Townes VanZandt –Magic of the Ordinary

townes

image link

“Sorrow and solitude, these are the precious things

And the only words that are worth remembering.”

~ Townes Van Zandt

“I don’t envision a long life for myself.

Like, I think my life will run out before my work does, y’know?

I’ve designed it that way.”

~ Townes Van Zandt

Townes started out like many children, wearing tiny cowboy outfits

and getting pulled by ponies in carts. OK I guess he didn’t

start out like many children. He was the child of rich

oil parents. He led a normal childhood through

school, until sent to boarding school far away

from home for 2 years. Pre-law at college

until guitar lifestyle won. Townes was

carted away to a place where his

brain was fried like an egg.

In later years his mother

lamented giving her

son scrambled eggs.

Townes never returned home.

Instead he beat the trails of hooch, coke,

and horse on the music circuit. Compulsive

penury his companion. He was loved by a passel

of women. Songs sprouted like spores from his lungs.

He got sick and fell into codeine-induced dreams where he sang

a masterpiece and wrote it down*. The magic came again when he

was stranded 60 miles out of a Texas town for 3 days, when followers of

Billy Graham and The Maharishi took all the hotel rooms**. Another

time he was given songs out in the woods by a Tennessee river.***

Townes, holy man, on a journey of solitude in the crowd. He

gave up home, family, comforts, worldly goods. He traded

them for a portal to magical music. He never became

famous; walked among the most ordinary of people.

He knew he wasn’t long for this world. He could

have been a star. He didn’t want that.

Townes wanted to be real, and that

he was. At 52, he put on his

Flyin Shoes. Goodnight.

Peace. See you.

*”If I Needed You”

**”Pancho & Lefty”

***Flyin Shoes

Word of the Day Challenge is masterpiece.

Fandango One-Word Challenge is magical

1. Fandango says:

Sad to say that I’d never heard of him before.

I can’t remember where I first heard of him.

2. bg says:

hey there Ms Jadeli, great taste in singer/songwriter. i luvs me some vanzandt as well. kindest regards bg 🙂😎🙂

glad that you know him and love him. he’s someone once known never forgotten. i’ve watched a few documentaries on him, listened to radio interviews, read essays on him, listened to so much of his music, and i honestly believe he knew exactly what he was doing. either that or he was completely nuts after his electroshock treatments. maybe we’ll never know. i tend to believe the first theory.

3. bg says:

i’d go with both theories 🙂 but i believe we are all nuts it’s just how deep we bury our nutty ness the varies. 🙂😎🙂

100% in agreement with you there. mine has just a bare dusting of earth on it 🙂 have a good night

4. TownesVZ: A genuine voice and relevant song writing !

5. I had not heard of him either but I really enjoyed your post and poem. Thanks for sharing 🙂💕💕

I’m glad you know now 🙂 Thank you Christine.

6. Hey Li,

Hope you are well, l have tagged you for 321 Quote Me – Topic – Communication

7. I just heard one of his songs yesterday for the first time… Someone commented on YouTube that the tallest man on earth sold cover one of his songs (he was covering nick drake) so I went and listened to a few of his tracks. An authentic artist I would say

not sure what you mean in the first part of what you are saying. Yes, he marched to the beat of a different drummer that’s for sure.

1. Oh just that an artist called the ‘tallest man on earth’ was asked to cover one of Townes Van Zandt’s songs. So I went and had a listen to his music..

8. Next time we get together. Pete and I will let ya know. You are in the club. Good stuff TT