Salsa Mexicana Cocida

I decided to try one of Irene’s delicious recipes.  Irene’s blog is My Slice of Mexico.  The recipe I chose to make is Salsa Mexicana Cocida.  I had about a dozen ripened and ripening tomatoes from the two plants that are off-the-charts prolific with large flavorful fruit.  (The other plants I started from seed from the seed bank have yet to see a red one.) Unless I wanted to haul all of the canning equipment in from the garage, I had to make something from them.

For anyone who likes tomatoes, this photo is probably making you drool:

20190829_165935

A close-up of these GORGEOUS luscious beauties.  As you can see they aren’t crammed full of seeds either.  The flavor is SO much better than anything you can find at the grocery store (except organic ones).

20190829_165943

This is the salsa, hot off of the stovetop.

20190829_19252020190829_192532

It has since cooled off and I ate some warm salsa with tortilla chips.  This salsa is delicious and so easy to make.  Thank you, Irene, for this and your many other recipes!

I am researching how to freeze it, as there is a giant bowl of it. Thickening it up with tomato paste or cooking the extra fluid out are 2 suggestions. I don’t want to cook it down, so…

1. Irene’s recipes are really good! This looks delicious!

2. Janet says:

Yum… Looks and sounds delicious! I love salsa!

It’s very tasty 🙂

I second that yum! (K)

I’d push some through the screen to you if I could.

4. I am having cravings for tomatoes – looks yum!

These are juicy and delicious!

5. I wish someone could make salsa without onions.

I’m sure someone could. You might have to add something else to add flavor to it, but you could.

6. Lael-Heart says:

Oooooh yeah!
    I have chips and am coming over.
    Ha ha
    You got a good haul of tomatoes, wow!

I would gladly share the salsa with you. Those tomatoes are a drop in the bucket of what’s still on the vines. This year has been off the hook good for growing EVERYTHING including weeds.

1. Lael-Heart says:

WOW! That’s so awesome!
        HaaHaa , Those bloody weeds. I have the same problem. I’ve started growing mint. So far it blocks out most of the weeds where I’ve planted it AND its useful. Not that I use it much but it just feels better than weeds,lol

Lael, dry the mint and use it for tea!!!!!!

1. Lael-Heart says:

I do love tea….!

It’s wonderful for an upset stomach.

7. iScriblr says:

Yummylicious! 🙂

8. Irene says:

Wow, those tomatoes sure look great! Thank you so much both for trying my recipe and for sharing your results, MsJadeLi! it really makes my day to learn that my recipes are helpful. Let me know if you figured out the freezing part; I think the best way to preserve this sauce is canning, though you would have to fetch that equipment from the garage after all. Eating that sauce warm is a real pleasure, isn’t it?

To JIm@newepicauthor: I will work on your onion-less request soon, stay tuned …

I need to find the tag on those tomatoes because they are so good every step of the way, from growth to cooking to taste. Thanks again for your recipe 🙂 I just put the extra in zip lok bags and hoping they thaw out ok, but after reading what you said maybe they won’t. With all of the ones still on the vines I will be bringing my canner equipment and jars in. Yes, eating the sauce warm was wonderful!