Coloring Club Plus — 7/18/19

on

July 18

July 18a

From wikipedia:
Like Omigod! The 80s Pop Culture Box (Totally) is a seven-disc, 142-track box set of popular music hits of the 1980s. Released by Rhino Records in 2002. Original release sets had a 3D rubber cover. Later releases had a flat, printed cover.

Like Omigod! includes a 90-page booklet of cultural comment, a timeline for the decade, and liner notes for the tracks included in the set… [the set from the L does not include the booklet] The tracks tend to be from the lesser-known artists who were one-hit wonders, although music from the best-selling artists of the era are also included. In addition, many of the 1980s musical styles—rock, pop, country pop, new wave, funk, disco and rhythm and blues—are represented. A majority of the tracks on the first 5½ discs focus on 1980–1985, while the remaining tracks cover the period of 1986–1989.

With seven discs to work with here, you can expect the next week’s songs to be from this set. Today’s selection is Ah! Leah! by Donnie Iris. I like the beat, the melody, the (minimal, oft-repeated) lyrics, and the passion of this song of two lovers who are doomed to end but can’t stay away from each other.

from wikipedia:
“Ah! Leah!” is a song by Mark Avsec and American rock musician Donnie Iris from his 1980 album Back on the Streets. The song was released as a single in late 1980 and reached number 29 on the US Billboard Hot 100, 22 on the Cash Box Top 100, and 19 on the US Billboard Top Tracks chart. The song is widely considered to be Iris’ signature song and was most popular in Canada, where it became a Top 10 hit. A full complement of eight musicians appeared in the early live performances of the song, including lead singer Iris, a drummer, three guitar players, one keyboardist and at least two backing vocalists, one female and one male.

Leah
It’s been a long, long time
You’re such a sight
You’re looking better than a body has a right to
Don’t you know we’re playing with the fire
But we can stop this burning desire
Leah

Here we go again
Is it ever gonna end?
Here we go again

I see your lips
And I wonder who’s been kissing them
I never knew how badly I was missing them
We both know we’re never going to make it
But when we touch
We never have to fake it
Leah

Here we go again
Is it ever gonna end?
Here we go again
Ah! Leah!
We ain’t learned our lesson yet

Baby, it’s no good
We’re just asking for trouble
I can touch you
But I don’t know how to love you

It ain’t no use
We’re headed for disaster
Our minds said no
But our hearts were talking faster
Leah

Here we go again
Here we go again
Leah, Leah, Leah
Here we go again

Leah
We’re never, ever, ever gonna make it, yeah
Here we go again
Ah! Leah!
We’re never gonna make it

Songwriters: Donnie Ierace (Iris) / Mark Avsec

1. hanspostcard says:

That’s a wonderful box set- lots of great music inside. Iris is a local Pittsburgh legend!

I know his name came up a few months ago. So cool Pittsburgh has him as their legend.

1. hanspostcard says:

I think he did a concert or two recently- he has to be mid 70’s- the hits came kind of late for him.

2. badfinger20 says:

Always liked this song…MTV would play it a lot and that is where I heard it first…He had some good songs.

These 7 discs are all pop songs for the most part but there are other genres in there too. This is a good one. The other two I considered were Video Killed the Radio Star and Cars by Gary Numan, but! I checked out your new song database and see you have covered those two already. It’s already coming in handy 🙂

1. badfinger20 says:

Oh, I love the Buggles…both of those songs I like…
        Thanks It helps me not to double post! That is the reason I did it…I double posted one song last Friday…”But It’s Alright” I wont do it again.

I didn’t notice it was a repeat.

1. badfinger20 says:

It was in January…but that was the only one I’ve ever done…I even used the same picture but had more info on the old one lol…I deleted the old one.

2. badfinger20 says:

You cover them! They are great songs. Hans and I cross songs also.

disc 1 is done. disc 2 tonight and i will push forward with my favorite from it even if you’ve already covered it, how does that sound?

1. badfinger20 says:

That sounds great! Heck we all do the same songs…I just didn’t want to do the same one I already did… I have one tomorrow that might be new to a lot of people hopefully….new/old

Yes we do because for the most part our musical tastes run along similar lines, it’s unavoidable 🙂 Looking forward to tomorrow’s song.

1. badfinger20 says:

I love seeing Hans, yours, and everyones take on different ones. We have great tastes! lol