dVerse — a day (or week) in the life — m-f

Image result for cubicle farm meme"

m-f

m
2 am
eyelid oil rigs pumping
4 am
sagging, then curling into nightmares
6 am
trying to catch up
4 pm
the late cubicle drop
6 pm
wrapping things up
8 pm
home. excuses on deaf ears
10 pm
eyeball mirrors flickering
12 am
tea & baileys intermission

t-f repeat

I tried to recall what it was like when I was working at my government job.

Sarah is today’s host for dVerse. Sarah says:
I want you to choose a day, and think about the features of that day. What’s your typical Monday? What does Friday mean to you? Is your day of rest a Saturday, or a Sunday, or a Tuesday? Then write me a poem about the way that day feels to you.

image link here

1. It sounds like you were living the dream.

The bill of goods that we were sold you mean? So many if onlys…

2. Gina says:

the drudgery and sense of choking on one’s own breathing is described so vividly

Thanks Gina. Glad to be out from under it.

3. 4963andypop says:

Thankless drudgery plus nightmares! Who could resist! Hope youre happier now. 😊

You know that Pink Floyd song, Comfortably Numb? I’m thawed out now after almost 2 years.

4. Frank Hubeny says:

Sounds like what it was like when I was working.

5. rivrvlogr says:

I’m glad that’s behind you.

6. Sherry Marr says:

Oh that sounds like a hard slog. Glad the load has eased now.

Thanks Sherry!

7. I could really feel the tension. I like the way you laid it out like a diary or a to do list. I’m so glad you’re retired!

8. Lael-Heart says:

Oooh that made my chest hurt SO BAD. Which is actually good, lol, because it tells me what I need to know about that kind of job ❤

Yes, good to remember. Not a life you want for yourself if you can avoid it!

9. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

I as a civil servant too, at a VA Blind Rehab center. I loved my job, but hated administration, or the lack of it.

love and hate relationship is a good way to put it. I loved working with the kids and their families (even if not under pleasant circumstances) but hated the reams of paperwork, duplicate data entry, lacking humanity in admin, and repeated incidents of sexual harassment visited upon myself and others.

10. These days you don’t even have a cubicle but have to find a desk in the free-seating area every day… cubicles seem a bit comforting these days.

Oh that is horrible, Bjorn! Musical desks! Let me guess, there is one less desk than there are employees? Taking chairs away from workers and replacing with a standing desk or a treadmill are other comfort-stealing trends my kids have told me about.