says:
This week, I would like you to write about your feelings towards this New Year and/or what you do in the first few days of January. Aim to write no more than three short, tight paragraphs, followed by a traditional haiku that includes reference to the season.

1. kim881 says:

I’ve been watching the news and have been shocked by scenes of blizzards in the US, Lisa. We have been very lucky here – so far. Our snow often comes closer to Easter. How lovely that you spent time with your granddaughter. How amazing that the thunderstorm melted all the snow. I love the haiku and I agree – It’s time to read poetry and philosophy!

What made the blizzards so deadly in some places is when people ignored the warnings to stay inside, got stranded, and abandoned their vehicles in the streets. When the plows tried to do their jobs they had a heck of a time. Emergency vehicles were getting stuck and couldn’t get to the medical emergencies. Glad you have been lucky with your weather. Happy New Year to You and Yours

1. kim881 says:

And you, Lisa!

2. Beautiful photo, I’m guessing of your sweet little grandbaby? 😊

I love that photo also, yes it is my son and sweet grandbaby, thank you 🙂

2. Mish says:

A sweet image of your grandbaby snuggled up to you. That was worth waiting for, I’m sure! I believe we shared the same horrible weather, Lisa. It’s bizarre the way some just can’t accept it and must travel, only to endanger themselves and others.

Mish, it was God’s grace made manifest. The weather does as it pleases and it was on a rampage that day for some places.

3. Yes it was a good holiday to stay at home I think, and it will be long remembered I think… I think we all need time for our plans.

Sorry things are so gloomy where you are.

4. sanaarizvi says:

This is absolutely stunning! I love the idea of listening to nature’s muted tones 🥰🥰

Thanks much, Sanaa ❤

5. Grace says:

A good time to: listen to nature’s muted tones. Love the prospects of writing on a new page with the old pen. Happy New Year!!!

Thanks much, Grace ❤

6. Ron. says:

Good time to be soaking up that crackling fire heat, eh? Enjoyed your haibun Lisa. Thanks

Thanks, Ron. Glad you enjoyed it.

7. That winter storm surely looked frightening, Lisa. It repeatedly made the evening news in Germany where I spent Christmas with my parents, as you know. I’m glad you could still spend some time with your family. The grandbaby must have been the highlight! 🙂

It truly is amazing the rain washed it all away. Spending time with the grandbaby is like going back in time to when my kids were newborns and toddlers. God is merciful and kind.

8. rothpoetry says:

A beautiful Haibun Lisa. Sounds like a fun family time. Snow and rain. Rain trumps snow! It was almost seventy here today!

Thanks much, Dwight. It’s pouring rain here right now but only 40.

I love that photo.
    We missed the snow, but my neighbors had plenty of fireworks too. No guns though (I think…)
    Glad you got family time! (K)

I do also, K. It’s a keeper. It’s heavy rain at this moment which is so strange. It’s 40 and hoping the rain doesn’t freeze later.

We’re back in the dismal days again too. Every time the sun shows up it makes me so happy!

10. K.Hartless says:

A beautiful share. The song, the old pen. You writing always speaks to me.

K, so glad my writing connects with you ❤

11. lovely share of your words and precious family Lisa! Love the song too~!
    ❤️

Thanks much, Cindy. Much appreciated ❤

1. Always a pleasure!
        💗

I love your description of your granddaughter passing out gifts and then snuggling with you. An adorable picture too.

Sadje one of the happiest days of my life.

I know the feeling 😍🥹🤩

Sadje, I am glad you do. I bet your grandkids adore you.

At least one of them does. I was the most present grandma in his almost 13 years. The rest have equal love for their grandparents.

13. M Jay Dixit says:

Aw, the first para is so cute. Happy new year, to you and your loved ones, Lisa 🙂

Jay, many blessings are raining down right now. Thanks much, hope the new year is treating you well.

14. It’s so good to be able to take time to reflect. It seems increasingly hard to do. That’s a gorgeous photograph – the little one leading the way into a new adventure, the daddy right there just in case, but letting the adventure happen.

Sarah, thanks for your kind and gentle thoughts ❤

15. Yes. Warm hearth and warm heart.

Glad you got the connection, Ken. Thanks.

16. Lisa, this haibun and the haiku… it’s so perfect: “…new page written with old pen…” this is such a great depiction of life starting anew. What a great family celebration. Happy New Year!

Colleen, many thanks for your kind words.

1. You’re so welcome, Lisa.

17. This is so beautiful Lisa!

Thanks much, Linda ❤

18. We had similar weather in New England, can’t keep the snow for the rain.
    I loved your haiku, especially the second line.

D, the weather has a mind of its own doesn’t it. Thank you very much.

19. Peaceful reflection. A great way to start anything. Happy 2023!

Susan, thank you very much. Was really feeling it as I wrote it.

20. Badfinger (Max) says:

Glad you had a nice Christmas Lisa.

Thank you, Max. Hoping you had a good one. Do you still have your houseguest?

1. Badfinger (Max) says:

No she left today…we are SO SO grateful that she didn’t catch what we had! Imagine getting on a plane for 10 hours or whatever with a stomach virus…she never got it…at least yet.

We all had a good time while she was here. I’m glad you did with your visit.

Oh so good she didn’t get the stomach virus on a plane! God was merciful to her.

Have you figured out what series I’m about to start watching tonight? Hint: one of two you mentioned covering on your blog.

1. Badfinger (Max) says:

Oh…I know the two…lets try Star Trek?

1. Badfinger (Max) says:

COOL!!!!!!!! You inspired me to work on it more! I’m watching more this weekend also. You helped me make up my mind. Thanks for going along with it! It helps motivate me knowing at least one person will know what I’m talking about!

I watched the first 3 last night. It’s like going back in a time machine.

1. Badfinger (Max) says:

I know…I love it. I watched the first two and I’m making a template.

So happy you are doing it.

2. Badfinger (Max) says:

I’m posting something tomorrow related to Star Trek in a funny way…I’m going to announce it and see how many people are receptive but I don’t care…I’m doing it regardless.
                      I do get tired of just songs everyday.

It’s nice to change it up from time to time.

21. Hope your weather becomes less severe. I like the idea of a template for 2023. I can’t even think that far!

Sara, all of that snow melted. Your hope must have worked 🙂

1. See? I knew I could conjure up a meltdown.