Saturday Mix – Mad About Metaphor, 25 May 2019 — Coffee Talk

on

saturday mix with sarah

My first job aside from babysitting was at 17 years old, in a small, family-owned bakery on a small-town main street. One half of the storefront had the baked goods cases and built-in cabinets (where the back was open to the back, so bread could be slid in from there.) The other half of the storefront was a counter with seats and some small tables near the large plate glass window.

Every afternoon, they started filing in, the farmers, to take up their places at the tables and at the counter, to talk about farming. One of my jobs was to keep their cups filled and not interrupt their conversations about crops, weather, equipment, etc. They never got loud, and they were always polite to a young, shy 17 year-old who kept their coffee cups full.

Old farmers need
coffee talk; birds of a feather,
flocking together.

Sarah is the host of Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie’s Saturday Mix.  Sarah says:
This week we are dipping our toes into the pool of METAPHOR. Our challenge is all about the use of metaphor in our writing. You will need to use the metaphor provided in your response – which can be poetry or prose.
Our metaphor this week is:
– Birds of a feather flock together.
Good luck with your ‘Mad About Metaphor’ task – I can’t wait to see what you come up with! Don’t forget to tag ‘Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie’, ‘Saturday Mix’, and hashtag #MAM.

1. I imagine that your tips were not all that great.

Non-existent, or as minimal as to be not remembered. I’m guessing I would have had to flirt with them, or maybe they were penny-pinchers? I made $1.50/hour at that time.

2. weejars says:

Delightful tale made into Haibun. Thanks for joining in the Saturday Mix 😊

Thanks Sarah, my pleasure 🙂

3. Jules says:

Having worked in a small coffee lunch place for the breakfast (and lunch shifts) – I can relate to keeping those coffee cups filled.
    I like watching a few of the cooking shows where the hosts actually live on farms…

Oh, to be 17 again… but then, I’m happy where I’m at right now 🙂

At 17, those old grizzled farmers scared the bejeezus out of me.

1. Jules says:

Yeah I had some relatives that I didn’t want to be left in the same room with…