dVerse — haibun Monday — Spring

Related image

Last week the library offered a free presentation on essential oils where every participant walked away with a spritzer bottle with a tea tree oil, lavender, and orange room freshener. I’ve carried the bottle with me from room to room and into the car. I spritzed my pillow, sheets, and heating pad with it as an add-in to my bedtime ritual.

Floral broom sweeps clean
With straws from summer harvest —
Spring’s promises bloom.

Image result for caterpillar on pavement

Yesterday, the kids and I walked the paths at the Blandford Nature Center. They continue to expand and now have a new building, boot huts made from shipping containers for childrens’ programs, a large wigwam, and a sugar hut. There are walking trails mostly still too snowy, but we were able to see the enclosures for the rescued barn owl, red-tailed hawk, and albino mink. The road leading in was gated as it is closed in winter. We saw several worms and caterpillars traveling on the sunny concrete.

Spring caterpillars
ride free on a helping hand –
land gently; green leaves.

Frank J. Tassone is today’s host of dVerse.  Frank says:
Let’s put a little spring into our step today, shall we? Let’s spring into action.

1st image link here
2n image link here

1. I really love how you tied the sense of spring to the scents (though bottled)

Thanks, Bjorn, essential oils have a miraculous power to lift mood.

2. Gina says:

lovely! spring in a bottle following your steps and tiny steps of the caterpillar, telling me even teh smallest step will lead to a destination.

Gina, I love your view of the poems ❤

1. Gina says:

my pleasure and it was so uplifting!

3. Beverly Crawford says:

An old farmer used to say black caterpillars were harbingers of a snowy winter. I wonder what he would say of this confused fellow?! I enjoyed your words, and could almost smell the lavender and the orange.

Yes, I wonder also. It’s a sad thing they are waking up early. There was one fuzzy one like the one in the picture but there were some types without fur. Brrrrr! Glad you enjoyed the haibun, Beverly, thank you.

4. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

Essential oils combined with crystals create a halcyon space. Olfactory cues really alter emotions.

Glenn, I don’t know anything about crystals. Any suggestions for mood-lifting ones? Agreed on olfactory cues. This spritzer is like joy in a bottle.

5. Your poem was as cute as a bug.

In a rug? Did you ever get your laser eye surgery? Haven’t heard you mention it lately.

6. Tomorrow I go in to schedule the dates and sign paperwork. Surgery should be in March, thanks for asking.

7. A delightful, double-dose of spring-themed haibun! Well done!

Frank, thanks, very glad you enjoyed them.

8. hanspostcard says:

I’ve noticed a lot of books being checked out recently from the library on- Essential Oils. Hmm.

I was talking with my kids yesterday on our walk at the nature center. My DIL said “there are a bunch of pyramid schemes involving essential oils right now so be careful.” I know the lady who gave the talk isn’t part of it, but one of the women I sat near at it said the library (a different branch in the same district) had one woman who was doing a hard sell present and so many people complained they looked for someone they knew was not like that. So…. my guess is there is some kind of pyramid scheme with them going on and people wanting in on it are boning up on their knowledge?

1. hanspostcard says:

What I’ve noticed is- a number of books being sent to our patrons from other libraries- on order. Not sure how many of the books are in our library. Just something I noticed in recent weeks.

Our branch is quite small, so most anything I borrow from the library comes from other libraries. We have our 10 branches of the district, but we also borrow from across the whole state. Some libraries are more receptive to lending than others.

Lovely poems!

Sadje, thank you.

A pleasure Li

10. badfinger20 says:

That reminds me…I must get some more. I was using a lot when I had them…they made me peaceful.

essential oils? The book I just bought has a “basic group” of 12 oils that have a bunch of uses. When “payday” comes I’m buying some. A cheap place for herbs, teas, and essential oils is Penn Herbs. I think the Amish own it in PA.

1. badfinger20 says:

Yes…we have a couple of diffusers but I liked just manually putting some on my forehead…as dumb as that sounds…made me feel good.

Max, not dumb at all! I know this spritzer lifts my spirits every time I spray and smell it. I sprayed some on a kleenex and kept breathing it in.

11. kim881 says:

I enjoyed your double haibun, Jade, and the way it hit two senses. I love essential oils; lavender helps me get to sleep. I also like to watch caterpillars and ma surprised you’ve spotted some so early in the season.

The lady who gave the talk said lavender is her #1 go-to oil. I got some bath bombs for Christmas that were lavender scented and had lavender in the center that was floating around. It smells so good and is relaxing. Yes, we were shocked at the number of caterpillars crawling on the sunny concrete also.

12. lillian says:

Ah …. the scents and the sights. Loving this juxtaposition. And the photo of the fuzzy caterpillar is perfect!

Thank you, Lillian, glad you enjoyed them.

13. Sherry Marr says:

If a caterpillar is on the move, spring cant be far behind! I loved this!

Oh they were moving and moving fast (for caterpillars!)

14. Two Delightful haibun- I love all the details.

15. merrildsmith says:

Lovely scents and signs (or hopes) of spring coming.