Dark Angel for earthweal

At age of five became I blind
Bad nerves to blame that made me scream
Cursed I our God for act unkind
Yet all, my friend, ’twas not as seemed

The act upon heaped thoughts unkind
Turned out to have a brighter theme
Through haunts did stray the other five
To caves of dreams with golden seams

Each night I searched through halls of brine
To find fine gleams of mortal schemes
Of mine and of which beasts aligned
To trade for rank in Rule’s regime

I sit here now, a wunderkind
Thick robe of silk, in high esteem
Commander of foul masterminds
From damaged to dark Seraphim

image:  “The Dowager Empress Cixi” (Tzu Hsi) by Hubert Vos.

Reblog of a poem written awhile back with Empress Dowager Cixi in mind.  Read more about her here.

Brendan is today’s host of earthweal. Brendan says:
I think that is something to celebrate, and why I’m calling this challenge A FEAST OF EARTH FOOLS. Humantide’s passing is upon us: the doors are opening for the extinct and the marginalized to enter our walled city and turn things upside down. For a poem, at least.

1. sometimes good follows bad

then bad follows good

2. Frank Hubeny says:

I like your description of the dark angel. Very melodic. And the last line with “damaged to dark”.

Thank you, Frank, for reading and your comments.

3. You rocked the prompt. Your fiction is so well drawn, it feels true. Even the cadence and rhythm feel like a translation from Mandarin. The picture is perfect, and helps perpetuate reality.

Glenn thank you so much. I appreciate your feedback and glad it resonated for you.

4. Bryan Ens says:

This poem has a very dark feel to it, which hightens the sense of mystery. Nicely done!

Thank you very much, Bryan. It is rather mysterious.

5. robtkistner says:

That was haunting Lisa. I stumbled a bit at first, but I caught on the Yoda-esque flow, and took off from there.

🙂 So glad you “got” it. It is rather haunting.
      Especially when I went looking for a picture and that one jumped out at me, then read about her. Maybe this is her story, and the blindness is a metaphor? I don’t rule anything out in this strange, mysterious world we live in.

6. I liked the mystery in your poem and you got a great rhythm going. Read that piece about the empress in the photo. The writer has a very strange idea of feminism—smoking a pipe and having wet nurses express their breast milk for her tea is feminist?

Thank you Jane. I didn’t read the whole article. Maybe for that time it was feminist?

1. I’d have screamed, anachronism. Lots of women smoked pipes throughout history. Just because the writer of the article didn’t know that she assumes this empress must have been making a point. As for the breast milk, that is just gross. She sounds like an interesting woman. It must have been hard to be taken seriously as a woman in China at that time, as everywhere else come to that…

She went a long way from where she started and that’s what counts in my book.

1. True. Shows determination if nothing else 🙂

7. selizabryangmailcom says:

The poetry matches the subject’s elaborate clothing and sort of mirrors the shuttered expression that leaves us wondering….what’s going on in that world……

I appreciate your thoughtful comment. Thank you!

8. Jade- a marvelously mysterious poem, as ornate as her clothes!

I too thought it was a real story. The dark tone echoes the physical blindness, and the larger blindnesses of the human mind.(K)

Insightful comment, Kerfe, thank you. You just never know how this cosmos works sometimes, maybe it is a real story. I hope you know what I mean.