dVerse — Prosery #3 — Juvie

Lying supine in the back of the ambulance, Marga smiled as she approached her region’s Rejuvenation Center. Juvie, as it was affectionately called, had been the final destination for most for almost 100 years now.

Rolled out on the gurney with her entourage of IV tubes and bottles, Marga caught a glimpse of sky for the last time with her cataract-filmed eyes.

Cheerful technicians lifted Marga’s now-gaunt frame and laid her on the rolling surgical table. Within minutes the sedative was added to the IV mixture and she lost consciousness.

The motto of Juvie was, “You will love again the stranger who was your self.”

Marga would soon walk out with her new ideal body. Her mind would continue, but all trauma would be erased through a process called mental chelation.

Music and poetry had become history but were still enjoyed to some extent.

[144 words]

Kim is today’s host of dVerse.  Kim says:
The special thing about Prosery is that we give you a complete line from a poem, which must be included somewhere in your story, within the 144-word limit.  For the third Prosery, I’d like you to write a story that includes the following line from ‘Love After Love’, a poem by Derek Walcott:

You will love again the stranger who was your self’.

Thanks Len. To me, this is a horror story with the addition of the last line.

Li, why don’t you write more on this! A glimpse of bright future. Great story

🙂 Thanks Sadje!

2. Candace says:

a peek into the future, perhaps

The day is coming, if humankind doesn’t kill itself off first.

3. Don’t I wish. It’s so hard to have a young mind in an old body and not be able to find the energy to do what you want. But then again, I do love where I am in life and wouldn’t want to let go of any thing I’ve learned along the way.

As there is no such thing as a free ride, I wonder if the price of the new body (humankinds’ ability to create new poetry and music) is worth it? I think not. I also put “most” people choose the centers, as there will be some who choose the natural path to keep the humanity of humankind alive.

4. kim881 says:

I believe that so far, we’ve all hit the 144 word target exactly – well done, Jade. I like the way you’ve played around with the word ‘juvie’, Jade! I thought at first that you’d written about a juvenile delinquent, but your prosery has a hint of science fiction. I wouldn’t like to live in a world with Rejuvenation Centres and where music and poetry were history.

Yes we have. Thank you very much, I wouldn’t either.

5. An excellent dystopian story Lisa. Bravo!

Thanks Linda!

6. gillena cox says:

My applause! Great story
    Happy Monday

Much❤✏❤love

7. I loved the reincarnation of Marga. Wonderful Lisa 🙂💕l

Thanks Christine 🙂

8. Everything has a cost … as that last line duly stated …
    If I have to give up music and poetry, I am not sure I’ll take the juvie … but then again, I know many who would. …
    Well done!

Yes it does and I share your dilemma. By the time I get to a place where I’ll have to choose hopefully I’ll have it sorted. Thank you very much for your comment and glad you liked it, Na’ama.

1. 🙂 Live is all about difficult choices, ain’t it? Comes to reason that death (or rejuvination, or the cost thereof) would be about it, too … 😉

9. Beverly Crawford says:

What a fascinating tale. Great write.

Thank you, Beverly, glad you found it fascinating.

10. kanzensakura says:

Interesting! You did a great write with a dystopian twist to it. Bravo!

Thank you very much, Toni!

11. rivrvlogr says:

Hopefully they will have worked out that poetry aspect when it’s my time!

12. I am going to go read about mental chelation. See if they sell it at Walgreen’s.

🙂 Let me know what you find out.

13. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

Dystopian, indeed–a new body, a fresh start, but a memory wipe; I’d pass on it. I already believe in reincarnation, which is the Zen version of this Sci-Fi beauty–1984 + plus I-ROBOT, with a touch of SOLYENT GREEN.

🙂 Thanks for your entertaining comment.

Always those trade offs…(K)

15. Interesting story with hope for rejuvenation.

Thank you, Astrid.

16. Reena Saxena says:

Great to have a flawless body and painless mind … once again. No wonder she has lived for 100+ years.

Thank you for reading and your comment, Reena.

17. lillian says:

oh my!!!! Fantasy prose…or a gentle science fiction genre? But I want to learn what she does next!!!

Lillian thanks and glad you enjoyed it. There are a lot of places this story could go…

18. I do love this story but it made” me think of “Never let me go” which describe the spare part clones that were used to make this possible…

Bjorn is that a book? A movie? I just watched a Robert Rodriguez movie, “Alita: Battle Angel” which I think is based on manga, where all parts of the androids can be replaced except for their brain and spinal cord. Humans can have some/most of themselves replaced with bionics.

1. It’s a book by Kazuo Ishiguro (also a film that I have never seen)… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Let_Me_Go_(novel)

The book is so much worth reading.

I’ll check it out once I finish the book I”m on. I love science fiction and dystopian themes.

19. Sounds like the beginning of a dystopian tale… Great write!

Thank you Frank! I may end up developing it.

20. Something about this reminds me of that movie The Sunshine of the Eternal Spotless Mind. The things you have to lose to be something/someone else. It’s dystopian and yet haunting.

Thank you for your comment, Sascha. I know Jim Carrey is in it but don’t think I’ve seen it. Is it worth a watch?

1. I liked it. It’s not a comedy. It’s about what happens if you fall in love and the relationship goes south but there’s a way to have all memories of that relationship eradicated. It’s actually pretty thoughtful. Kate Ainsley is in it too.

Ah ok, thanks for the synopsis. Might be able to get it from the library 🙂