Weeping Willow

Winter’s ice cubes cling,

infesting willow branches

that twist, snap, and fall.

A picture can’t do this justice.  The tree is massive and so is the limb that fell.

20190207_115727

Below are a couple photos of the pine tree also in the yard.  Other parts of the country are used to ice storms, but we aren’t.  Neither are our trees.  So many had branches snap off.  There was no wind today.  Tonight is a brisk wind.  More trees will probably be falling.

UPDATE 2/8/19:

After reading some comments about the willow (thanks Frank Hubeny & Jim Adams) , I have been inspired to write another haiku:

Winter willow weeps

ice tears at the loss

of her now cracked limb.

Sorry that this graceful tree lost a limb.

me too Sadje 😦

2. That’s quite traumatic, both for the trees and for you! The poem says it well.

Thank you, Petru. I see the extreme weather swings and how they affect nature, and you are right I’m part of that nature, and it makes me sad.

3. pvcann says:

Yes the competing powers of nature, the weight of ice and force of limbs that fall. Always feel grief for trees.

4. Frank Hubeny says:

Nice description of those trees weeping in the ice storm.

Thank you Frank.

5. iScriblr says:

Oh my, that’s scary!

6. Wow! Those are lovely photos. Good writing too. Weeping Willow trees are my favorite. Thanks for sharing!

7. badfinger20 says:

A Weeping Willow is my favorite tree. I bought one a couple of years ago and it’s now in our front yard…this is sad.

Yes, these are big old trees that have been here for a long time. In my old house in the city I had huge oaks to watch over me. Now it is the willows. Glad to hear they are your favorite tree.

1. badfinger20 says:

Something about them I just love. You just cannot plant them around any water pipes…
        We are surrounded by trees also.

They make a nice shield from the road if you don’t clip the strands, but if you don’t clip them, it’s tough mowing the lawn! I clip them now.

1. badfinger20 says:

Thanks for the tip… mine is only around 8 ft tall now… but it will get there

8. RhScribbles says:

So beautifully destructive.

9. sanaarizvi says:

My heart weeps along with the willows 😦

10. Did you know that weeping willows got their name because rain looks like tears when it’s dripping off the branches.

No Jim I didn’t know that. I think I’m going to write another haiku about frozen tears…

1. I have already written about a willow fable for Song Lyric Sunday where I am writing about the Johnny Cash song Big River.

very neat. looking forward to reading it. catching up on some of your posts right now. yesterday was a bad day for blogging and everything else…

11. Yes with the power outage and the tree limb almost crashing into your house.

12. The power of nature.

13. Grace says:

Such a beauty and a force to be reckoned with. That must have been a strong wind.

Grace, there was no wind. The weight of the ice basically pulled it down until it twisted and cracked. There was quite a rumble when it hit the ground.

14. Mish says:

Wow..this willow has reason to weep. I can relate to the scene. Many humongous trees in my yard. The freezing rain hits us each year at least a couple times.

Freezing rain that sticks to the trees is way worse than snow 😦 The snow usually slides off when the branch dips low enough.

1. Mish says:

Exactly! Not a fan of freezing rain, especially if I’m expected to drive to work in it. Stay warm!

15. The willow is such an interesting tree… in many ways in contrast to the oak it grows fast and will never last… to me an oak spans generations, whereas a willow hardly last a human life.

Bjorn did you see the size of the willow? I think it took awhile to get that size, but I’ve only been in this house since 2011. Its wood is weak compared to the oak for sure.

1. Willows grow so very fast compared to oaks… but it was an impressive tree…

I was surrounded by giant oaks at my old house and really didn’t want to leave them. Most got cut down when I left 😦 People don’t realize how valuable trees are to our very lives.