#SLS — Baby It’s You by Smith

Jim Adams is the music-loving host of Song Lyric Sunday.  Jim says:
I am sure that it will be easy to find a song for this week’s prompt being Baby.

Here are the “rules”:
• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not. If it does not fit, then please explain why you chose this song.
• Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due.
• Make sure you also credit the singer/band and if you desire you can provide a link to where you found the lyrics.
• Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song.
• Ping back to this post or place your link in the comments section below.
• Read at least one other person’s blog, so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process.
• Feel free to suggest future prompts.
• Have fun and enjoy the music.

Smith, with a link to Billboard article from 3/4/16 saying McCormick passed away that week from cancer

Baby It’s You” is a song written by Burt Bacharach (music), Luther Dixon (credited as Barney Williams), and Mack David (lyrics). It was recorded by the Shirelles and the Beatles, and became hits for both. The highest-charting version of “Baby It’s You” was by the band Smith, who took the song to number five on the US charts in 1969.

Smith personnel:
Gayle McCormick – lead vocals
Larry Moss – organ
Jerry Carter – bass
Robert Evans – drums
John Horrigan – drums
Rich Cliburn – lead guitar
Alan Parker – guitar

Smith’s version appeared on their debut album, A Group Called Smith. The single was released on Dunhill 4206 in 1969. It was their first and most successful release. This version alters the traditional vocal arrangement as performed by the Shirelles and the Beatles in favor of a more belted, soulful vocal. The single hit #5 on the Billboard Hot 100. The Smith version was used in Quentin Tarantino’s Death Proof.

Looking at the tracks on their debut album, they are pretty much all covers of songs that were hits by others. One of the reasons I chose this version is that I remember it as part of the soundtrack of one of my favorite Quentin Tarantino movies, “Death Proof.” I will include the video by Smith and also a clip of Death Proof where it is playing.

Lyrics are from The Beatles’ version of the song.

Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la
Sha-la-la-la-la-la-la
Sha-la-la-la-la

It’s not the way you smile that touched my heart
(Sha-la-la-la-la)
It’s not the way you kiss that tears my apart

But, oh, many many many nights go by
I sit alone at home and cry over you
What can I do, can’t help myself
‘Cause, baby, it’s you (sha-la-la-la-la-la-la)
Baby, it’s you (sha-la-la-la-la-la-la)
(Sha-la-la-la-la)

You should hear what they say about you (cheat, cheat)
(Sha-la-la-la-la)
They say, they say you never never ever been true (cheat, cheat)

Wo ho, it doesn’t matter what they say
I know I’m gonna love you any old way
What can I do, then it’s true
Don’t want nobody, nobody
‘Cause, baby, it’s you (sha-la-la-la-la-la-la)
Baby, it’s you (sha-la-la-la-la-la-la)

Wo ho, it doesn’t matter what they say
I know I’m gonna love you any old way
What can I do, then it’s true
Don’t want nobody, nobody
‘Cause, baby, it’s you (sha-la-la-la-la-la-la)
Baby, it’s you (sha-la-la-la-la-la-la)
Don’t leave me all alone (sha-la-la-la-la-la-la)
Come on home (sha-la-la-la-la-la-la)
Songwriters: Burt F. Bacharach / Mack David / Barney Williams

1. A total hippie scene here with this song, love their outfits. I never saw Death Proof, but I just looked it up and it is from 2007.

Death Proof is a masterpiece and a feminist manifesto! Tarantino is my hero for what he’s done for female empowerment.

2. Thanks for both videos Lisa! Yes, as Jim said, a total hippie scene! It was fun 🙂 I loved the clip from Death Proof and I liked that version a lot. I never saw the movie though. Great choice for the Baby theme 💕

So glad you liked them, Christine. Groovy!

3. freefallin14 says:

I love this song! I’m going to have to look this movie up. I never heard of it before. Great choice.

Have you seen any Tarantino movies? There are some DISTURBING scenes in it, just beware. Thanks Ricky, glad you like the song. He gets some hot women starring in his movies.

4. Fandango says:

Interesting. I remember the Shirelles original and Beatles cover, but I’d never heard the Smith version. Never saw “Death Proof” either.

I’m glad to introduce you to Smith’s version. “Death Proof” is worth a watch, but there are a few disturbing scenes in it, so be forewarned.

I did not know this was a Bacharach song. Every version I know is fine in its own way. (K)

I didn’t either and agreed each is good in its own way.

6. ghostmmnc says:

ooooh good song – hadn’t heard that one in a long time. I’ve never seen the movie, but sounds good and I do like Tarantino’s movies a lot. 🙂

Oh man, Barbara, if you like Tarantino and haven’t seen Death Proof, you gotta see it. When it first came out in theaters it was called a Grindhouse Double Feature. The first movie was Planet Terror, directed Robert Rodriguez, but Tarantino had a small role in it. It was also excellent! Then came Death Proof.

1. ghostmmnc says:

I’ll have to keep an eye out for this one. 🙂

7. badfinger20 says:

This is one of my favorite versions of the song.

8. Nice song, but I feel weird that I don’t remember it…sung by anyone! 😳 My mind is going, huh? 😄

9. Great choice — I love Gayle.