My heritage, as it has been told to me, is English, Irish, and German, with some Native American from Canada heritage on my maternal grandma’s side. I appreciate the amalgamation and admire each of my ancestors’ tribes in their own way. That said, I identify most closely with my Irish heritage. There is something about the spirit of the Irish culture that draws me, whether it is their strength-through-adversity, their music, their connection with the water ways, their myths, textiles, and alcohol quality.

Hans of Hanspostcard/slicethelife has written an excellent post about a SiriusXM channel devoted to Irish music. With his permission, I am re-blogging it to Tao Talk.

Celtic Crush Sunday- “The Band Played Waltzing Matilda”- Liam Clancy. One spring Saturday ten years ago my wife and I were on a day trip. We had XM radio and I landed on something that surely sounded different from everything else. There was a man talking in an Irish accent and then he played a […]

via CELTIC CRUSH SUNDAY- “THE BAND PLAYED WALTZING MATILDA”- LIAM CLANCY — slicethelife

1. Regine Karpel says:

Love it.

2. pvcann says:

Another fave, naturally so. The whole flag waving, patriot schtick worries me as the human genome project clearly shows, we don’t have a backyard, we’re from everywhere. My heritage is Irish, English (therefore saxon, norse, celt, norman etc), dutch, french, and so on. It makes a nonsense of patriotism and nationalism, in my humble view, we’re a global family with local flavours 🙂

Paul, were you born in the British Isles? Or born in Australia? Just curious. Yes we are a “global family with local flavours” (well-said!)

1. pvcann says:

I was born in Nottinghamshire and my parents took me at 8 on an adventure to Australia 🙂

Aha! Is that Nottinghamshire the one in the story of Robin Hood? How clearly do you remember your birthplace?

1. pvcann says:

The one and only indeed 🙂

Now I see where you got it from 😉